Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Grab your popcorn.
Here comes the circus.
Me personally? I’ve seen the performance before. It’s boring. Let me know when the show is over

Reactions: 3 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Worse comes to worst, we end up with at least two more first round draft picks to add to our already impressive haul.

Reactions: 2 users

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
Come on everyone chill out. Ralph Carr will do anything to get his boys fatter contracts, including dressing up as Shai's nanna.
It's all part of the show biz he brings.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
My point is that he wanted to go home to Perth but he never even considered Freo as an option; would only go to the Eagles. That's an indictment on Freo as a club when they can't even get consideration in a 2 horse race.
Freo, the seaside club that never landed a big fish.

Reactions: 1 user

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Grab your popcorn.
Here comes the circus.
Me personally? I’ve seen the performance before. It’s boring. Let me know when the show is over

Yep, we now how this movie ends.

WA is the bargaining chip. The “responsibility” reason is a great branding move. The mega trade news will raise Shai’s profile significantly this year. Ultimately, the responsibility part of the script means Shai will end up staying for the love of the club, while also earning enough money to send back to his family to fulfil his responsibility.

This is the beginning of a 4-month plan. Ralph is prepping his client well in advance... unlike when Dusty toured the GWS facilities at a similar age and we saw through the act.

The cool part of the story is Ralph knows how to build a brand. He knows how to build a celebrity. His network for it is already established... in VIC.

That means Shai is on a pathway to become a mega star, like Dusty, and that’s a movie everyone is going to want on blu-ray.

End spoiler.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Yep, we now how this movie ends.

WA is the bargaining chip. The “responsibility” reason is a great branding move. The mega trade news will raise Shai’s profile significantly this year. Ultimately, the responsibility part of the script means Shai will end up staying for the love of the club, while also earning enough money to send back to his family to fulfil his responsibility.

This is the beginning of a 4-month plan. Ralph is prepping his client well in advance... unlike when Dusty toured the GWS facilities at a similar age and we saw through the act.

The cool part of the story is Ralph knows how to build a brand. He knows how to build a celebrity. His network for it is already established... in VIC.

That means Shai is on a pathway to become a mega star, like Dusty, and that’s a movie everyone is going to want on blu-ray.

End spoiler.
Great movie.
Unless you’re a Richmond supporter.
Then it’s like watching Days of Our Lives.
We prefer to watch Premierships.

Reactions: 1 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I realise that in posting this I am going to look like a hypocrite. That only a couple of days ago I was having a crack at Karl Langdon for suggesting that Bolton was Freo bound. That is because only a little over a couple of weeks ago a close family contact to Bolton was saying how much he loved Richmond and was keen to stay.

Now that contact has suggested things have changed a bit. He loves Richmond but.....

Some people clearly don't know what Shai has overcome to make it at AFL level. I would doubt they'd make these sorts of comments if they did.

People should go and do some research on his background.

They might come to realise why his Mum and his Grandmothers are so important to him. You might also find out that they have been a massive part of his support structure while he has been at Punt Road let alone getting there in the first place. They often came over to Victoria to visit him prior to Covid.

No doubt Covid has made this so much harder, and at least one of his grandmothers is getting to the point where she can't make the trip anymore.

This is the same kid who designed our indigenous jumper last year with his family, with those very people who have supported him.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/487721...hFrom=1597816800001&type=video&videoId=487721

https://www.kgi.org.au/news/shai-bolton-and-family-design-richmonds-10th-dreamtime-jumper/

This is a kid who works with the Korin Gamadji Institute, and also with Culture is Life. This is a kid who is already emerging as a real leader of his people at the age of 22.

As recently as March, Ralph Carr was saying in the media that Bolton had pledged to stay at the Tigers. Now they are waiting until the end of the season. What has changed? I sincerely doubt that this is motivated by money.

Ralph Carr is no fool. He knows that staying at Punt Road is the best thing for Shai in terms of his football career and most likely Shai's life goals until his footy career finishes. He knows the Tigers want a deal and I would think are prepared to pay for it.

Of course Ralph is trying to get the best deal he can for Bolton, but my concern now is that he is trying to get the best deal from a WA club, not us. And that is because it will keep his client's options open at the end of the season.

If we lose Shai Bolton, we will have lost something far more special than just his footballing ability. Like every player on our list, he brings a lot more than just footballing ability.

And the point is, if Bolton leaves he is following his heart and his calling, not money. We just can't compete against that.

Reactions: 17 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I realise that in posting this I am going to look like a hypocrite. That only a couple of days ago I was having a crack at Karl Langdon for suggesting that Bolton was Freo bound. That is because only a little over a couple of weeks ago a close family contact to Bolton was saying how much he loved Richmond and was keen to stay.

Now that contact has suggested things have changed a bit. He loves Richmond but.....

Some people clearly don't know what Shai has overcome to make it at AFL level. I would doubt they'd make these sorts of comments if they did.

People should go and do some research on his background.

They might come to realise why his Mum and his Grandmothers are so important to him. You might also find out that they have been a massive part of his support structure while he has been at Punt Road let alone getting there in the first place. They often came over to Victoria to visit him prior to Covid.

No doubt Covid has made this so much harder, and at least one of his grandmothers is getting to the point where she can't make the trip anymore.

This is the same kid who designed our indigenous jumper last year with his family, with those very people who have supported him.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/487721...hFrom=1597816800001&type=video&videoId=487721

https://www.kgi.org.au/news/shai-bolton-and-family-design-richmonds-10th-dreamtime-jumper/

This is a kid who works with the Korin Gamadji Institute, and also with Culture is Life. This is a kid who is already emerging as a real leader of his people at the age of 22.

As recently as March, Ralph Carr was saying in the media that Bolton had pledged to stay at the Tigers. Now they are waiting until the end of the season. What has changed? I sincerely doubt that this is motivated by money.

Ralph Carr is no fool. He knows that staying at Punt Road is the best thing for Shai in terms of his football career and most likely Shai's life goals until his footy career finishes. He knows the Tigers want a deal and I would think are prepared to pay for it.

Of course Ralph is trying to get the best deal he can for Bolton, but my concern now is that he is trying to get the best deal from a WA club, not us. And that is because it will keep his client's options open at the end of the season.

If we lose Shai Bolton, we will have lost something far more special than just his footballing ability. Like every player on our list, he brings a lot more than just footballing ability.

And the point is, if Bolton leaves he is following his heart and his calling, not money. We just can't compete against that.

Streak - at the end of the day Shai needs to do what is right for Shai and I reckon COVID has made many people reconsider things.

I don’t want to lose a player like Shai when we are in the thick of premierships, or anytime really, but in Shai I trust.

The tigers wI’ll not leave anything on the table and will play a good hand, and I think the one point I struggle with in your post is the reference that Carr is trying to get the best deal for a WA club rather than us. Carr’s relationship with the tigers is as important as his players ( I assume most of his AFL players are tigers).

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I wish.

I have posted on here before that I have a very good contact regarding Shai, and that person has been adamant that Shai is happy at Tigerland.

Was talking to my contact today, and asked about Shai, and stuff me he sort of grimaced and said, not real sure things have changed.

Apparently he was talking to Shai on the weekend.

He told me that Shai is still very happy at Tigerland, but is weighing up the responsibility of moving back to WA to support his Mum and elderly Nanna.

Ralph Carr 101

Freo are *smile* and Adam Simpson is a moron.

But $hai will be 'spotted' touring one or both in about July. and even though he looked completely disinterested, even by his standards, the tigers will up the offer to include immortality, a norm smith eligibility in 2026 and free Kayo for nana

Last edited:

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I'll be spewing if he leaves; that said my frustration would be somewhat reduced by another flag.

If he leaves due to the family reasons outlined in Streak's posts then we just have to live with that. If he does leave I'd rather it be the Dockers than the Eagles.

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
Freo have a better chance at getting the 3 first rounders it would cost.

I don't think he'll go, he could sign now, or he could sign at the end of the year where an AA jumper, Norm Smith and Brownlow will add extra $$$ to his contract.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I don't think he'll go, he could sign now, or he could sign at the end of the year where an AA jumper, Norm Smith and Brownlow will add extra $$$ to his contract.

* he's not eligible for the Norm Smith wayne

• Haha

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I wouldn't be worried about this at this stage of the season. Yeah it's just Carr etc manouvering. Deal will be done end of season after we win the flag and Shai steals the Normie off dustin

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008

Good post

Something though about that last line though doesn’t sit right.

If (say) Freo offered less than Richmonds best offer and he took it and went home - then maybe he’d be following his heart.
But if they offered more than our best offer and he took it - then who knows? Maybe it would have been all about the money after all?

Hope like hell he stays

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
If $hai did go,

1. He'd become half the footballer he would have (which is still a pretty good footballer), and

2. we'd either just pick some kid from a lower league for free and turn him into a freak, or

3. say to someone, say Melee? MRJ? , 'you're gonna do $hai's freakish role in the process system. Your role is to be an un-tacklable, clearance machine and almost take mark of the years, OK? '

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Looks to me that he is loving his footy at the moment.
Looks in a good spot

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Sounds about right if you go with what Ralph has been saying. Was expecting it to be sorted earlier, then said end of the year suggests that something has changed in Shais mind.

Doesn't sound good. Fingers crossed we can convince him to stay.
I think Shai will want to sign a short term contract with us. Be here and be part of this great team for another two years, when Jack, Trent, Dave move on, so will he. I said this before, if he is part of a premiership or two between this year and the next two years, then if he wants to leave so be it. He is still young, be always be a Richmond man, and we get the two first round picks for him.

smokin joe

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 11, 2004
Richmonds culture has helped make Shai the player he is and can be .
I think Ralphy is smart enough to know this
Could be a very different place to be at Freo

Reactions: 1 users

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Richmonds culture has helped make Shai the player he is and can be .
I think Ralphy is smart enough to know this
Could be a very different place to be at Freo
Don't think he'd be half as effective at Freo.
Surrounded by plodders who would expect him to carry them.