Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Thought he played pretty well tonight. He is lightning quick and so good when the ball is on the deck. But his seeming refusal to do basics and kick easy goals is so frustrating. It was next level bad against Port. Not as bad tonight but that stupid snap from 25m set shot that didn’t make the distance was ridiculous. He also missed a pretty easy snap in the last quarter.

When he starts doing the basics and kicking those easy goals he’ll be in the top 5 players in the game. At the moment he is missing way too many easy goals.

Try the drop punt Shai. It’s pretty reliable.

Reactions: 2 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
The pile on will be full on for Shai next few days. Imagine that Dimma went hard on him tonight so that he can then defend him against every moralistic wanker out there.
I personally don’t like what he did but it’s not a capital offence. He will get a solid clip and never do it again.
Other than that had a great game.

Reactions: 4 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Pretty good game from Shai, but that snap in the 3rd. Why. You are 20 out on a slight angle, just kick the drop punt.

Still had a good game, had 6 shots at goal last week for 0.5, had 5 shots at goal tonight for 2.1 (2 were rushed). One of these days he's going to take a game by the scruff of the neck and really show how good he is, and how much of a matchwinner he is.

I have no real issue with the showing the ball thing, its not a massive issue, we are so focused on sanitising the game down these days.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Another great game by Shai. There's soo much brilliance that when he makes mistakes they stand out.
He was a big difference the game turned when we needed him. The X Factor is invaluable.

Reactions: 5 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I didn't mind the snap, just put some bloody hoof into it FFS. Curnow did exactly the same thing a minute later from the same distance and it went through post high.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I didn't mind the snap, just put some bloody hoof into it FFS. Curnow did exactly the same thing a minute later from the same distance and it went through post high.
Agree it’s one they don’t miss often. Shai isn’t a great drop punt set shot

Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
Thought he played pretty well tonight. He is lightning quick and so good when the ball is on the deck. But his seeming refusal to do basics and kick easy goals is so frustrating. It was next level bad against Port. Not as bad tonight but that stupid snap from 25m set shot that didn’t make the distance was ridiculous. He also missed a pretty easy snap in the last quarter.

When he starts doing the basics and kicking those easy goals he’ll be in the top 5 players in the game. At the moment he is missing way too many easy goals.

Try the drop punt Shai. It’s pretty reliable.
He has done this rushed around the corner snap falling short thing a couple of times before. I was predicting he would do exactly this as he rushes it too much and kicks the weight on the ball too skinny. Personally I think it is a lazy man’s attitude, does not want the pressure of kicking a straight run in set shot or defenders running at him once he has set himself properly from the top of his mark for an around the corner kick.

Yep, super-skilled and talented but a few wanker traits sneaking in lately. Needs a clip.

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
He has done this rushed around the corner snap falling short thing a couple of times before. I was predicting he would do exactly this as he rushes it too much and kicks the weight on the ball too skinny. Personally I think it is a lazy man’s attitude, does not want the pressure of kicking a straight run in set shot or defenders running at him once he has set himself properly from the top of his mark for an around the corner kick.

Yep, super-skilled and talented but a few wanker traits sneaking in lately. Needs a clip.
His performance output has dropped off a bit in the past 3-4 weeks.

His skill and ability to dazzle hasn't though hence he's been a bit cute.

Might be just having a lull.

Baker started the season slowly but is now in career best form.

Unbelievably talented lad. Just imagine how good he's gonna be when he puts it all together.

I just prey he's wearing a RFC guernsey when he does.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Could be wrong but looked to have done a hammy in the very last passage of play on the night.
Was limping after the game but didn’t look too distressed.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Could be wrong but looked to have done a hammy in the very last passage of play on the night.
Was limping after the game but didn’t look too distressed.
It looked like a jarred knee, as you say though, not too distressed.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
We need a 'Shai composure' button the coach can push anytime he gets it close to goal.
Love his flair but wish he'd put his brain in gear more often.

Just on the taunt. .... did he and Docherty have a bit of a run in a couple of years ago when Shai rubbed his head into the ground or give him a serve post goal and I think Jack at the time may have told him to pull his head in?

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
I worry that he's playing the Shai game not the team game too much and can understand that Dimma would be frustrated with that. It looks great when it all comes together but he exposes the team when it doesn't

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Unless a player is a certainty to make the distance with a “snap” - he should run straight and kick a standard shot.
I don’t know if he genuinely thought it a certainty - but it didn’t look like it from the stands.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Got the hair, got the show boat lair. Just waiting for Shai to buy himself a crop top n master the flop n I'll be happy to trade him.
Footy's a team game, it's not for prancing circus clowns.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Unless a player is a certainty to make the distance with a “snap” - he should run straight and kick a standard shot.
I don’t know if he genuinely thought it a certainty - but it didn’t look like it from the stands.

He can snap 40m off one step, just miss hit it.

Reactions: 1 user

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Why are we apologising for him showing the ball? What did Carlton pay for Jack Martin. Martin isn't in the same state when it comes to Bolton. With kicking the goal,
Who fken cares?? What's the difference from jumping around like a kokhead after kicking a goal. I would kicked in it into the choppers in the Carlton cheer squad.
Bolton dosent know how good he could be if he just started to learn to hit team mates up. Don't always go at 100 miles a hour.
He is a brilliant footballer

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Why are we apologising for him showing the ball? What did Carlton pay for Jack Martin. Martin isn't in the same state when it comes to Bolton. With kicking the goal,
Who fken cares?? What's the difference from jumping around like a kokhead after kicking a goal. I would kicked in it into the choppers in the Carlton cheer squad.
Bolton dosent know how good he could be if he just started to learn to hit team mates up. Don't always go at 100 miles a hour.
He is a brilliant footballer
It's like he killed someone. Where were these whinges when Divvyvan and Wingard did it last week!!