Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
The big surprise out of those attachments is that it says they believe we will re-sign Stack.
Cos he can clearly play.

Maybe the RFC should stick him back at HB where he plays his best footy FFS.

Can rotate the HBF's with Baker and Daniel.

He's the man for the likes of McCarthy who torched Short so bad he should've been transferred to the Alfred Burns Unit not the Forward line.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Might be back ended due to Dusty's 1 year after 2023 still to go.

Maybe Riewoldt and Cotch who are showing all indications of going on should play on substantially reduced contracts and i think they will freeing up some dosh.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Maybe Riewoldt and Cotch who are all showing indications of going on should play on substantially reduced contracts and i think they will freeing up some dosh.
I reckon thats a guarantee, Chimp and Jack will take another cut to go around again next year, and I reckon they'll be just fine with it, as will all Tigers fans who want them to go around again.

Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
HS Subsriber blocked article, does it shed any light on any further extension of Shai's end of 2023 contract? :

Shai and tell: Where Tigers stand with new Bolton deal

Shai Bolton is emerging as the most dynamic player in the game but what will the Tigers have to pay to keep him at Punt Road? And why is he so happy to sign a new deal?
His next contract (assuming he continues on this trajectory) will be $1m per season. Easy.

Reactions: 1 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Maybe Riewoldt and Cotch who are showing all indications of going on should play on substantially reduced contracts and i think they will freeing up some dosh.
Drafting a likely side for next season which includes Cotch and Jack, even allowing for other likely departures, (and the arrival of one of DeGoey, Dunkley, Green, Hopper or Taranto) shows just how limited the opportunities would be for the likes of Banks, Brown, Clarke, Graham, Gibcus, Miller, MRJ, Ross, Ryan, Sonsie and Stack.
Wouldn’t mind keeping both if it was understood they were likely to spend much of the year playing VFL, but otherwise their
taking away of opportunity from the above group would be painful for all concerned.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Agree. No greedy bastards in our club.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Drafting a likely side for next season which includes Cotch and Jack, even allowing for other likely departures, (and the arrival of one of DeGoey, Dunkley, Green, Hopper or Taranto) shows just how limited the opportunities would be for the likes of Banks, Brown, Clarke, Graham, Gibcus, Miller, MRJ, Ross, Ryan, Sonsie and Stack.
Wouldn’t mind keeping both if it was understood they were likely to spend much of the year playing VFL, but otherwise their
taking away of opportunity from the above group would be painful for all concerned.

Most of those you name, play completely different positions to Cotch and Jack. I was talking to my daughter about this this arvo. Cotch isn't restricting anyones game time, as there is not a gun midfielder currently playing in the 2's. Would you seriously want Dow or RCD in instead of Cotch right now? Cotch keeps none of the others out, Sonsie is playing WITH Cotch not instead of him, as is Graham.

Jack also is keeping none of them out of the team. Gibcus is not a forward, so plays back. IMO he will likely line up in a backline of Tarrant, Grimes, Balta and Gibcus next year. The 2 being kept out by that defence are Miller and Biggie.

You can't just throw names out and throw them into any old position, yes it gets them games but we suffer as a team which actually takes their development backwards.

No way are Cotch and Jack going to sign on another year to play VFL, sure they might play reduced games next year but both are good enough to go on and despite what you think are keeping no one out of the team.

Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I reckon thats a guarantee, Chimp and Jack will take another cut to go around again next year, and I reckon they'll be just fine with it, as will all Tigers fans who want them to go around again.

How awesome will it be to be able to welcome the 3rd of this group to the 300 club next year with Cotch. If Dusty goes on for a few more years, then he could be the 4th member of this team to make the 300 club.

Reactions: 1 user

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Yet you have been very consistent with stating that you want us to bring about 5 players in in the off season!! So what it is? Bring players in or not, or does it just depend which of your many personalities posts for you?
I want a Geelong salary cap

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
Did I read correctly that both Bolton and D Rioli moved onto new player managers?? Where they both with R Carr??? Interesting that his small stable seems to be dwindling quickly.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The media Shai love continues :

Tim Watson : "Is he the most watchable player in the game right now?"
Kane Cornes : describing the Richmond utility as “the best player in the game right now”.
Gerrard & Bobbo : Going Gaga about Shai on 360
Panel of experts right there mate.:))

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Most of those you name, play completely different positions to Cotch and Jack. I was talking to my daughter about this this arvo. Cotch isn't restricting anyones game time, as there is not a gun midfielder currently playing in the 2's. Would you seriously want Dow or RCD in instead of Cotch right now? Cotch keeps none of the others out, Sonsie is playing WITH Cotch not instead of him, as is Graham.

Jack also is keeping none of them out of the team. Gibcus is not a forward, so plays back. IMO he will likely line up in a backline of Tarrant, Grimes, Balta and Gibcus next year. The 2 being kept out by that defence are Miller and Biggie.

You can't just throw names out and throw them into any old position, yes it gets them games but we suffer as a team which actually takes their development backwards.

No way are Cotch and Jack going to sign on another year to play VFL, sure they might play reduced games next year but both are good enough to go on and despite what you think are keeping no one out of the team.
It is not as simple as that. You will note I didn't mention RCD or Dow. I was instead talking about players whose development through next year, is likely to make those two surplus to needs..
Do you really think our MRC classifies players as mids etc and sticks to that classification come what may. It doesn't happen that way. Look at Baker, Short even Marlion P.
Ditto with Jack. If he plays forward he has to play forward pocket next to Lynch, but if another takes over like for instance a Noah Balta, he might be selected to play across half forward. He has the speed that Jack doesn't now, and that creates other possibilities for smaller forwards around both himself and Lynch.
Again the position will become even more of an issue if we recruit a mid as is needed, and widely expected.

There are some great young players playing in our vfl team at the moment.
It is a fair bet to say that some are good enough to play at the higher level and have 100 game plus careers.
Providing those opportunities and seeing champions of the club off in an orderly way, is a big deal.
(Personally I would favour Cotch staying on but could see him rotating off the subs bench quite a bit).

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
How good is it when you open the Hearld sun and No speculation, No wait & see or im going to sit down with my manager.
Bolton is staying and wants to sign ASAP..
He loves the club.
He Loves Melbourne
He Loves the boys Rioli, Pickett & Castagna
He Loves Dimma
P.s thank *smile* he left the Ralph Carr

• Love

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Getting better an better , I think he’s always going to make the little errors with such a casual attitude and playing footy for the love of it , the concentration will always drift a tad , in saying that I think that helps make him the star he is. No surprise with his hands and agility he’s become a weapon in the middle , geeez if we could find a beast to work with him

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
Best player in the league

No one has his skill set currently, and I can't remember anyone being this dynamic or multi skilled in the last 20 years either

Can go in the middle get a CC, and then go up forward and stand on someone's head and then kick a goal on his left foot from the boundary.

All at just 23 yrs old.

Number 1 in the league is scoring chains

Has the highest ceiling in the AFL, yet people underrate and understate what he has allready achieved.

2 flags
Votes in finals series Gary Ayres Medal
Top 5 in the best and fairest in a premiership season
Will get his first Jack Dyer medal this year
Will finish top 10 in the AFL Coaches award this year
Will get his first AA jumper this year

Would not swap Shai for anyone in the AFL ATM, and I am being serious

Richmond fans don't appreciate what we have here, he is a unicorn

Reactions: 8 users