Pick 53: Jack Graham | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 53: Jack Graham

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
this is the elephant in the room..... scrapes into our best 26, perfect fit for the young crows, surely ain't gunna be captain material anymore with his form and injury issues. half glass full says he's awesome depth....half empty glass says he is a list clogger.

The fact that Dimma typically refers to him in glowing terms - such as him being a “warrior” - makes me think JG still has a role at our club.
And that’s even if we do gain both GWS boys

Reactions: 5 users

tropicaltiger

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Jan 11, 2003
cairns
The fact that Dimma typically refers to him in glowing terms - such as him being a “warrior” - makes me think JG still has a role at our club.
And that’s even if we do gain both GWS boys
Dimma was also in love with Caddy, Houli and George too. but it seems once your output dries up, you're easily replaced- George by MRJ, Lambert(inj) by Sonsie, Caddy by Cumbers and now Graham by Giants boys/Ross and emerging Cubs. it happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Interesting times for Jack… we should remember that even though it looks great on paper - Toranto, Hopper, Prestia, Dusty and Cotchin all have had injury problems over the last few years. Graham May stil be required to do some heavy lifting.

tropicaltiger

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Jan 11, 2003
cairns
Interesting times for Jack… we should remember that even though it looks great on paper - Toranto, Hopper, Prestia, Dusty and Cotchin all have had injury problems over the last few years. Graham May stil be required to do some heavy lifting.
graham injury history has been just as bad....so if jack is depth, its a conern with shoulder/s, hammy and now foot issues. jacks past history and playing style aint the recipe for a career playing over 30.

Tigers of Old

Proud of our Club.
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
A couple of weeks back I wondered about Graham's future role in the team with the expected arrival of Hopper & Tarranto, so it doesn't come as a huge surprise to me that his name has been bandied about in trade speculation today despite being contracted for 2023.
When fit he's obviously a good/required player so any potential suitors would need to pay a decent cost but it's also going to be hard to see where he fits in the the best 22 with all players available.
Watch & see I guess..

Reactions: 4 users

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
Would always expect Graham, if fit, to be in our best 22 because I just don't see the rest of our 2023 mids all being fit at the same time. Who knows who will be gone for 2024 so if he wants to stay there is room. Now for RCD its a very different story.

Tigers of Old

Proud of our Club.
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Was thinking a bit more about this.
Not only would JG be wondering about new recruits Taranto & Hopper coming in next season but the resurgeance of Chimp & his extended contract also has likely had some impact. Along with notable improvements in Jack Ross & Tyler Sonsie looking like he'll make the grade.
Graham no doubt would be wondering where he fits in next season. He may be looking for more opportunity & more midfield time after spending much of this season on a forward flank. Good on him for dipping his toe in the water.

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Not only would JG be wondering about new recruits Taranto & Hopper coming in next season but the resurgeance of Chimp & his extended contract also has likely had some impact. Along with notable improvements in Jack Ross & Tyler Sonsie looking like he'll make the grade.
Graham no doubt would be wondering where he fits in next season. He may be looking for more opportunity & more midfield time after spending much of this season on a forward flank. Good on him for dipping his toe in the water.
Still need Jack ToO. Midfield depth still an issue going forward even with the inclusion of T & H. Dion injury prone and Cotch has 1 yr left. Ross and SonZ largely unproven. Dusty will play more forward than previously and Shai will probably never be a full time mid. RCD and Dow are busts.

Reactions: 2 users

Tigers of Old

Proud of our Club.
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Still need Jack ToO. Midfield depth still an issue going forward even with the inclusion of T & H. Dion injury prone and Cotch has 1 yr left. Ross and SonZ largely unproven. Dusty will play more forward than previously and Shai will probably never be a full time mid. RCD and Dow are busts.
Has JG ever played as a primary midfielder & had success AT?
That to me is the biggest question, whether he can make that transition to a starting midfielder & win his own footy.
Been very good as a role player in the midfield but I think that too is still largely unproven.

Reactions: 3 users

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Rookie
Mar 5, 2021
I'm sure the club has regular conversations with all players about their performance and where they sit in the structure of the team. I would expect that Graham left the exit interview fully aware of where Dimma see's him, if he is an integral part of the team's plans for 2023, if the club would like to keep him but can't guarantee him best 22 status, or if it would be in his best interests to look elsewhere.

Last edited:

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
That to me is the biggest question, whether he can make that transition to a starting midfielder & win his own footy.
Been very good as a role player in the midfield but I think that too is still largely unproven.
Problem is I reckon he always get designated as that Defensive midfielder so he is not allowed to get out and just win his own ball. As a junior he didnt have any issues finding it and has had a few 30 plus games when his role has opened up. Its just that he is elite at pressure acts that he does not necessarily have to win a whole lot of his own ball to comply with coaches instructions. Typically averages in the high teens to low 20's. I dont think you can judge this year based on carrying his Turf toe when he relies on getting contest to contest

Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Not sure why, but I don't think he's ever been used as a pure inside ball hunting mid. Usually plays a more defensive pressure mid harassing the oppo midfielders.

Reactions: 5 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Not sure why, but I don't think he's ever been used as a pure inside ball hunting mid. Usually plays a more defensive pressure mid harassing the oppo midfielders.
When Graham broke into the team in 2017, it was on the back of 5 or 6 games in the VFL. He was injured upon arrival at the club and played his first VFL game mid-season. He immediately racked up 30+ touches a game in the VFL. He was then used as a role player in his AFL games. Tackling, pressure, two-way running, defensive wingman, high half forward, link man, etc etc.

He has never been allowed to play his natural game, which, in all likelihood, is accumulating possessions. I have no doubt that is what he would be at another club. Richmond don’t really rate the sideways game much.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
I love Jack Graham but he is now becoming marginal in the 22. He is tradeable and has currency. To get something you have to give something.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
The emergence of Ross as a more polished player this season probably hasnt helped his cause either ,

they have often been described here as being very similar types .

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Reckon he deserves the opportunity ToO.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Richmond don’t really rate the sideways game much.
Does Jack play a sideways game though??

Not a real lot wrong with getting the pill sideways at times if you're in and under the coal face getting the pill sideways into space to the likes of Dusty, Shai, Shedda either.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Graham is a gun.
A proven player.
Good for the club.
Hope he stays.

Reactions: 7 users

Stig

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 2, 2020
The emergence of Ross as a more polished player this season probably hasnt helped his cause either ,

they have often been described here as being very similar types .
Ross 8.2 average kicks over 15 games this season suggests he is a bit of a way off .