Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Re: Ben "MACHINE GUN" Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

A versatile athletic tall with toe and skill sounds like a promising prospect, will be very interesting prospect.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006

Miller I put in the Ratugolea basket, undersized as a ruck but could be super handy as a forward/second ruck. Probably the perfect pick this late in the draft.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London

I don’t mind the undersized ruckmen. Nank has shown this year that as long as the work is done around the ground, lacking a couple of centimetres is irrelevant.

Watching the GF over and over, it’s become quite apparent that Nank the Tank more than held his own against the apparent gun ruckman of the competition anyway.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

Midsy said:
I don’t mind the undersized ruckmen. Nank has shown this year that as long as the work is done around the ground, lacking a couple of centimetres is irrelevant.

Given Grigg & even Rioli spent time against Jacobs in the GF I'd say you're right. Traditional lumbering ruckmen & non mobile talls are an endangered species.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

Midsy said:

Watching the GF over and over, it’s become quite apparent that Nank the Tank more than held his own against the apparent gun ruckman of the competition anyway.
Yeah, I think the days over the “oversized” ruckmen are just about gone. A more mobile 195-199cm player is the way to go.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

ben-stiller-family-6-150x150.jpg

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

Tigers of Old said:
Traditional lumbering ruckmen & non mobile talls are an endangered species.
I'd say they're done, Oldie. Gawn. (Not Max, he can move.)

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010

From Kalgoorlie where they breed them tough.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

Smoking Aces said:
http://footyprophet.com/afl-draft-profile-ben-miller/

Seeing he travelled to Perth from Kalgoorlie on a weekly basis to play football should mean there is plenty of room for improvement in a professional football environment. Agree another perfect project player.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

caesar said:
Seeing he travelled to Perth from Kalgoorlie on a weekly basis to play football should mean there is plenty of room for improvement in a professional football environment. Agree another perfect project player.

Yeah just watched the roarvision interview with Matthew Clarke and this is what he said, Millers had limited training and probably has a huge amount of upside with his athleticism and speed. Clarke said he was surprised he lasted until 63.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

IanG said:
Yeah just watched the roarvision interview with Matthew Clarke and this is what he, Millers had limited training and probably has a huge amount of upside with his athleticism and speed. Clarke said he was surprised he lasted until 63.

Hopefully as surprised as getting Jack Graham last year ;D

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

Midsy said:

Correct. It's good to see we are ahead of most clubs with our philosophy on the game.

Miller looks like a competitive beast and is super quick.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW

Giardiasis said:
What’s the knock on him? Not enough exposed form?

That is what l reckon.

As some others have pointed out he is from Kalgoorlie and travelked weekly then he has had limited time in the system and away from constant scrutiny by the recruiters.

He resukts at the draft testing stood out. He is 93kg already and still posted quick times and agility.

Going to be like Graham from last year but just need to wait a year or two until he builds his endurance.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin

IanG said:
Yeah just watched the roarvision interview with Matthew Clarke and this is what he said, Millers had limited training and probably has a huge amount of upside with his athleticism and speed. Clarke said he was surprised he lasted until 63.

The only player this year they were surprised lasted so long

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014

good size for a key position so what is the preferred spot fwd or back?
with great speed, big leap and long reach it sounds like a career as a key back would suit. He could be primed to take over Astbury in 4yrs

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

He may have more growth in him?, not that he needs it as already tall enough for KPP but a couple of extra centimeters would be handy for any rucking aspirations. Found this little snippet:

He checked into the draft combine at 196cm and 98kg after growing about 3cm in the past five months.
“I’d like to hope I’m still growing. It would be good,” Miller said.
“I’m hoping to get a little bit bigger, but if I don’t, it’s no biggy.
“I’m at a pretty good size now.”

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne

Tigaman said:
From Kalgoorlie where they breed them tough.

Absolutely, and playing senior football there from age 15.

Can't see him as a TV or Watts type....won't mind the tough stuff.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003

Never seen him, but sounds pretty good from the write ups.

Good to see we took a few speculative talls.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006

caesar said:
He may have more growth in him?, not that he needs it as already tall enough for KPP but a couple of extra centimeters would be handy for any rucking aspirations. Found this little snippet:

He checked into the draft combine at 196cm and 98kg after growing about 3cm in the past five months.
“I’d like to hope I’m still growing. It would be good,” Miller said.
“I’m hoping to get a little bit bigger, but if I don’t, it’s no biggy.
“I’m at a pretty good size now.”

That would be fantastic, I remember Ryder being measured at 194cm at the draft camp, now he's 197cm. If Miller can add another few centimetres he'll be genuine ruck size.