Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Gets a big tick with his ball use, I hope he’s given a new deal.

Reactions: 1 users

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Would be a big relief if this bloke can make it. Even if he only plays 100 games that would give us time to recruit and develop other key backs.

Still reckon he's a long shot but the weekend's performance does provide some hope.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Was there a balance problem with Astbury, Balta (previously Rance), Grimes and Broad?
yes, there was. in 2020 we used Astbury, and Balta in the ruck a bit. then in the GF we again moved Balta cos we were too tall down back. Balta is agile but doesnt have the versatility of Rance, who could play literally on any forward.
i think our preference now is to play Grimes and Broad as talls, and Vlastuin at times too, rather than play a 2nd true tall.
this gives us room for 3 smalls- probably Short, Rioli and Stack to start the season.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Was there a balance problem with Astbury, Balta (previously Rance), Grimes and Broad?

We need a stopper to perform Asbury’s role and play on the gorillas. Grimes and Broad can play small or tall which has been a big benefit when opposition teams look for mismatches in their forward line… and our guys peel off to assist.

If Miller (or Talia) can perform that stopping role then Grimes can do more rebounding.

Astbury knew his limitations and didn’t take risks rebounding. Dave’s best asset was his marking ability (especially in packs) and his positioning to assist team mates. Not sure Miller or Talia possess the same marking ability as Astbury. If you punch 100% of the time as a defender… you become predictable to opposition small forwards. Astbury marked the ball more than he punched it.

What Miller does possess is speed and long levers. He closed late and spoilt well in a couple of the contests he was involved in on the weekend. I can’t see why we wouldn’t keep him on the list.
Miller has always demonstrated good judgement in deciding whether he can make the space to warrant leaving his immediate opponent, to smash the ball away from the contest in front. Apparently spent time with Rance early, developing this skill. Also pretty good at spoiling to advantage. Should get first crack at taking over from DA.
Article just published on Richmond's site appears to make his re contracting a sure thing.
Congratulations Ben.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Miller has always demonstrated good judgement in deciding whether he can make the space to warrant leaving his immediate opponent, to smash the ball away from the contest in front. Apparently spent time with Rance early, developing this skill. Also pretty good at spoiling to advantage. Should get first crack at taking over from DA.
Article just published on Richmond's site appears to make his re contracting a sure thing.
Congratulations Ben.
The must have listened to my promotional work for Ben! Seriously I hope he makes it as from his history he has the will and raw talent and now had a chance to show it on the big stage where he did more that just OK. He wont cost us much and his potential minimises any risk

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Here is the article

Big Ben grasps his opportunity
https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1007831

“Ben Miller made a decent fist of his long-awaited AFL debut with Richmond in last Saturday’s final home-and-away round match against Hawthorn at the MCG.

The athletic tall defender’s key statistics were fairly modest – six disposals, two marks and four intercepts. But he also had a game-high eight one-percenters, which highlighted the unsung, valuable role he played in the Tigers’ backline.

After spending four years on Richmond’s playing list without a senior appearance, that performance in the last round of the 2021 season should hold him in good stead moving forward.”

Reactions: 6 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Just watched his jumper presentation. On that alone I'd give him one year. If it's good enough for Grimsey, it's good enough for me.
One more year if nor two

Reactions: 4 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Grimes’s speech was a love story.
About a raw teenager who has had to work harder than anyone else because of his deficiencies. They’ve been honest with him and he’s accepted the challenge with a smile on his face.

Grimesy loves him. The Club loves him.
Now I love him.
A Richmond romance.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I don't think so. It allows him to be eased in as #2 or #3 back, extends Dylan's career by letting him go back to being the best small defender in the comp, and potentially frees Balta to go improve our forward line.

Reactions: 11 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Does getting Tarrant spell the end of Miller?
Ben was a rookie last season and I would imagine he will be a rookie for next season or if offered a place on the full list, he will still be on small coin. His one game showed us he has something so another year wouldn't harm his chances and could benefit us

Reactions: 5 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
He's an interesting player, isn't he? Scanlans skills. Elite athlete. Built for the game. That acceleration. Was it 2.89 for 20m? Eee-leet. Went ok on debut.

For some people it's never urgent. And if you're winning that's logical. But Ben isn't winning. A gerrie recruited.

It's urgent.

Reactions: 1 users

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield
Wasn't Miller trialled up forward and ruck in the VFL during the year.

Can he perform it at a standard close to CCJ and Chol if needed because of injuries

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014

Can he perform it at a standard close to CCJ and Chol if needed because of injuries
Think that was mostly Garthwaite who was trialled forward

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK

Yes he was and that is an interesting concept and probably another reason to keep him another year even on the rookie list

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
Ben was a rookie last season and I would imagine he will be a rookie for next season or if offered a place on the full list, he will still be on small coin. His one game showed us he has something so another year wouldn't harm his chances and could benefit us

Haven’t seen that speed on game day, but, has the tools, and will get another year.

If he does make it, it solves a big problem for us in ,the long term.

Means our defense is set in the long term

Balta, Miller, rioli, Short, Broad, JVR.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I liked what i saw against Hawthorn. I know it was a practice match but he looked comfortable out there. He could end up being that tall intercept defender we have been crying out for.
Fingers crossed, he stays injury free.