Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
Re: Ben "MACHINE GUN" Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

Check out the size of him on rfcs twitter.

He's bigger than CJ.

The guy's a monster.

What's his endurance like? Game sense?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

mad_tiggy911 said:
Check out the size of him on rfcs twitter.

He's bigger than CJ.

The guy's a monster.

What's his endurance like? Game sense?

Yeah he looks huge. Actually all our new recruits look well built. I miss the days when we recruited the likes of fiora polo nason webberly types lol.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

Here is an interview with Ben on MMM before the Draft:

https://www.triplem.com.au/shows/glenney/content/ben-miller-rising-sport-star

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003

tigerdell said:
good size for a key position so what is the preferred spot fwd or back?
with great speed, big leap and long reach it sounds like a career as a key back would suit. He could be primed to take over Astbury in 4yrs
I reckon the big lumbering ruck is dead. I would not be surprised to see three talls taking ruck duties but who are also KP types. e.g. CHF/Ruck who can mark, run, tackle and kick goals even if "undersized". A centre midfield ruck who has a massive leap for the tip off but becomes a mobile mid who can find the ball and a back/ruck who is a similar player to CHF/ruck.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

The Mole said:
I reckon the big lumbering ruck is dead. I would not be surprised to see three talls taking ruck duties but who are also KP types. e.g. CHF/Ruck who can mark, run, tackle and kick goals even if "undersized". A centre midfield ruck who has a massive leap for the tip off but becomes a mobile mid who can find the ball and a back/ruck who is a similar player to CHF/ruck.

I agree but the main reason is over time players are just getting taller, stronger and faster. It's hard to fathom that past greats such as Dyer 185cm and Royce Hart 187cm were same height as a Dusty Martin.

H tiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 3, 2005
Miami style bling bling

Brother in law works in Kal and is involved in footy out there. Sent me a short text after the draft.

Saw you drafted young Ben Miller. CAN PLAY.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

H tiger said:
Brother in law works in Kal and is involved in footy out there. Sent me a short text after the draft.

Saw you drafted young Ben Miller. CAN PLAY.

That's what we like to hear H.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).

bullus_hit said:
Miller I put in the Ratugolea basket, undersized as a ruck but could be super handy as a forward/second ruck. Probably the perfect pick this late in the draft.

I’ve looked at the PRO training vision and I can’t see how he’s shorter than CJ at 201 cm.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014

Looks very good in his highlights, great leap and mark, quick, well balanced, strong at the footy and spoke very confidently in his RFC interview. Both he and Balta look better footballers than CJ who looks a bit lumbering like Hampson. So why was CJ taken so early? Just bc he's a 201cm/ruck?
I think both Miller and Balta are better than Chol right now and may prove better than Garthwaite, Moore and Griffiths.
Great long-term replacements for Jack R., Griffiths and our full-back line.
Excellent recruiting.

Blind Turn

Tiger Superstar
Mar 19, 2014

tigermike said:
Looks very good in his highlights, great leap and mark, quick, well balanced, strong at the footy and spoke very confidently in his RFC interview. Both he and Balta look better footballers than CJ who looks a bit lumbering like Hampson. So why was CJ taken so early? Just bc he's a 201cm/ruck?
I think both Miller and Balta are better than Chol right now and may prove better than Garthwaite, Moore and Griffiths.
Great long-term replacements for Jack R., Griffiths and our full-back line.
Excellent recruiting.

Or first Miller brought us J.O.M.
Our second Miller brought us Pia.
Looking forward to our newest Miller bringing us Joy

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

From the RFC website "Miller a Gold Prospect":

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-12-01/miller-a-gold-prospect

It’s fitting that Richmond recruit Ben Miller hails from the Western Australian gold-mining town of Kalgoorlie because the Tigers might just have struck gold with their late selection of him in the 2017 AFL national draft.

Miller, a tall utility, who was Richmond’s fifth and final pick – No. 63 overall – shapes as a draft bargain.

He played senior football with local Kalgoorlie team, Railways, at just 15 years of age, and has made significant progress since then.

In 2015, he was selected in the WA State under-16s Academy; the following year he made his debut with WAFL club Subiaco’s colts team.

VIDEO: Pick 63, Ben Miller

And, throughout what was an extremely hectic 2017 season, Miller shone.

He managed to combine studying in his final school year in Kalgoorlie with playing local football there, as well as the constant lengthy travel to Perth to play for the Subiaco colts.

So impressive were his performances at colts level, he was chosen in the WA squad for the 2017 under-18 national championships.

Miller showcased his excellent athleticism and all-round ability during all four games at the carnival.

Playing as a ruckman/forward, he had the most hit-outs for WA, the fourth most tackles, the fifth most clearances and seventh most contested possessions.

He then finished the season superbly back in Kalgoorlie, as best-on-ground for Railways in their Goldfields Football League grand final victory.

At the post-season AFL draft combine, Miller finished equal first in the agility test, equal first in the goalkicking test (with a perfect score of 30 out of 30 shots for goal), and equal fourth in the 20-metre spring.

Subiaco colts coach Beau Wardman provided a good insight into Miller’s growth as a player and his potential.

“Ben’s development throughout 2017 has been huge,” Wardman said.

“He’s extremely dedicated, managing travel commitments with living in Kalgoorlie and often training in isolation.

“Ben has great athleticism for a big man, and he gave great service to his teammates through his improved ruckwork.

“He also showed he has the ability to turn a game, with his goal sense and overhead marking.

“Ben is a really impressive kid. He’s a confident, young man with great character and care for his peers.

“His willingness to learn, and then implement, is why he has been so successful this year, and only better things are on the horizon for him.”

Subiaco talent manager Michael Farmer was similarly positive about Miller’s football prospects.

“Ben showed great commitment this year with his commute from Kalgoorlie to Perth for training and games,” Farmer said.

“For his age and size, we think Ben is an elite prospect for the next level, who can really grow into a premier big man.

“Great skills and great athleticism for his size, he has the tools to make an impact at the next level.

“He is a tough, strong presence in the ruck, and presents well when forward. And his second, third and fourth efforts are outstanding for a big man.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like the sound of second, third and fourth efforts, (almost Vickery like ;D)

Blind Charlie

Talk is cheap,just do it !
May 20, 2015

Going to change my thinking on this pick,usually hate taking rucks with draft picks but starting to think the kid could be a genuine forward.
Wasn't aware he did a 2.91 20m @ the combine. :eek:
Time will tell but maybe we got a bargain with this kid.

pokey

Coffee never tasted so good
Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
betterlifecoachingblog.com

Love the back story of a resilient, focused young man who had to travel long distances just to play every week.

These kids aren't handed everything to them on a platter and often go on to display the work ethic required to make it in the AFL system.

Reminds me a bit of KMac's story.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

Blind Charlie said:
Time will tell but maybe we got a bargain with this kid.

Don't reckon we need any time to tell, its plain as the nose on my face that he is the next Roachy. 8-

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

I like his agility. Not a lumberer.