Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
So my point in all this is that I see no heir apparent for Tarrant other than Miller.

Just reposting a Kane Lambert quote from my training report awhile back:

I asked Lambo about Tylar Young, he said "Only been playing footy for 4 years, will work well with Truck, a Tarrant type with more speed"

Ok Tylar would have to come from the clouds but you don't recruit a 24 year old unless you have a role pegged for him.

Reactions: 7 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne

I asked Lambo about Tylar Young, he said "Only been playing footy for 4 years, will work well with Truck, a Tarrant type with more speed"

Ok Tylar would have to come from the clouds but you don't recruit a 24 year old unless you have a role pegged for him.
I actually like the Tylar Young selection
just turned 24 in september and physically ready and has the athletic ability and speed

12 months playing in our reserves and learning game style/plan and being mentored by Grimes, Tarrant , Vlastuin , Broad whislt training against Jack & Tom as well as being coached by Truck

Could be a ready made replacement to Tarrant in 2024

Reactions: 5 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

Its speculative but a good one to take a punt on.

How old was Broad when he was recruited as a mature age - I seem to recall he was a similar age, maybe a tad younger.

Reactions: 1 user

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia

Fair point.

I don't know much about Young. Good to see we are adding some depth to cover this role.

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

Makes it even more likely Miller goes forward.

• Wow

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Late draft pick on a speculative tall from Kalgoorlie. Minimal junior development as he struggled to get to Perth for elite junior training sessions, was always going to be a long term developer. Then not long after we drafted him the covid *smile* hit the fan n completely cocked up the development n growth of many young players.
Got no idea where his ceiling is, but he's just starting to hit the age bracket where the taller players start to come on and establish themselves physically. Funky's not a premium elite pick at the top of the draft like the Kings or McKay's yet he's managed to get some senior games n fill holes for us. Another step up this year n I'm thinking he'll be showing enough to be a regular long term senior contributor. There's holes coming up in the side for a bloke his size n I'm thinking he can step up to filling one.
In his time at the club it was a pretty easy side to get into.
Lucky he didn't go to the Bombers.

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon

Plus Broady was 23 when he debuted. Hasn’t missed a beat since.

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
I'd play Gibcus, Grimes and Tarrant back and Balta forward/ruck.

I have a feeling this might be the year Nankervis starts to feel the pinch physically, so Soldo might be required to do more upfront.

28 is old in crash and bash ruckman years.
Bumford went on until 40.

YeOldeTiger

Tiger Rookie
May 25, 2020
Far Side of the Moon
The 2nd ruck position is the most intriguing.
Do we go a true ruckman like Soldo to give Nanks a chop out for 10 minutes of each quarter or do we play Miller who can fill a variety of positions but most likely ruck and forward?
Miller gives us a lot more flexibility but they may want to play Soldo into form.
Would think it has to be one or the other
Let Soldo build form in the VFL until he's dominating there and knocking the door down to get into the ones. I think it's what we should have done last year as he was incredibly underdone coming back from the knee reco. Miller has been solid and offers more variety and back up key forward and key defence. A perfect big utility.

Reactions: 5 users

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Made his debut when he was 21 and played 11 games the next season. He turned 23 in August.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
He missed a couple of beats in his 1st season- 2016? he didnt look to flash i reckon in his 2(?) games, quite panicky and fumbly.
but since he returned to the team mid 2017 he has certainly be fantastic.

Reactions: 1 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Th.e beauty about having Tarrant at Richmond is its given time for players like Miller , Biggy , Gibcus extra years to get upto speed and develop without pressure to play the KPD position too early whilst also learning from Tarrant whilst he is on our list.

Big year for all 3 young players to show development in readiness for 2024 season and beyond

Reactions: 7 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Broady was drafted as a utility defender yet in most of his VFL games I saw in 2016 he played on a wing in a VFL side that was complete sheizen.

No surprise when he went back to defence with a single defined role to play in the system he flourished.

It was Rutten who organised for Broad to go back in defence in the role he made his own and flourished in whilst Broady was recovering from a bad AC joint separation injury post surgery.

Great coaching by Truck on a few fronts as his move not only saved Nathans career but it also was the move that provided the missing brick in the Tigers vaunted interchangeable and versatile defensive Wall, utilising the flexibility of Grimes, Rance, Vlastuin, and Broady on all comers tall or small, whilst Dave handle the Gorillas.

On the chopping block to a now 3 time Premiership Defender of quality and reliability who has become a incumbent and key yet unheralded member of the side since 2017.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Broady was drafted as a utility defender yet in most of his VFL games I saw in 2016 he played on a wing in a VFL side that was complete sheizen.

No surprise when he went back to defence with a single defined role to play in the system he flourished.

It was Rutten who organised for Broad to go back in defence in the role he made his own and flourished in whilst Broady was recovering from a bad AC joint separation injury post surgery.

Great coaching by Truck on a few fronts as his move not only saved Nathans career but it also was the move that provided the missing brick in the Tigers vaunted interchangeable and versatile defensive Wall, utilising the flexibility of Grimes, Rance, Vlastuin, and Broady on all comers tall or small, whilst Dave handle the Gorillas.

On the chopping block to a now 3 time Premiership Defender of quality and reliability who has become a incumbent and key yet unheralded member of the side since 2017.
Meanwhile I’m
Screaming for him to be a wingman

• Haha
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Been a slow burn this fella & a truck load of development has gone into him. Many have doubted Ben too along the way since being recruited late back in 2017.
However after breaking out last year, this season is hopefully the one where it all clicks for him & he becomes a real player.
Clearly part of our plans as a second ruck/forward, if he believes he actually belongs then I think he has a pretty high ceiling.
Can't wait to see what Funky brings..

Reactions: 18 users