Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Been a slow burn this fella & a truck load of development has gone into him. Many have doubted Ben too along the way since being recruited late back in 2017.
However after breaking out last year, this season is hopefully the one where it all clicks for him & he becomes a real player.
Clearly part of our plans as a second ruck/forward, if he believes he actually belongs then I think he has a pretty high ceiling.
Can't wait to see what Funky brings..
He can achieve if he believes !

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Been a slow burn this fella & a truck load of development has gone into him. Many have doubted Ben too along the way since being recruited late back in 2017.
However after breaking out last year, this season is hopefully the one where it all clicks for him & he becomes a real player.
Clearly part of our plans as a second ruck/forward, if he believes he actually belongs then I think he has a pretty high ceiling.
Can't wait to see what Funky brings..
Agreed

Reactions: 1 user

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Terrific progress after his return to the team last year and during this preseason.
Bigger, stronger and faster than ever.

Now a similar size and with the same athletic prowess as Geelong’s Mark Biclavs.

Going well and is still very much in the improver category. Predict he will follow the Biclavs path.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
2023 is the year Miller needs to take the next step and make the 2nd ruck/fwd role his own

Reactions: 5 users

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Terrific progress after his return to the team last year and during this preseason.
Bigger, stronger and faster than ever.

Now a similar size and with the same athletic prowess as Geelong’s Mark Biclavs.

Going well and is still very much in the improver category. Predict he will follow the Biclavs path.

I know Funky has some fantastic athletic attributes however Biclavs was an Australian representative 1500m runner from memory, this isnt AFL quality its beyond elite in that aspect.

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I know Funky has some fantastic athletic attributes however Biclavs was an Australian representative 1500m runner from memory, this isnt AFL quality its beyond elite in that aspect.
Yeah, Miller is a big man and quite agile, but not sure about a comparison to Blicavs. Blicavs is probably only the 2nd true key position player/ruck size in recent years who has also been a success on a wing, behind the great Richo. Many young talls get suggested as wings, but the reality for most trying to lug 100ks up and down the field is too much.

I do look forward to seeing what Miller can bring as a forward/2nd ruck.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Blicavs has run comfortably sub 6mins 2km time trial, like a 5 30 something.

Taranto maybe gets in around 6 mins or just below and is considered around the best in the business.

I reckon @caesar could confirm if Miller ran with Blicavs it would be ugly.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Miller was just behind Narkle in the second group ( about 6.50 ) all this means is that if Miller runs as the second ruck in 5-7 min spells then Millers speed and higher leap

should enable him to match it with Blicavs After that Blicavs superior endurance will enable him to dominate.

Fortunatly for Miller he is only the second ruck.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

Taranto maybe gets in around 6 mins or just below and is considered around the best in the business.

Endurance wise yes Blicaves easy, pace wise Miller is right up there.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

From vague memory Blix was only a pencil n maybe about 80kg when he was running them Olympic 1500 metre times. Curious as to what times he'd run with 100kg of AFL frame instead of Olympic skeleton.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014

Ive had the same thought as Maso.
Is that 530something as an athlete or footballer?
The extra muscle mass would be a significant detraction right?

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Same height, maybe 10kg lighter and around 7 years younger.
No need to compare him to Biclavs.
Our player is going to make his own
mark on the game.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I cannot see Miller as a winger and with the players we altrady have listed im not too sure why we would even consider him in that role

Ralphsmith , Pickett , Mcintosh , Banks , Smith and a few more that could play that role

We need miller to be playing 2nd Ruck/Fwd or even KPD so many big man roles we can utilise him what could he offer as a wing that we dont get with Hugo or McIntosh

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Ive had the same thought as Maso.
Is that 530something as an athlete or footballer?
The extra muscle mass would be a significant detraction right?

I think that's what he was doing in the early days, might have lost a few seconds but he is still a renown sub-six which is incredible for a big man.

I guess the point is comparing Miller or anyone to Blicavs in terms of running power is unfair on them. He's like the Don Bradman of running capacity for big men in the AFL.

He averages 99, the next best is Richo on about 60.

• Dislike

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I think that's what he was doing in the early days, might have lost a few seconds but he is still a renown sub-six which is incredible for a big man.

I guess the point is comparing Miller or anyone to Blicavs in terms of running power is unfair on them. He's like the Don Bradman of running capacity for big men in the AFL.

He averages 99, the next best is Richo on about 60.
Richo still an aerobic beast and recently blew his good mate Pettifer up on Anderson St hill whilst running the tan.
Kayne was in full training for a fight and in supposedly peak condition.
Richo looks like he could play tomorrow

• Love

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
We need miller to be playing 2nd Ruck/Fwd or even KPD so many big man roles we can utilise him what could he offer as a wing that we dont get with Hugo or McIntosh
This times a thousand, he's just starting to find his feet and 2nd ruck, don't move him around. He can play a very valuable role this year.

Sounds silly but if Nank got injured, I'd still prefer Soldo as the number one ruck and Miller as the 2.

• Love

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Richo still an aerobic beast and recently blew his good mate Pettifer up on Anderson St hill whilst running the tan.
Kayne was in full training for a fight and in supposedly peak condition.
Richo looks like he could play tomorrow

Absolute machine, I worked with someone who used to play on him a lot early days and he said it was basically impossible to play on him because no-one else in the competition could run like him.

You literally had to set yourself for one or two games a year and do a completely different level of running than any other week of the season.

• Love

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Absolute machine, I worked with someone who used to play on him a lot early days and he said it was basically impossible to play on him because no-one else in the competition could run like him.

You literally had to set yourself for one or two games a year and do a completely different level of running than any other week of the season.
As you well know, there’s endurance runners and then there’s gut runners.
Richo’s endurance ability, but more importantly, desire for the ball and willingness to run “hurt”, made him a unique player at 6’6”. Repeat efforts and yo-yo running different than straight line running up and down the wings.
I don’t know if Biclavs wants the ball as much as Richo did. Be a fascinating duel if those guys played on each other in their primes.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
As you well know, there’s endurance runners and then there’s gut runners.
Richo’s endurance ability, but more importantly, desire for the ball and willingness to run “hurt”, made him a unique player at 6’6”. Repeat efforts and yo-yo running different than straight line running up and down the wings.
I don’t know if Biclavs wants the ball as much as Richo did. Be a fascinating duel if those guys played on each other in their primes.
Richo wins for mine.

• Love