Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
miller would get killed my hawkins, just not strong enough in contested marking and body work

hawkins is a man mountain, tarrant our only option

miller deserves another chance, but not against hawkins

Reactions: 6 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
miller would get killed my hawkins, just not strong enough in contested marking and body work

hawkins is a man mountain, tarrant our only option

miller deserves another chance, but not against hawkins
Cathwaite + Miller = No Good

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Keep hearing clubs are looking for key defenders for 2023.
Tarrant just starting to become a solid player.
Gibcus needs a break.

Getting to the pointy end where the team needs to be settled.
Think we may regret not giving Miller more opportunity.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Keep hearing clubs are looking for key defenders for 2023.
Tarrant just starting to become a solid player.
Gibcus needs a break.

Getting to the pointy end where the team needs to be settled.
Think we may regret not giving Miller more opportunity.
Sort of agree and don't agree, realistically it's only been the last month or so that Ben has deserved to come under serious consideration.

I do agree that this week would have been a good opportunity to give Gibcus a spell and Ben a game.

Reactions: 1 user

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Sort of agree and don't agree, realistically it's only been the last month or so that Ben has deserved to come under serious consideration.

I do agree that this week would have been a good opportunity to give Gibcus a spell and Ben a game.
Has put in a serviceable game in all but one, Adelaide. Still doubt on Tarrant's speed, and if that becomes an issue over the next few months who knows.
Miller should be getting games while he is in career best form and particularly now for that reason, and because Gibbo at 18, is beginning to struggle.

Reactions: 4 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Other posters have said he had another good game in the twos today so has to be pushing for promotion to take tired and aging first teamer places. We have put years into him and now he is hitting his straps we don't want our hard work benefiting another club come season end

Reactions: 5 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I think it's down to whether the coaches see more value in persisting with Gibcus down back or not. That's the only way he gets in barring injury.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Miller should pack his bags and head home.
Chill, zips, chill.

Miller has had to contend with COVID where there was very little VFL, sometimes it takes a few years, like it did with Rance and Astbury.
His marking has improved (it will be tested on Saturday in greasy conditions) and his kicking is elite, I'm not saying he will be anywhere near as good as them, but I think he has the attributes to have a decent AFL career.

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
On a greasy/wet surface Good Luck
Good selection IMHO Every tall on the ground will face the same conditions. Miller doesn't have to mark the ball at all. He has been playing a rebounding role in the VFL. Miller will just have to man Chol up. Easy assignment.
The team is training at Metricon late today so they get a feel for the conditions.
I haven't seen us lose at that ground since Ty Vickery/Steve Morris were in the team. A lot of night games. Slippery ball is nowhere near as bad in an early evening game with new balls every qtr.
Aarts selection is the annoying one

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
I am liking Miller's progress this season. has really stepped up at VFL level to be a consistent defender that is also winning plenty of ball and using it well. It's all we can ask of our fringe players as they push for senior selection. If he gets a regular run at AFL, and starts to believe he belongs at the level, then I think we have our Tarrant/Grimes replacement in years to come to compliment Balta and Gibcus. A 198cm defender is needed in this modern age against the string of tall forwards coming through the competition.

Reactions: 7 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Way less bullish than most on our 5th year, 198cm back flanker. For all his considerable physical attributes, he rarely if ever shows them in a game and while he’s started finding much more of the ball at VFL level, I would still describe his contested work as tentative at best.

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
Way less bullish than most on our 5th year, 198cm back flanker. For all his considerable physical attributes, he rarely if ever shows them in a game and while he’s started finding much more of the ball at VFL level, I would still describe his contested work as tentative at best.
As 22 y.o. tall I'll cut him some slack. I thought his debut was good but didn't play with much confidence after that. I only watch a bit of VFL but he's getting a lot of the ball. His role in the AFL is probably more traditional defender. See how he goes

Reactions: 1 user

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Funny how the mind works.

I was thinking why bring Miller in?
We've got Tazz and they've got no talls with King out.
Had completely forgotten about Marbs/Casboult.
Don't associate them as Suns players.

So Miller/Marbs, Tazz/Casboult?