Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Yep adds way more than Soldo.

Miller - ruck work - pretty good
Miller - 2nd efforts in the contest - excellent
Miller - Can move forward and back when not in the ruck - flexibility is immense

If Miller finishes this year strong in the ruck, if we are confident in Ryan, then maybe Soldo will be used as trade bait to help us get some of our trade targets
I'm naturally biased against trading our players, prefer to keep em all. So let's get that out of the way...

Next year we might have
Nank, Soldo, Ryan, Miller, Mate.

Trade Soldo and an injury to Nank would leave us very green.
We should be contending.

I'm guessing Soldo doesn't cost much capspace.
List development? We,re in top shape with plenty of kids.

Rucks are expensive to get when you don't have one. I'd prefer to keep our #2

Reactions: 6 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Who would have thought a few weeks ago we would be preparing for finals with Miller, Cumberland, MJ, Sonsie and Gibcus in our starting 22? Some would have had Miller and Cumbo in the departure lounge.

Reactions: 10 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Set shot at goal was beautiful. The little tap In the square to cumberland flashing past also really nice forward/ruck craft. Clearly really confident in his body and overhead strength.

Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Set shot at goal was beautiful. The little tap In the square to cumberland flashing past also really nice forward/ruck craft. Clearly really confident in his body and overhead strength.

Shane Edwards' mark deep in the pocket was also made possible by Miller staying down and keeping an opponent from getting to the drop of the ball. He's using his size effectively in different types of situations around the ground. Lots of little positive signs adding up.

Who would have thought a few weeks ago we would be preparing for finals with Miller, Cumberland, MJ, Sonsie and Gibcus in our starting 22? Some would have had Miller and Cumbo in the departure lounge.

I didn't think we'd have 5 <10 game players in the team at the same time while we're doing it, and especially Cumbo and Miller, who both came out of nowhere. I did argue strongly last month that we'd definitely make the finals with a refreshed 22, so I'll still partially claim it! :p

We'd be happy just to have 2 of those late season Graham/Townsend type bolters, and thrilled to have 3.

But 5?!

Covid disruptions really clouded the development of guys like Miller and Cumbo.

I wonder how many other sudden emergences we could see. Might be a bad year to delist any 50/50 calls for players under 22.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
He has something which sets him apart and really makes all things possible.
Speed and the anticipation to go with it.
Will be a star.

Reactions: 1 user

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Fantastic! The kid actually wakes up now knowing he is our future.
Nice hands, mobile, and a beautiful kick.
His improvement has help the way we play.
We have an extra runner thanks to miller's form. No need for soldo.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Fantastic! The kid actually wakes up now knowing he is our future.
Nice hands, mobile, and a beautiful kick.
His improvement has help the way we play.
We have an extra runner thanks to miller's form. No need for soldo.
He has great hands. Far better than I thought. They will only get better with confidence and experience too.

What I love is that as a second ruck he bring massive flexibility with his ability to play either end if we need to cover an injury. That’s huge and something most clubs don’t have.

Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I didn't think we'd have 5 <10 game players in the team at the same time while we're doing it, and especially Cumbo and Miller, who both came out of nowhere. I did argue strongly last month that we'd definitely make the finals with a refreshed 22, so I'll still partially claim it! :p

We'd be happy just to have 2 of those late season Graham/Townsend type bolters, and thrilled to have 3.

But 5?!

Covid disruptions really clouded the development of guys like Miller and Cumbo.

I wonder how many other sudden emergences we could see. Might be a bad year to delist any 50/50 calls for players under 22.
it just shows that our vfl program and development program is still elite. Don't worry about where the vfl team is on the ladder, their job is to prepare players for AFL and they do it really well

Reactions: 6 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The only thing holding Miller back is himself. Either it's just his demeanor, or he still doesn't realise how much impact he can have in a game.

Most pleasing aspect of his game for me is that he times his marks so that he clunks them at the highest possible point making it very hard to spoil.

Reactions: 4 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
The only thing holding Miller back is himself. Either it's just his demeanor, or he still doesn't realise how much impact he can have in a game.

Most pleasing aspect of his game for me is that he times his marks so that he clunks them at the highest possible point making it very hard to spoil.

He's tracking very well. Good pace and kick. Starting to understand the caper.

Almost the same height as Nank. 199 v 198cm. Just needs to start getting down and dirty a bit like Nank.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
He was the ultimate project player in his first year. Was way off it. Couldn't get a kick.

Definite cudos to the development team.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
I'm naturally biased against trading our players, prefer to keep em all. So let's get that out of the way...

Next year we might have

We should be contending.

Soldo needed this year to get over the knee injury. Expect him to be better in 2023. So all for keeping him.

However looking at the overall list I am also open to trading him if it helps with midfield upgrades or KPF.

If trading Soldo helps gets us one of the GWS mids (or two) and we keep some draft picks, then I am listening

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

Next year we might have

We should be contending.

Agree, while everyone is tradeable at the right price, trading Soldo would leave us with 2 ruck who dont have a possession in the AFL between them (1 of whom is probably another 2 years away). and Miller, who is going ok as the 2nd ruck/forward. Playing no1 ruck is very different.
Ryan looks a great prospect, but I would hate for him to be forced to be the No1 ruck each week if Nank went down.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerhalsey

RICHOOOO What A Mark!!
Jul 28, 2007
Melbourne
Great if heaven forbid Nank went down in the game, we could then move balta and miller into the ruck and still be competive mid game.

Reactions: 3 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

Until this VFL season contested marking and marking in general was my biggest knock on Ben he tended to hold back and not attack the contest and struggled to one grab anything, (even at training), played small but was still very good at ground level for a big man with great disposal both by hand and foot.
I know I posted on multiple occasions over the years that if only he could start holding his marks and become better in the contest then he had real chances of making it.
He then went BANG! this year in the VFL from a low possession player to a couple of 20+ games and strong with his marking.
Early signs are good at the next level, it's like watching a different player , hope his graph continues to rise.

Reactions: 13 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Until this VFL season contested marking and marking in general was my biggest knock on Ben he tended to hold back and not attack the contest and struggled to one grab anything, (even at training), played small but was still very good at ground level for a big man with great disposal both by hand and foot.
I know I posted on multiple occasions over the years that if only he could start holding his marks and become better in the contest then he had real chances of making it.
He then went BANG! this year in the VFL from a low possession player to a couple of 20+ games and strong with his marking.
Early signs are good at the next level, it's like watching a different player , hope his graph continues to rise.
I think it is a question of his growing confidence. Earlier I thought his best posit was as a defender because of his speed and ability to know when he could reach the next contest and spoil.
As a forward though he has a license to mark and taking it high or low, he is really starting to shine.
Morris Jr is getting the publicity but Miller and Sonsie could also inflict some real damage over the next 6 weeks.