Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
thejinx said:
:-\ Kicks like my girlfriend when I force her to have a kick with me.

I don't have to force my missus to have a kick with me, she kicks me under the table :hihi

Cotchin99

Tiger Cub
Mar 15, 2014
For those who read BigFooty, knight mate had him at 28, said he only lost two one on one contests all year which is massive. Likens him to Steven May. Could be a massive steal

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
He looks OK. His skill work at the combine was pretty good.

Cant see him kicking long very well though with that ball drop although it might work over short distances Krakour style.

Only real negative is the physical resemblance to Taylor Hunt. Maybe Balmey and the assistants will swap him Fine Cotton style without Dimma noticing. ;D

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
lamb22 said:
Only real negative is the physical resemblance to Taylor Hunt. Maybe Balmey and the assistants will swap him Fine Cotton style without Dimma noticing. ;D

He'll need to have a "Bold Personality" to get a away with that ;D

E

easy_tiger

tigerdave said:
Funny kicking style but KE very good.Very good one on one defender!

yeah, he looks like he kicks like a gaelic player.

but doesnt miss a target on his reel.

finds front position and nearly pulls stomach muscles marking the ball high every single time.

he loses a 1:1 once, and then goes apeshit and wins it anyway.

I reckon he could be a 192 who can play in front of 200's.

I like the G-man at the price.

BiddiscombeSkills

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 2, 2005
Apparently has played a lot forward before being shifted to defence. Many, many goals at a ridiculously high conversion rate.

Might be lining up at the business end of the park ;)

wammo

We're from Tigerland
May 16, 2007
Looks Like he learnt to kick playing in Norway, but he does hit his targets, if you can believe a highlight real. Probably going to have to improve his kicking style if he is to make it. You just have to hope for the best with picks this late.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
He marks it a lot, so he chooses whether to play on or not. If he goes back off the mark, he can use the time he needs to select a target, which is how he operates. He kicks to his limitations, quite effectively and accurately. May get in trouble when he has to kick under great pressure, but there is the handball option.

Give the kid a break; he's brave, takes them on, strong mark, backs himself and attacks. A lot to like.

Buckley was a beautiful kick; but turned it into a ballet-dancing pose. Often missed targets too when I saw him, despite all the posing for the cameras.

E

easy_tiger

wammo said:
Looks Like he learnt to kick playing in Norway, but he does hit his targets,

like hes skating on thin ice? Yeah. he hits his target every time.

Growling Braithwaite.

the kid from rugby cuntry

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Kicking style is different not wrong. Watches the ball to his boot everytime. Good size, can he run elite? If so has potential.

BiddiscombeSkills

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 2, 2005
There was a comment on an article on AFL draft central, from a dude who reckoned he's watched Ryan develop over the last 5 years.

Apparently kicked 64.10 in 2013, and 85.14 in 2014. From CHF.

No idea whether this is actually true, but wow, who cares what your action looks like if you're slotting long range goals at 85% accuracy?!

Winning 1 on 1 contests is pretty important up forward too, right?

Fingers crossed for the kid - hope he makes it.

E

easy_tiger

BiddiscombeSkills said:
Apparently kicked 64.10 in 2013, and 85.14 in 2014. From CHF.

:eek:

maybe the bushrangers hid him in the back pocket for us?

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
easy said:

Growling Braithwaite.

the kid from rugby *smile*ry
Looks like you forgot the "o" that is required for the correct spelling of "country".

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
thejinx said:
That ball drop won't do him any favours, under pressure, in an AFL backline.

Yes that is the big concern with this kid. Under pressure at AFL level will be a big test.

But his marking and defensive attributes look very good. If he can make good decisions with the pill he might be okay.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
easy said:

Growling Braithwaite.

the kid from rugby *smile*ry

Albury rugby country?