Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Early days and he is battling away .. clearly out of his depth at the moment. My biggest concerns are his limitations - too short for a KPP, too slow and is an ordinary kick. None of which I’m convinced can be improved enough to ever be a quality player.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
tha8ball said:
Early days and he is battling away .. clearly out of his depth at the moment. My biggest concerns are his limitations - too short for a KPP, too slow and is an ordinary kick. None of which I’m convinced can be improved enough to ever be a quality player.

Other than that....

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
zippadeee said:
he is a clone of johnny Manton.
no chance will he be any good. have a look at the way he disposes the ball. did recruit him from Cork?

It is one of the uglier kicking actions isn't it.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
cant blame him, what the fukk were they thinking going into this year? Didn't hardwick and co not witness every tall marking forward slap us silly in the previous 2 years.
we desperately needed a tall defender so they went out recruited another smallish forward.
poor list management.

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
His disposal is a liability.
Is a good 4 steps behind his opponent.
Hope Im wrong but we should look at grooming another kpd.

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
He's a kid still transitioning to playing against men not boys. Normally, that would be happening in the VFL but due to circumstances beyond everyone's control, he's having to do it in the AFL against big bodied men who have been at it for a long time. His positioning, compared to say Josh Jenkins, was off but I'll bet if Jenkins was in his first handful of games against an experienced backman, his positioning would have inferior too. Let's cut the kid some slack. He looked mentally tortured by the end of the game last night. Let's not have the masses pile on to him as well.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Not sure how many goals the crows kicked but he was nearly in every highlight.
The kick on full...goal
Jenkins running back...goal
Walker on the lead twice..goals

If he hangs around in the seniors, just keep on putting $$$ on the forward. Easy money

***gamble responsibly

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Don't believe he has the talent or ability to make the grade.
Is earnest in his endeavours but just doesn't have sufficient class or skill to be a key position backman.
Doesn't seem like footy comes naturally to him.
RFC need to upgrade on Garthwaite.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Listen to all of you misery guts folk.
He kicks one out of the ground on the full so it must be true, he cant kick!
He gets beaten by a combination of the games better forwards in a forward line bursting with talent, with no support from his own teams best defenders, he cant defend!
The team was smashed in CP mainly from the middle and then stoppages, massive inside defensive 50 numbers, now the kid is a clueless footballer who cannot position himself!
The young fella has talent and for the most part holds his own, will get bigger, stronger and quicker. Might not become the best ever backman we have ever seen but he goes alright.
Stick with him I say and appreciate his endevours.

Jetboy

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2010
Melbourne.....sometimes Broome
Agree with many points on this thread so far.....
Garth was at the wrong end of the stick last night...maybe if we were cleaner in the midfield, the ball wouldn’t have gone down back as quickly , or as easy, hence giving a very inexperienced backman more of a chance against big bodied, experienced opposition.
Yes, he certainly has areas to clean up and improve on, but I remember a young backman that came into the side a number of years ago who was always behind, couldn’t kick, was late to the contest, and was always falling over....his name is Alex Rance.

Give the guy a bit more slack

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
bloody hell
you guys are tough in here

he is a 19 year old kid playing on seasoned afl monsters ........with no to little support around him.
and with our midfield letting the ball rebound back into our defensive line so quickly not even rance ( with all the support around) would have done much better

time -- give him time

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
He is a pure victim of our structure loss of the 3rd man up ball killer. He looks clearly uncomfortable one out...admittedly on the " big boys"... the unsettled back 6 is showing. No one it's confidently rolling off to effect the spoil. You know you are in for a mare when you shin an oob... you have those games

TigerTribe5

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 14, 2010
I think Garth is tracking ok after an interrupted preseason.

Unusual player but have hope that he’ll be ok.