Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I’ve got a couple of queries I didn’t have , however ffs the kid didn’t have pre season at all and hasno key position assistances down back

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
thrown in the deep end ... can't knock him, he's up against very big dudes ..

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Mr Brightside said:
I’ve got a couple of queries I didn’t have , however ffs the kid didn’t have pre season at all and hasno key position assistances down back

Unfortunately he is not a key position player himself at 192 and no speed.

Is a 3rd tall defender at best, yet with little potential offensive game - is slow and his kicking is ungainly. Not sure where he fits in other than as a backup.

Looking at the setups last night Adelaide had Talia/Keith/Hartigan as the 3 tall backs. That was too top heavy IMO and they were fortunate to lose Talia as we opened them up with our speed/agility. Would we play Rance/Astbury/Garth in the same side? No chance I think, not with Grimes/Vlastuin/Broad as better 3rd defender options.

Could he step up and replace Astbury? Not really, we do not usually play Rance on the tallest forward, Astbury usually gets that role and at his height we are not gonna play Garth on the tallest opp forward. So he really has no place at full strength.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I rather delist him and bring back johnny Howat.
Toooo slow. Beaten on the lead and then gets beaten running back towards goal.
His performance and the comments about bis game last night remind me of the late 80's when we would pin our hopes on anyone who wore our jumper.
Delist as many as possible and bring in talls defenders and another ruckman.

nafe brown

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 22, 2014
HR said:
Listen to all of you misery guts folk.
He kicks one out of the ground on the full so it must be true, he cant kick!
He gets beaten by a combination of the games better forwards in a forward line bursting with talent, with no support from his own teams best defenders, he cant defend!
The team was smashed in CP mainly from the middle and then stoppages, massive inside defensive 50 numbers, now the kid is a clueless footballer who cannot position himself!
The young fella has talent and for the most part holds his own, will get bigger, stronger and quicker. Might not become the best ever backman we have ever seen but he goes alright.
Stick with him I say and appreciate his endevours.

x 2 Couldn’t agree more HR

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
HR said:
Listen to all of you misery guts folk.
He kicks one out of the ground on the full so it must be true, he cant kick!
He gets beaten by a combination of the games better forwards in a forward line bursting with talent, with no support from his own teams best defenders, he cant defend!
The team was smashed in CP mainly from the middle and then stoppages, massive inside defensive 50 numbers, now the kid is a clueless footballer who cannot position himself!
The young fella has talent and for the most part holds his own, will get bigger, stronger and quicker. Might not become the best ever backman we have ever seen but he goes alright.
Stick with him I say and appreciate his endevours.

and also the turnovers last night.
A number of times the smalls fumbled and turned over the ball when we had the run on and suddenly our backs were out of position.
Happened multiple times with Higgins, Butler, Castagna, Baker and Ellis

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Interesting seeing all the comments about him being slow. Recorded a max speed of 31.7km/h last night which put him equal second across both teams.

For a 5th round selection (pick 72 overall) I think he’s doing okay under difficult circumstances.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
TigerFurious said:
Interesting seeing all the comments about him being slow. Recorded a max speed of 31.7km/h last night which put him equal second across both teams.

For a 5th round selection (pick 72 overall) I think he’s doing okay under difficult circumstances.

Keep saying he's not slow. He's being asked to play as primary key defender, A lot to ask at this stage of his career.

tigeronaharley

Tiger Superstar
Jan 29, 2005
LAIDLEY HEIGHTS.QLD
Yes it's easy to be an arm chair critic..but really if you can't see his faults then your not looking close enough, I'd love the kid to succeed however there needs to be a lot of improvement, Garth doesn't read the ball well, is always stumbling & looks awkward. Rance had his early career hicups but you could see he had it .!
IMHO he is far from what is required at the top level.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
TigerFurious said:

Just a point on that TF. That top speed may have been when he was slow off the mark to man up his opponent. There's fast twitch to respond quickly or you let your opponent get away and have to close the distance. Alas for Garth it's usually too late.
He's often found out of position. It seems he doesn't read the flight of the ball or misses it. He ball watches and his opponent skips away. Or he watches his opponent and doesn't know where the ball is. In 2 minds what to do.
A slight bump and he's out of the contest too easily.
He's young, inexperienced,undersized and underweighted for the role he's asked to play. No slight on him, he's all we've got.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
By all accounts Garthwaite is in great form. He was a standout in the intraclub & that form looks to have transcended to the scratch games.
If Astbury is out they may well go with Balta but for mine Garthwaite would seem the better replacement.
He has an excellent set of mits. Our defenders have been battling to take the intercept marks but Ryan reads it in the air as well as anyone.
Worth another senior shot IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
By all accounts Garthwaite is in great form. He was a standout in the intraclub & that form looks to have trascended to the intraclub games.
If Astbury is out they may well go with Balta but for mine Garthwaite would seem the better replacement.
He has an excellent set of mits. Our defenders have been battling to take the intercept marks but Ryan reads it in the air as well as anyone.
Worth another senior shot IMO.

Agree, time for the kid to show us he really is the new Dustin Fletcher

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yeah, why not, from memory Garthwaite is a defender as opposed to Balta who we are trying to turn into a defender.

Give him a go, perfect opportunity assuming Astbury is definitely out.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

Bowerpower

God Save anything yellow and black
Jun 2, 2004
Garth too short for a key defender ,needed to be another 5 cm taller and not enough tricks.
Operation find another 2 key defenders to RFC is a must .

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
We need a tall key defender not another 192 size.

We've got Grimes and Broad for that we need a key defender a big bastard, actually we need someone near the 2 m mark as these are the Key Forwards that hurt us even if they arent that much chop, (Cox, Brown, Dixon) they all get a ton of goals from frees against our blokes who are always infringing to try and stop them because they are undersized.

I'm almost tempted to just throw Noah in now during this *smile* season and get him learning for the rest of the year he aint gonna learn much playing scratch matches, and Garth is near sitting in the departure lounge.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users