Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
He's a good honest player. I think he will do ok. The problem will be with the midfield decimated will we put any pressure at all up the ground to stop easy entries into our forward line.

I suspect a shoot out with our forward line might be the only option for a win

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Garth gets another crack..This is probably the selection that sets off alarm bells.
Will likely play back.
Really felt he was in the exit lounge so we're scraping the barrel a bit here with Miller now injured & Biggy obvs not ready yet.
The reason I'm so concerned is that in recent outings at VFL level, Garthwite has been a bit of a patch up guy.
His form looked to have dropped off particularly when playing in defence so he was being used forward as the likes of CJ & Chol earned promotion to the seniors.
He has looked far more effective up forward than in defence. His kicking for goal (whilst unorthodox) in particular is good.
Actually feel a bit for him here because he finally gets an opportunity but he's been thrown to the wolves a little given the way he's been thrown around all over the place at VFL level.
Alternatively that may stand him in good stead as a swingman.
Regardless best of luck to Grathy. Hope he kills it.

Yep, he copped a bit of stick from the PRE faithful for some of his previous AFL level games. Hoping he can go out and perform well in what will be tough conditions for a tall.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Could well be his last chance, surely he knows it. Go well Garth, there's a spot for you if you're up to it

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
He has filled a spot in previous years and has done okay. I think he will be a good support for DTLD and Grimes. Still worried about our height down back. And I hope Elliot, Pendles and Sidebum don’t get off the leash. We have made them look like super stars. I think with 9-10 of our regulars out, we will struggle and as for team cohesion, that is something that has been missing all year.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Yep, he copped a bit of stick from the PRE faithful for some of his previous AFL level games. Hoping he can go out and perform well in what will be tough conditions for a tall.
It was really nice of us to put a rookie on Tom Hawkins in his prime. Always sets a kid up for a marvelous career!

I feel for him. Hope he kills it tomorrow.

Reactions: 3 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
He won’t die wondering the kid , hope he goes well .

Be interesting to see how many games his missed in his time at Punt rd

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
He's a good honest player. I think he will do ok. The problem will be with the midfield decimated will we put any pressure at all up the ground to stop easy entries into our forward line.
He is that but has never been able to back any early promise. At least we know he will give it a go and that is all we can ask. However for me I would have preferred to give Miller his debut but the bloke gets injured so that is just a moot point

Reactions: 1 user

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Average ordinary player that rightfully hasn’t been played. Only getting a game because of injuries - no one left.

Tries hard but no good - that’s what you’ll see tomorrow.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Average ordinary player that rightfully hasn’t been played. Only getting a game because of injuries - no one left.

Tries hard but no good - that’s what you’ll see tomorrow.
Yep. He has earned his spot.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I think with 9-10 of our regulars out, we will struggle and as for team cohesion, that is something that has been missing all year.
Been nothing but a rolling maul of injuries all year long. Unfortunately instead of improving during the second half of the year, it's been getting worse and it's virtually crippled our system based game.
Not expecting much in the way of game day performances for the rest of the year. Would love for the big miracle turnaround and rampage to another flag. But the cynical old bastard in me is simply hoping the youngsters keep getting plenty of senior footy under the belt n it's all quality experience for a big reset next year and that the early picks we get at seasons end help soothe the wounded pride.

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Good honest trier who did well after being out for so long. Give me Garth over Chol any day

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Admire his effort. Tried hard and did ok. Not sure he is a future best 22.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
He did ok. Wasn’t his fault the entire midfield and forward line went to complete *smile* in the second half.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Hopless.
Caught out of position more then it showed on TV.
The lack of skill by Collingwood helped him, but as soon as they started to hit target's they use him and Astbury as their avenue to goal.
Whats with his kicking??Delist

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
No where near it, gets lost in the ground, out bodied, indecisive... just below AFL level.... permanent marker line through that man’s magnet

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Rugged. That's unusual these days. Let's move onto fearless.

Can read it. Slow. Short. Can't jump. Can read it and fearless. See the counterbalance?

Will not be beaten. Will not accept this. Think Duncan not Andrew.

Awkward kicking style? Who cares? Hits targets.

Brilliant hands. (You'll see.) Smarts. Senior player IMO.

Macho. Will own the space adjacent to Manfull.

Fear the Richmond backs.

Reactions: 4 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
If we bag Chol efforts, Cathwaite's efforts in the last qtr were deplorable.
He allowed Cameron waltz in and take a mark and he couldn't put in the hard yards to complete when Grundy took the mark in the goal square.
Not sure and can't understand how he has survived so long.
What's with that kicking action??