Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Garth played well, a few dodgy handballs, he ran over 15k's
Considering how much football he has played in the last 2 years and playing as a forward in the VFL he has done very well.

Those handballs were were terrible, and I hope they were abbreviations rather than the normal. Otherwise they will be terminal.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
McStay had the fewest touches on the ground.
I was just going to post that. Aside from two cheapies McStay was a non event. Garth stuck to his job well. Unfashionable and a “not quite” player but reliable.

Reactions: 1 user

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
My wife asked me last night whether he’s picked up some pace.
I said no, everyone else has slowed down for him.
Unfashionable.
Competes very hard.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I was ready to Cappuano him at half time. But his second half was good.
He has a serious tank on him. Ran 15kms.

Reactions: 1 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
He may well play through to the end of the season. We’ll fully know by then if he’s a legitimate depth player - will never be best 22. Awful mistakes in the first half but competed hard in the second half. Thought he was ok against Collingwood last week.

While his kicking style is awkward, it’s ok from a result perspective. Terrible by hand & hence I’d prefer to see him kick it.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Lumbering, ugly, dour, no frills defender. Reasonably competent when he gets to play to his limitations n I just loved the way he smashed incoming air ball over the boundary time n time again. Not sure he's quite got what's needed to become a regular senior player rather than a competent fringie, but he'll never stop short of giving everything he can.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If he's got the skills upfront as well then he can develop into a handy swingman. Has he rucked in the VFL ?

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Lumbering, ugly, dour, no frills defender. Reasonably competent when he gets to play to his limitations n I just loved the way he smashed incoming air ball over the boundary time n time again. Not sure he's quite got what's needed to become a regular senior player rather than a competent fringie, but he'll never stop short of giving everything he can.
I can still remember an early Grimes spoiling every aerial contest and looking gangly and uncomfortable. Supporters wondering whether he could actually take an overhead mark.
Look how that turned out!!

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Shame he is not a few more cm's as he would be a solid dour fullback. As he is he doesn't have the skills or pace to play support roles.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I can still remember an early Grimes spoiling every aerial contest and looking gangly and uncomfortable. Supporters wondering whether he could actually take an overhead mark.
Look how that turned out!!
Apart from his dodgy hammie issues early on. Grub always had a shitload of pace n some psychopathic physical tendencies to go with his elite negative defensive capacity. It was only after the Trossman went down that the Grub opened up n allowed his attacking n creative flair to be put on full display.
Garp doesn't have the pace, mobility, kamikaze attack on the contest / opponent that Grub has. Reckon if Garp's going to make it, it'll have to be more along the lines of down the line Dave, solid, disciplined, no fuss, no frills defender holding down the anchor line.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
He’s a trier but a very limited player. Break glass in case of emergency.

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
It must be incredibly difficult to come into a backline where 2/3 of it hasn't played any football together. Add that to the fact that he hasn't even played most of this year in the backline.

He is no star but I think we are underestimating the level that he is performing at.

One thing you can not question is his competitive level. He always gives it all on the field.

He is doing everything that's been asked of him.

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
He sticks to his job and understands his limitations.

im glad he was on our list last night

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
*smile* he is slow.
Has anyone got footage of him ever jumping for the ball.
His feet are always cemented to the ground.
Astbury Grimes stack and Rioli save him last night