Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Garth has his limitations, but he is an adequate replacement for Broady and Balta, and Astbury too if doesn't come up.

Reactions: 2 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Not convinced but did his job - we needed him last night and I thought serviceable is how I described him.

At least he wasn’t towelled up which is what I was worried about.

Reactions: 2 users

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Every club needs these type of fringe players for emergencies whether we like it or not, otherwise the salary cap gets blown up.

All clubs have them...for what its worth he did a few good things in the second half that kept us in the lead, after a *smile* first half.

Reactions: 6 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Garth has his limitations, but he is an adequate replacement for Broady and Balta, and Astbury too if doesn't come up.
I would have said an "Inadequate" replacement for either Broad or Balta or Astbury but he is all we have uninjured so we have no choice. He tries hard enough and serviceable as an emergency and that is all

Reactions: 1 user

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
I was under the impression he was voluntarily out the door at the end of the year, and hence "helping out" the VFL team by playing forward so that Biggie and Miller can develop as backs. He's now stepped up well beyond what was everyone's expectations out of necessity due to all the injuries. So, he's giving it his all with no expectations for 2022, as I understood it, and we should be grateful if he can hold down his spot with no frills until the troops return from injury.

Reactions: 13 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
*smile* he is slow.
Has anyone got footage of him ever jumping for the ball.
His feet are always cemented to the ground.
Astbury Grimes stack and Rioli save him last night
He came off his man in the last and spoiled a certain mark on the wing. I'm certain he left the ground but will check the tape to be sure. They were out if he got it wrong. Great piece of play regardless. I think he got better as the game went on like most of our younguns.

Reactions: 5 users

Stewlander

Tiger Cub
Jan 20, 2016
He came off his man in the last and spoiled a certain mark on the wing. I'm certain he left the ground but will check the tape to be sure. They were out if he got it wrong. Great piece of play regardless. I think he got better as the game went on like most of our younguns.
*smile* he is slow.
Has anyone got footage of him ever jumping for the ball.
His feet are always cemented to the ground.
Astbury Grimes stack and Rioli save him last night
He 100% got off the ground several times to spoil. Don’t buy into some of these posters who prefer to see the negative side all the time. Whilst not overly gifted and looked shaky early, Garth played a very serviceable game, and is quite important to our structure with the amount of injuries we have. I’m wrapped for him!

Reactions: 11 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Played his role and more than broke even with his opponent. Well done!
Give me a break playing Cathwaite is like using a band aid for a shark bite.
Watch the last 15 minutes of the Collingwood game ive seen pensioners move quicker.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Some on here are harsh. Garth is undersized but gives his all. He did a very good job on McStay who had the role of second key forward. Kept him to just two goals whilst halving or winning many contests. 11 games versus 133.

Reactions: 8 users

Stewlander

Tiger Cub
Jan 20, 2016
Give me a break playing Cathwaite is like using a band aid for a shark bite.
Watch the last 15 minutes of the Collingwood game ive seen pensioners move quicker.
I’ll watch the full game to judge someone’s game thank you. Not the 15mins where the Pies mids were able to do what they liked. Alex Rance in his prime wouldn’t have stood a chance. Prior to that Garth did a very reasonable job on Mihocek.

Reactions: 4 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Honest battler. Did some good, some poor.
But it’s only because of the injury list that he’s getting games. At least he doesn’t give up. He might make a blue but resets himself for the next contest. That’s all you can ask of him.

Reactions: 5 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Got an IQ. And fearless. That's how a slow midget gets a game.

I was very surprised to see the handball errors. Nerves. All nerves and inexperience. Smart by hand. Accurate by foot.

I've always liked him but still has to flum a gig to get experience. And defensive #3 backs who can't jump are only viable as zoning types. HIs body use is good. I can't help but like this bloke. But he's always up against it.

He should get an AFL gig somewhere. Hopefully he gets another chance and levels up.

Reactions: 1 users