Plan for Punt Rd the 'centrepiece' | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Plan for Punt Rd the 'centrepiece'

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Plan for Punt Rd the 'centrepiece'
Paul Gough
afl.com.au
10:00:42 PM Tue 20 May, 2003

New Richmond chief executive Ian Campbell is working on a plan to make the Tigers’ traditional base Punt Road the centre of all football activity in Melbourne – even during the off-season.

Campbell, speaking exclusively to richmondfc.com.au also sees the recently-refurbished Punt Road as the centrepiece of his plan to make the Tigers the ultimate community club within a national competition.

The former head of Nike in Europe and of the National Basketball Association in Australia says one of the main reasons he was lured back from the United States to accept the job as CEO of the Tigers was he realised the enormous opportunity to grow what is already considered one of the AFL’s biggest and most passionately supported clubs.

But what impressed him most about the Tigers was the location of the club’s training and administration base in relation to its home playing venue and the suburb the club represents.

“The opportunity here is quite honestly bigger than people realise in terms of the whole of Richmond – the club itself and what the clubs stands for.

“Every day I look out from my office and I see (the suburb of) Richmond – you’ve got Punt Road Oval, Swan Street, Bridge Road and the MCG and you say this is a piece of history.

“We are right next to the G – on the edge of the CBD and Richmond - it’s a unique blend of opportunity and tradition.

“Our home base is pulling more than two million eyeballs a week (from the non-stop traffic on Punt Road) as an icon sitting here as part of Melbourne so you don’t need to be a brain surgeon to figure out there could be something special here.”

Under the Campbell plan, all AFL clubs will be encouraged to use the ground for pre and post-game activities when playing their matches at the nearby MCG while he would even like the ground to play a role in the staging of the 2006 Commonwealth Games.

“This year when we played Essendon we had a wonderful post-game get together between the two teams down in our gym,” he said.

“We have to work with the other clubs to help educate them that you can utilise the Punt Road facilities – when we are not playing - to help promote the game.

“Where else can you go with the family and have a sausage sizzle and a kick on the ground before the game and two minutes later be looking for your seat at the MCG – this is the only place.

“The Punt Road precinct is what we are calling it and we are thinking about what kind of events we can put on here even in the off-season so our members and all Melburnians can participate in what Punt Road can be because we have found anecdotally that even a lot of non-Richmond people have a soft spot for Punt Road.”

Campbell is also working on ways to make a Richmond membership more valuable by tying it in with access to the many restaurants, cafes and pubs that surround the Punt Road Oval and the MCG and at the same time ensure the Tigers continue to represent the suburb which the club is named after.

“I saw it last Saturday night after the Melbourne game and the cafes and pubs were full of people with the yellow and black on after the game,” he said.

“We need to recognize that and that somehow we can provide value to the businesses in the area.”

Campbell said he plans to meet as many Richmond traders as possible in coming months - ahead of preparing the membership packages for 2004 – which could result in Tiger members getting discounts at some of the local cafes and restaurants.

“This (Richmond) is one of the best suburbs in not only Melbourne but all of Australia,” he said.

“We are about the only club that has an opportunity to do something like this (due to closeness of Richmond attractions to Punt Road Oval and the MCG).”

“The Richmond Football Club is already contributing to all these things but the question is how do we (the club) make it better for all our friends and supporters.”

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
I like the way this bloke is talking. If we could get a run of seasons going in which we consistently make the finals, we could be in a fantastically strong position five years from now. It's early days, but I haven't felt this optimistic about the office staff for a long, long time.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
I too have been impressed with what Ian Campbell has said since his arrival. I have said a few times on different threads that I honestly believe the CLub is heading in the right direction. They have a clear plan as to where they want to go and they are woking extremely hard in trying to get there.

The more I see and hear the more this belief is reinforced.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
At long last, someone who can see the potential of this Club and has an eye for the future. I might be biased, but I've always thought that Richmond has so much going for it, but we just never seemed to take real advantage of any of it and that frustrated me no end.

We've maintained our Club through some less than successful times, so we can only imagine what a successful Richmond will be like. I know that's something I'll look forward to seeing and I'm a lot more confident now that I will get to see it in the not too distant future, than I have been at any time in the past.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
One gets the impression that we are really getting our act together on and off the field. Long may it continue.

What Ian Campbell says here makes sense, but I hope also that his focus, for members, is on more than just Punt Rd and the immediate vicinity. I doubt that many families pack into cafes and pubs in Richmond after games — we go home to bed! With so much of the Tiger supporter base being recruited during the late 60s and early 70s, these people have got young families now: some of the club's marketing must be directed at them too.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
The important thing is for people to give the Club feedback and let them know what they want. How else will the people there know what people expect or want if no one tells them?

The difference now to the past is that they seem prepared to listen to what supporters are saying, as they realise the important role they have played in the Club's past and realise how vital supporters are for the Club's long-term future.

People shouldn't say they don't feel part of the Club if they aren't prepared to contribute in any way and just leave it to others to do the talking for them. As long as people are constructive and genuine in what they have to say, they will be listened to. And the least you can expect is to be acknowledged for your time and efforts.

Never mind your experiences in the past. Judge the Club on its efforts from hereon in.

Ruthless_Richmond

hunger to win
Feb 28, 2003
The Gong
HALLALEUJAH!!!

This is the most exciting thing I've heard from the club since the days of Graeme Richmond. With this attitude we will become a power club again - it's not a matter of if, just when.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
He is starting to think outside the box and that is refreshing. Terry WALLACE made the comment a few weeks ago in the age that memberships could be increased by thinking outside the box (he was talking about the dogs) but it applies to us as well. We have a huge supporter base yet a poor membership and it is going to take someone like CAMPBELL to rejuvenate the passion of the members to get onboard.

So far he is heading in the right direction by the sound of it.

I believe that our onfield success so far this season is partly due to our off field successes over the summer. Hopefully this will flow on to some more on field successes in the off season recruiting.

If this occurs it will have far reaching consequences for the RFC and will go along way to reinstating us as a genuine Victorian Powerhouse.

Wouldn't we all love to see Ian CAMPBELL knock Eddie of his high horse.