Play our Game | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Play our Game

T

tiga chikk

On Saturday night we've got to play our own game not let the demons lead us astray.

THey've got quite a bit of pace and its not that we're slow we're just not quite as quick.

So if we want to win we've gotta be the ones making the first moves, the first ones to the ball and the first ones on the score board. make them follow us make them make the mistakes and we'll pick up the points

What does everyone else think? :)

I agree also but I think they are a team that is quick when they are allowed space to work in and on the rebound etc. What they are less effective at is getting in and getting the hard ball to get out to their quick outside runners... we don't have a problem in this area at the moment. So if we can continue in the same manner as previous weeks and not get lazy or complacent then IMHO we will effectively negate their outside runners.

Spot On TC

The key to beating Melbourne is to put pressure on them, they hate the physical stuff. We must do all the hard stuff, tackles, bumps and the like.

They are basically a team of receivers, so if we can gain the upper hand in the middle, it should give us a real advantage.

Yze has been down on form, but is due for a big one, i'd go with Newman for this job.

With Krak in good form, hopefully they will be forced to play Whelan in the backline on him. Whelan is very underrated and the key to their clearances, so we should try to take him to the backline at every oppurtunity.

Personally I think Danny, Wayne and the boys have come upwith a pretty good (if not overly attractive) game plan. It appears to be:

1. commit everything to the contest to win the hard ball. (hence our clearance and hard ball gets have skyrocketted)

2. keep players back (usually Chaffey) in case it goes pear shaped and we lose the contest. (hence we get accused of flooding)

3. Run forward like bastards when we get the ball to create scoring options (why A Kellaway has shots at goal).

This is a flexible game plan that can work as long as:

a. your good at stoppages/contests (we seem to be now)

b. your disciplined in defence.

c. your troops are able to run all day and prepared to run into the ground, and

d. you can make the most of your opportunities when they come (cos you might not get many).

In short I reakon its a plan that could blow the Demons apart because we could simply not let them get the ball, and tivo and bowden can move it really fast to swamp a pretty dodgy Demon defence however, being a tigers fan too long, I'll still have all my fingers and toes crossed.

We need to generate more "THUMPINGS" like the one against the Bummers. We scared them with hard bodies at the ball, they were Flustered ,Fumbling, Blithering players without any real purpose.

We must Create a sense of Fear and intimidation, our guys should stand Tall for now We have the "ENFORCER" in Stafford, and a couple of other notables, Fleming & Zantuck.

Play our game HARD and we should scare the pants off those demons.

This "INTIMIDATION" factor Will keep us in good stead Phsycologically for Future Games.