Player of the Year voting system | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Player of the Year voting system

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
There have been concerns raised in the Player of the Year voting thread that our 3-2-1 system of awarding votes is flawed.  I've started a new thread and copied the posts here so it's easier to find for future reference.  Will update the results at the end of each season.

Harry said:
I think there's a flaw in the way we assign players votes.  When we win more posters would be inclined to vote thus a player like a Brown who was best on ground might get say 180 votes.  Whereas when we lose and get thumped people would be less inclined to log onto PRE let alone vote, and a player like a Cogs who busted his backside and was clearly our best player might struggle to get 100 votes.

I think a better way would be to give points to say the top 8 vote getters each round - ie the first place getter with the most votes gets 10 points, 2nd gets 8, 3rd 6, 4th 5, 5th 4, 6th 3, 7th 2 and 8th 1.  This would balance the votes when we win and lose.

Otis said:
I also saw the major flaw and figured somebody would bring it up. I'll tally up the votes in a 10-8-6 method if you'd like... but would you like them to be revealed at the end of the year or progressively round-by-round?

I looked up past records and flawed or not I think we've been remarkably similar to the official votes the past 2 seasons.

My personal opinion is that if it's not broke it doesn't need fixing and I'd prefer to stick with the same method of awarding votes each season. It would be more accurate when we compare results from different years that way.

2003 PRE RESULTS     2003 CLUB RESULTS

1-Coughlan                                1-Coughlan
2- Johnson                                 2-Johnson
3- Tivendale                               3-Tivendale
4- Richardson                             4-Chaffey
5- Chaffey                                  5-Kellaway
6- Stafford                                  6-Richardson
10-Kellaway

2004 PRE RESULTS       2004 CLUB RESULTS
1-Bowden                                   1-Bowden
2- Brown                                     2-Johnson
3- Richardson                              3-Brown
4- Johnson                                  4-Richardson
5- Krakouer                                 5-Hyde
6-Hartigan                                   6-Krakouer
7- Hyde             

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
The thing that makes the voting system on here good is that more people vote when we win. I don't see this as a flaw at all. Best player in a winning team should get more votes than best in a losing one- which is why you invariably get the best player on the losing team getting 1 vote in a 3-2-1 system regardless of how they played.
Last year it didn't matter- Brown probably got top votes in 2 wins, Richo the other two, while Bowden was best afield in most of the 14 losses.

cassady

You took my dreams from me when i first found you
Nov 22, 2004
Floating
its ok man

rosy and i have clashed many times but she really is sweet and her heart is in the right place.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
cassady said:
its ok man

rosy and i have clashed many times but she really is sweet and her heart is in the right place.

What do I have to do with this? Harry and Otis are well within their rights to try and find a better voting system and anyone else is welcome to post their opinions too.

They are even welcome not to post them if they don't think there's any point. ;D

cassady

You took my dreams from me when i first found you
Nov 22, 2004
Floating
Hey rosy

i read WOR as meaning wrath of rosy.

does it have another meaning?

Sorry if i woke u up

Cass

Curtiger

Tiger Champion
Oct 26, 2004
Moreland, Melbourne
I like the method you mentioned, Harry. A good argument.

If you or Otis went about your method throughout the year (if you're serious about this) you could post the results of them at the end. Then we could have a poll asking which method had a better representation of people's opinion on who was the best through the season to determine the votin system for next season...

But then, that's probably not fair either. People would think more of who did well in the back half of the season. I'll dwell on some ideas for a while...

Curtis :blah

fromtheouter

Tiger Cub
Feb 27, 2005
rosy23 said:
2003 PRE RESULTS     2003 CLUB RESULTS

1-Coughlan                                1-Coughlan
2- Johnson                                 2-Johnson
3- Tivendale                               3-Tivendale
4- Richardson                             4-Chaffey
5- Chaffey                                  5-Kellaway
6- Stafford                                  6-Richardson
10-Kellaway

2004 PRE RESULTS       2004 CLUB RESULTS
1-Bowden                                   1-Bowden
2- Brown                                     2-Johnson
3- Richardson                              3-Brown
4- Johnson                                  4-Richardson
5- Krakouer                                 5-Hyde
6-Hartigan                                   6-Krakouer
7- Hyde             

Couldn't get much closer. Why change a winning system?

Otis

Voodoo Child
Dec 24, 2004
Melbourne
Curtis E Bear said:
I like the method you mentioned, Harry. A good argument.

If you or Otis went about your method throughout the year (if you're serious about this) you could post the results of them at the end. Then we could have a poll asking which method had a better representation of people's opinion on who was the best through the season to determine the votin system for next season...

But then, that's probably not fair either. People would think more of who did well in the back half of the season. I'll dwell on some ideas for a while...

Curtis :blah

Yeah but most people seem to like the current system.. if we have another 15 game losing streak I'd imagine (although i wasn't here last season to know from experience) that people would lose interest and would be voting a lot less than they were in the early stages of the losing streak. Either way, it's no real big deal. The B&F is what really counts 8)