Player reviews #1 Rory Hilton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Player reviews #1 Rory Hilton

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
One of the guys who is in a Tigers e-mail loop with me at work is putting together a one-a-day player critique starting at #1 and working through the player list. It's a pretty good read so I thought I would share it with you.

Position: Midfielder/Utility
Age: 23 at the start of the season but turns 24 before round 4.
Height: 189cm
Weight: 86kg
Career Games: 58 (49 at Richmond)
Career Goals: 41 (38 at Richmond)
Draft History:
Select No 3 in 1996 National Draft. Traded to Richmond at 98 National draft as part of a complicated deal involving Richmond, Geelong, Brisbane, Sydney & Port. We got Hilton lost picks 8 & 24 and picked up Biddescome on the side.

2002 Averages from 3 Games: 6 Kicks, 2 Marks, 1 Handball, 0.33 goals, 0.33 Behinds, 0.67 Tackles, 0.33 Rebounds, 2 Inside 50's, 0.33 Clearances, 1 Clanger.

2002 Summary: Played 15 minutes of great footy in Round 3 which he did more in that time than he did in 2 poor full games which saw him dropped only to be recalled due to injury. Then got clobbered by David Neitz, stuffed his shoulder and didn't play again in 2002. A little bit reflective of his career. Hit by injuries just as he shows a glimpse of his talent.

Previous Years: 2001 averaged 15 disposals per game, kicking 24 goals from 22 matches. Did struggle after getting injured midseason when he was averaging nearly 18 possessions per game & 5 marks with 14 goals from 11 games. That dropped to 13, 2 & 10 in the 11 games after he was injured. Finished 12th in B&F. In 2000 averaged over 18 disposals and nearly 5 marks per game despite another injury hit season. That year he missed the first two games then started round 3 with 30 possession, 9 marks and a goal dominating against the reigning premiers. 1999 First year at Richmond, failed to make an impact in 8 games spending a fair bit of time in the reserves. 1998 was at the Lions in debut year, 9 games.

Ability: 6.5 - Above average talent and on talent could potentially be an elite player, but yet to show that he is truly capable of that.
Offence: 6 Tends to run ahead of the footy often and can make time and space up forward. Can mark well up forward and is reasonable on the lead. Can waste opportunities he should kick.
Defence: 4 Will push back into defence and plays the role of loose man across half back pretty well, but struggles to be directly accountable to an opponent.
Hardness: 6.5. Above average - Is fairly hard at the contest and will take a tackle or a bump and dish off creating room for his team-mate. Does need to redirect his aggression to the ball.
Speed: 5. May be a bit unfair to only rate him as average here, but couldn't really remember him being that quick. Can appear to be quick, as he's very good at creating space. I think he has capacity to be above average.
Stamina: 4.5 Slightly below average. Again maybe a bit unfair, but he struggled to run all day earlier in his career and just when he was improving he would get injured again. Again probably has the capacity to be above average here.
Delivery: 5 Wastes a few and can be a bit cute with his disposals, but hardly our worst.
Air: 6 Above average mark, in the top 30% for midfielders I would have thought.
Ground: 6. Above average on the ground, has pretty good hands, and maybe I underrated him here.
Injury: 3.5 Really copped it early before he was even drafted and every time he's started to establish himself, has been injured.
Ruck 1. Never even really show an inclination to jump over the top and steal a tap.
Temperament. 3.5 I was pretty harsh here - I thought earlier he could sook a bit, and really had got better. Let's see how he goes over time.
Ball: 6. Is a good ball winner - at his best averaged over 18 touches a game which puts him right up there. Not in the very good category yet though.

Strengths. Reasonably hard at the ball, will run forward and create and is a good ball winner. Prepared to take a bump and dish the footy out to runners outside. Good overhead for a running player. Is versatile can play midfield, back & forward and whilst not a pure in and under type can play as either an "inside" or "outside" player.

Weaknesses. Can lack accountability, is too often affected by injuries and has struggled to get 100% fit. Disposal is only reasonable and can improve in decision making, will occasionally spray his kicks.

Overall: He's a bit hard to judge, with injuries we haven't seen him play consistently at his best and I found it hard to remember his gameplay that well. Immensely talented with two pretty good years behind him in 2001 & 2002 has yet to really show true potential, although it would be fair to say that in both of those years he was more than serviceable, at times brilliant and was regularly (IMHO) played out of position and away from the action. On ability I'd rank him up in the top 6 at Richmond, but not on what he's actually produced so far.

With the injury problems hasn't been consistent enough or maintained a high enough fitness level to really excel. One major criticism I have is apart from a few games, hasn't really done the job against the top sides yet, not that he's on his own there at Richmond.Does tend to spray his kicks a bit as well as occasional float them and needs to learn how to channel his aggression properly. I'm still a big fan and given the opportunity a midfield rotation of Coughlan, Hilton, Johnston, Campbell & Bowden with support from Chaffey, Blumfield, Tivendale gives us a good grouping there.

If Hilton could reproduce his 15 minutes against Melbourne this year for half a game each game (without falling away completely) he'd be a B&F winner. He's now reaching an age when he should be at his peak, although he's a "young 23 year old" as he did miss a lot of footy in his late teens with injury. Has had 3 "This will be the year" type of years and 2003 will be his fourth. Barring serious injury (again) 2003 should be a big year for Rory, otherwise he's going to disappoint a lot of people.

What he needs to do? I think 4 things:
1) Cross his fingers for an injury free run - particularly in the lead-up.
2) Improve his fitness and running ability, he may never be Rodan's pace, but he could gain some pace and needs to be able to run the miles in the midfield. He's had an extended pre-season courtesy of his shoulder injury and so fitness should not be an issue for him - if it is, he'll never be an elite footballer. (Note I don't expect him to be fully match-fit until at least 6-7 games into the season proper).
3) Fix the attitude. Top 5 draft pick don't make you a legend. Needs to pull the head in and go hard on a consistent basis, not just when he's in the mood.
4) Push for a spot in the midfield. Don't be content to sit on a flank.

Re: Daily Player reviews #1 Rory Hilton pt2

I concur with the overall assessment of rory's stengths and weaknesses OMH.Its difficult to say with conviction what position rory could relish in, but i'd prefer to see him further up the ground then playing in the back-half.

If he were to play in the midfield i'd like his role to be more as an in and under type after all he has a much better build than the likes of king and generally is a more reliable kick.

As i posted previously, this year must be the year that he emerges from the shadows and establishes himself or there might be question marks over his future.

Rory's contract is up for renewal at the end of this season.
If he doesn't have a good one I agree with mellow, he might be on his bike.
I don't recall seeing Rory get under the pack and get his own ball too often.
He might need to reinvent himself a bit in that way cos we seem to have an abundance of similar "flank" players not quite staking their claim in the midfield.
Rory has had a colourful career, but imo probably through no real fault of his own, we haven't seen him perform consistanly as a no 3 draft pick might be expected to.
Go Rory.

I don't recall seeing Rory get under the pack and get his own ball too often.
He might need to reinvent himself a bit cos we seem to have an abundance of similar "flank" players not quite staking their claim in the midfield.

Go Rory.

Getting down and dirty isn't an attribute you associate with rory but in attempting to think outside the square abit he would certainly have the right size and build for such a role, but whether he could meet those demands is another question.

Getting down and dirty isn't an attribute you associate with rory but in attempting to think outside the square abit he would certainly have the right size and build for such a role, but whether he could meet those demands is another question.

Agree MY. Rory does have the build to fit into that role of a ballgetting in and under type but we are never going to find out unless we at least try him in there instead of just playing him as a flanker. There'll be at least 4 pre-season games to find out if he and his body are up to it. Hope the coaching staff are thinking outside the square too.

"Maybe he could be tough in a new way by forgeting his own safety and getting in and getting the ball himself"

Isn't that the reason he was out almost the whole season last year. Throwing himself in front of a steamrolling David NEITZ.

I am a big Rory fan, as he has the ability to really hurt teams, something which he did quite a bit of in 2000 and 2001.

Some of Rory's negatives are physical attributes which he doesn't possess - like natural speed and an overly solid build. But, in 2000 and 2001 he was very fit and was able to run all day.

Rory is one of the blokes who we desperately need to perform on a regular basis, as he is very hard to match up on and can play anywhere on the ground.

As for his position, I don't mind him going back for the season, as it will allow him to get heaps of the ball and run with it. I think he is one bloke who will have the brains to exploit lazy forward flankers, run off them and start attackes from the half backline. I don't think that our small backmen did that nearly enough in 2002.

Once he gets his confidence and match fitness back, he will do what comes naturally and sneak forward to kick goals, run thru the midfield and create havoc all over the ground.

A big year for Rory - tear em apart son!!!!!

RR I agree with everything you say but 1.
I may be wrong but from memory every time Rory has been played in a defensive role he has been found wanting. In that the defensive side of his game is nowhere near as tight as it should be. Its all well and good to get plenty of run from the backline when you are playing well and you have confidence in your team mates winning the ball. But when you arent and its coming back the other way more often this is when IMO Rory gets found wanting.
Hopefully he will get used as a wingman or forward flank. And perhaps occasionally on the back flank on say a lesser known player or a youngster and see if you can develop the defensive side of his game that way.
I could be wrong about this but I am sure I had this conversation with my Dad the year before last.

Interesting to see that we took Rory and Bidders and gave up picks 8 and 24. It's possible that Hilton is worth pick 8 given that we got him very, very young, but Bidders is obviously a stuff-up for pick 24 (unless I've misunderstood something in that complex trade). I know that Jonathon Brown went at pick 30 in the 99 draft that we sacrificed those picks in. Hmmm.

If I remember rightly wasnt Brown picked up under the father son rule in that his dad played 50 odd games with fitzroy?

Also, at the time Brown was regarded as something of a smokey having been playing outside the usual under 18 comps down in Warnambul or somewhere.

Weaknesses. Can lack accountability, is too often affected by injuries and has struggled to get 100% fit. Disposal is only reasonable and can improve in decision making, will occasionally spray his kicks.

What he needs to do? I think 4 things:

3) Fix the attitude. Top 5 draft pick don't make you a legend. Needs to pull the head in and go hard on a consistent basis, not just when he's in the mood.

Generaly agree with your assessment OMH. Also, re the points above, once he "fixes" the attitude, the other areas will look after themselves.

Tigerdog, by the nature of backman who run off their opponents, they will get caught out when the ball comes back in quickly. Byron Pickett suffered badly from this in 2001. Trying to limit the damage is the key.

The best example of Rory playing some solid backline was in 2000 and some of 2001.

Re:Daily Player reviews #1 Rory Hilton pt2

Is your friend going to do this again this year OMH?