Player reviews #2 Darren Gaspar   | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Player reviews #2 Darren Gaspar  

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
Position: Tall Defender
Height: 193
Weight: 90
Career Games: 165 (144 at Richmond)
Career Goals: 15 (14 at Richmond)
Draft History: Select No 1 in 1993 national draft, played two seasons at Sydney before leaving as an uncontracted player. Put a very high price (at the time) of $275,000 for two years on his head, Fitzroy couldn't afford him, Melbourne said no (and accused Richmond of Draft tampering) and Richmond got him at pick 3 in 96 pre-season draft.

2002 Averages from 19 Games: 7.3 Kicks, 3.8 Marks, 5.4 Handballs, 0.11 goals, 0.9 Tackles, 3.3 Rebounds, 0.9 Inside 50s, 0.6 Clearances, 1.4 Clangers

Statistics of interest: Was only involved in only 16 Frees in 2002 (7 for, 9 against) - average of 0.84 per game. Previous years: 2001 49 (31,18) from 25 at 1.9, 2000 26 (17,9) from 17, 1999 42 (23,19) from 21, 1998 42 (32,10) from 22. This was the most noticeable statistical difference for Gaspar from previous good years.

Not real sure as to the why for this - but it did appear that he never made as many contests as he had in the past, and far more often was completely outpointed.

Tackles were also quite a bit down with his worst return per game ever over a season (17 from 19 games), another poor tackle year for him was 1999 (another poor year for him IMHO) although he's never been a big tackler.

Apart from that, statistically he was similar to his B&F years. In fact in most categories he was better than in either 2000 or 2001 - throws an interesting light on stats!

2002 Summary: After 2 All-Australian years - came back to earth with a thud. Only two or three games stood out as high level performances in my memory. Looked way too disinterested at times for a bloke on half a million a year and Round 22 was an embarrassment when at times in my eyes he just didn't try. Seemed far more indecisive this year and will be forever remembered on the highlights real for his middle of the M.C.G. "Pirouette". Was shown up against a number of bigger stronger forwards which showed just how big a loss Holland was. Admittedly there were a number of reasonably good stopping games which would have gone largely unnoticed.

Previously: 2001 averaged 12 possessions, 4 marks and didn't miss a game, won the B&F was All-Australian. 2000 averaged 11.3 disposals, 3.1 Marks from 17 games. 2nd in the B&F, All-Australian for the first time. Only 9.4 disposal and 2 marks a game in 1999 from 21 games in a poor season for him. 13.8 Disposals and 3.5 marks a game from 21 games in 1998 when he showed a lot of dash playing (from memory) predominately off the half back line. Similar to 97 which followed up a pretty decent first year with us in 96 while not outstanding showed as a 20yo that he could live up to the wraps (and price tag) he had on him.

Ability: 6 - Above average footballer, poor foot skills and too frequently goes to ground mark him down. Agility for his size and ability to read the play gives him the credit points.
Offence: 2.5 - Simply has no idea when put forward. Can take a grab up forward but wouldn't want him kicking for my life.
Defence: 8.5. Would be in the top 6 in the comp for man on man defensive capabilities, however increasingly being shown up against the bigger forwards. Still one of the few genuine key defensive players around.
Hardness: 4.5. Below average in my book. Can show courage which gains him a few points, but how often have you seen him lay a strong tackle - a hip and shoulder, bust open a pack. Not his traits, not everyone has these. Worrying aspect this year was three times he missed a single game through injury - seems minor niggles can put him out a bit too easy.
Speed: 4. Pretty good for a guy 193cm, but not outstanding, would like to see him vs Richo with some decent delivery to a lead.
Stamina: 3.5. Too often saw him struggling to see out games last year, bent over, hands on hips. 3.5 may be generous, but I hadn't really questioned this that much in the past.
Delivery: 3. If only he could kick! I love watching Dustin Fletcher kick a ball, I shudder watching Gas.
Air: 5.5 - Above average, not big on the contested mark and does regularly juggle his marks - not a natural one grabber but reasonably clean.
Ground: 2.5 - Poor below his knees, can look lost when the footy hits the turf and too often goes to ground when it's there.
Injury: 6 - Seems to miss regularly with minor niggles lately. 2001 only year he got through a full season, but there's been no real "big ones"
Ruck: 1 - Maybe I'm a bit cruel on this one, as he has won his share of contests in the past, but got memories of some awful attempts against genuine ruckmen at time. Really probably should be a 2 or maybe 3.
Temperament: 5. Average I suppose, nothing from memory to suggest anything too bad, but seeing him drop the head a bit too much.
Ball: 5.5. Slightly above average, can win a reasonable amount of footy, particularly given the position he plays. Actually plays his best footy when he tries to attack the footy and win possession more often (IMHO).

Strengths:  Extremely agile for his size, and good evasive skills in traffic.  One of the best in the comp at marking his own man particularly when the opponent is of similar size.

Weaknesses:  Disposal is poor to say the least, and can be indecisive when he tries to run the ball, has spent far too much of his career lying flat out on the turf while the opposing team scores.

Overall:  O.K. time to be flat out honest - if Gas was on 300K a year we'd probably all say it was a slightly below average year but as the highest paid player at the club (I would think) Ga$par should not just be average, he should be outstanding.  Personally I think he's vastly over-rated at a time when there are few quality defensive talls going around, and not a hell of a lot of outstanding tall forwards around to exploit them.  Lloyd is probably the only real class forward around, with the rest either young up and comers (Brown, Pavlich, Riewolt, Koshinski) or at the end of their careers (Swartz, Carey).  For all his good qualities there's some fairly average stuff about Gaspar.  Personally I would have traded him to Freo or W.C. if the opportunity had of come around. Has two All-Australians which I actually think came "cheap" and a B&F which was highway robbery.

What he needs to do?
1)  Stay on his feet more often in a contest, particularly when the ball hits the deck.
2)  Take a $200K a year pay cut or at the least try and prove he deserves it.
3)  Pray Holland stays on his feet and that guys like Cameron or Campbell can clear the ball for him.
4)  Show a bit more leadership on the field - it was demoralising watching him close up in Sydney - and I think some of his team-mates weren't too impressed either.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Re: Daily Player reviews #1 Rory Hilton pt2

Overall:  O.K. time to be flat out honest - if Gas was on 300K a year we'd probably all say it was a slightly below average year but as the highest paid player at the club (I would think) Ga$par should not just be average, he should be outstanding.  Personally I think he's vastly over-rated at a time when there are few quality defensive talls going around, and not a hell of a lot of outstanding tall forwards around to exploit them.  Lloyd is probably the only real class forward around, with the rest either young up and comers (Brown, Pavlich, Riewolt, Koshinski) or at the end of their careers (Swartz, Carey).  For all his good qualities there's some fairly average stuff about Gaspar.  Personally I would have traded him to Freo or W.C. if the opportunity had of come around. Has two All-Australians which I actually think came "cheap" and a B&F which was highway robbery.

OMFG!!!!

This is so accurate its not funny.  What has happened to the average Richmond supporter?

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Re: Daily Player reviews #2 Darren Gaspar  pt2

What he needs to do.

Sell his mansion and find a home in Perth ;D

A

admin

I've already argued Gas's case on another thread, so won't go there again. (What a relief they all say, ha ;D)
I'd expect a big improvement from Gas when Dutchy comes back.
I suspect a few people might be eating their words by the end of the season.
Go Gas.

tro-boy

Get in my belly
Dec 18, 2002
Melbourne
www.austinpowers.com

agree 100% with the review of Gaspar. One additional comment....when he receives the ball in a play on situation, he looks completely lost. He is unable to bork players and has poor vision. I would suggest that he needs to learn to feed-off as soon as possible. Too may times he has been caught and turned over the ball way too easily. Other defenders need to realise this and need to be ready for feed-offs when Gaspar receives the ball.

If Gaspar does not have a steller 2003, he will denitely need to take a voluntary pay cut to save face. Otherwise he will be "tradeable" or alternatively face ridicule from the Richmond supporter base.

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney

Overall I'd agree with the assessment as given. Gas is a good player but in the end we have to acknowledge his game has a couple of pretty serious flaws (Disposal and decision making being the two biggies).

As far as the attitude thing went, like the OMH assessment I thought last year was woeful but this hasnt (to my mind) been something thats been prevalent thoughout his career so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for one more year on that one.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne

What happened up in Sydney in Rd 22. He had a great first half on Hall, then git carved up. It has been mentioned, but did he do something to p**s people off that night ???

I only hope that 2002 was a one off bad year.

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002

I think people are over-reacting. As the 15 yrs before Gas showed, a good full-back is extremely rare. He's done a good job in a position that is extremely tough. It's amazing how many people cut Richo slack, saying that with better disposal he'd be killing em etc. What about the poor ol full-back? If the blokes up field actually put more pressure on opposition runners, Gas wouldn't have to contend with pin-point passes to the Lloyds and Lynches of this world, which give him little chance. Defense is a team concept. We have to prevent the opposition having five or six midfielders running loose and with all the time in the world to hit targets.

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney

TB. I disagree that people being critical of Gas as over-reacting. So far on this forum I'd say the assessment of Gaspars recent form and overall ability have been pretty well measured with most saying "good player, some flaws, overrated".

I suspect your problem may be with the term over-rated which is often used as a nice way of saying "hack" but certainly isnt what most people are saying here.

Instead we are saying that he's (possibly) the highest paid player at our club, probably in the top 10-20 highest paid players in the comp and certainly in the top 2 or 3 defenders and he's not quite that good. Is he the most important player in our team - no, is he in the top 20 players in the AFL - I certainly dont think so, is he the best defender in the comp - no.

Thats no disgrace.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne

Way too harsh on Gas, IMO. He played most of last year carrying injuries to his shoulder, calf and groin - pretty debilitating for anyone, plus he had very little tall support all year. It's hard to be confident about what you're doing if you can't trust your body.
Given a decent level of fitness, I have absolutely no doubt that he'll be back to All-Australian form this year. He's a terrific defensive player, worth every cent.

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002

Yeah. And as I said, no-one is factoring in the effect of a non-existent midfield. If they are getting slaughtered, the person to really pay the price is the full-back. He was left hung out to dry like an Iraqi peasant under a US bombing blitz.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com

Agree with most that has been posted on Gas here.

Personally I like him as a player and without HOLLAND he has been forced to man players who are physically bigger than he is due to out obvious lack of tall defenders.

BUT he put his hand up for a huge contract and was quite happy to hold the club to ransom over it.

So if you want the big money then you have to prove you are worth it.

I hope that 2002 was a bad year, and he will be back to his best this year. He has to be if he want to justify that contract to the RFC and his team mates.

I am not saying Gas was in the wrong by securing the best deal he could for himself, but now he has an obligation to provide the service to the club that justifies the money

Good luck Gasman for 2003

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002

Good points, but... He could have got more money by leaving the club. So he didn't just go for the most money, he weighed up a few offers, and decided to go for one of the lesser ones in order to stay at Richmond. That all happened when contracts were at their peak, and we all know that the market has dived since then. But that's not his fault!

Having said that, I totally agree that anyone on big bucks has to put in big time.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002

TB.    

Instead we are saying that he's (possibly) the highest paid player at our club, probably in the top 10-20 highest paid players

Having just read the Clubs financials with a fine accounting tooth comb. There is not a doubt in my mind -PMac - *smile* is our highest paid player.

Have drawn this conclusions based on amounts payable in future years. ;)

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Re: Daily Player reviews #1 Rory Hilton pt2

OMFG!!!!

This is so accurate its not funny.  What has happened to the average Richmond supporter?

Probably what's happened TF, is that, after two decades of mediocrity, a healthy dose of reality has set in.