Plight of the 25th man | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Plight of the 25th man

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Most of the discussion so far has been focussed on getting the AFL comp re-started and how that might look in terms of possible starting dates, number of rounds, hubs or not, etc. But let's spare a thought for the players who don't make the 22 + 2 Emerg's ...i.e. the 25th man, plus. With no VFL comp or other feeder comp's interstate, how will they get proper match practice to show they are good enough to play at some stage in the future if they are selected? And if they are selected how can they perform well enough to hold their place? Any ideas on how this dilemma might be solved?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Most of the discussion so far has been focussed on getting the AFL comp re-started and how that might look in terms of possible starting dates, number of rounds, hubs or not, etc. But let's spare a thought for the players who don't make the 22 + 2 Emerg's ...i.e. the 25th man, plus. With no VFL comp or other feeder comp's interstate, how will they get proper match practice to show they are good enough to play at some stage in the future if they are selected? And if they are selected how can they perform well enough to hold their place? Any ideas on how this dilemma might be solved?

Injuries.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Of course the two emergencies don't usually get to play so they are in the same boat.
Perhaps combined training sessions with another club for match practice eg. Tigers and Pies, or whatever.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
It will just be fitness and training work, there won't be any feeder comps for anyone.
There’ll be a feeder comp of some description. I doubt it’ll be AFL reserves as was mooted so my guess will be the state league in some form.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Thought the idea was to play three rounds over two week blocks so that the season gets played quickly. In that case there will need to be a rotation of players to manage that impact. Will suit teams with good depth

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Now that hubs are less likely I think it is looking more like we will have a 'normal' 16 rounds, with standard breaks between games.
If the AFL can play, why couldn't the VFL? I imagine money is a big barrier, but just interested if there's a viable solution to this.

Reactions: 1 user

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
If the AFL can play, why couldn't the VFL? I imagine money is a big barrier, but just interested if there's a viable solution to this.
No crowds = no income.
Would think their one TV slot is an add-on from the AFL coverage ie no money.

Lot of talk about VFL clubs paying players $50. Response was that tradie/VFL players would rather work on weekends.

Reactions: 1 user

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
One avenue for those players is with the AFL trying to fit a lot of games into a short period sides will have to do some player management and that gives the fringe players opportunity.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
No crowds at VFL games? Why not just play them as a curtain raiser to the seniors.

I know, not an original idea, but not a bad one either.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
No crowds = no income.

Lot of talk about VFL clubs paying players $50. Response was that tradie/VFL players would rather work on weekends.
I think that people should get paid for doing their job, so yeah, 50 bucks is a joke. They just need to find the money, it's a pathway the AFL needs. Given the lack of live sports generally, there may be a taker for VFL coverage short-term for an amount that covers fair wages for players, even if the coverage is minimal and the support stuff limited - ie the ABC or an online service.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Hopefully this crisis gives the chance to do a complete reset of the footy structure.

Ideally we need the AFL, an AFL reserves and a state league in each state, perhaps an under 25 model with 4 exceptions in each team.

The money is in the game for that sort of structure but it is stuck in the wrong areas, like local footy. Talking to people in my old home town, their comp has a salary cap north of 100k. They have paid half a million bucks in the past four years to win about 4 games.

They need to do whatever it takes to kill the money at all other levels, it won't go easily so it has to made impossible for clubs to raise it. Stop charging gates, ban sponsor signage, make grounds BYO, get the ATO involved in targeting players.

If they can do that, some reasonable money in elite pathways will be much more attractive to the best players.

AFL reserves and a state league sounds like a great idea.

I remember years ago hearing Cricket Australia talking about how much they pay players in the Sheffield Shield and how they play the games in front of no-one at big grounds like the MCG. The reason was: no Sheffield Shield - no competitive Australian Cricket team.

Not sure if Cricket Australia still support state cricket as well as they should, but if you want a good AFL competition you need the next level or two down to be high standard. Otherwise, where the hell are the players going to come from?

DS

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
No crowds = no income.

I doubt that is true, who would play VFL for $50 when you could get at least $300 from most local Leagues & not have to train as hard etc.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Is it fact VFL players get $50? Possibly, if you’re a top up player from a suburban league but id hazard a guess the vast majority get more.