Podcasts | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Podcasts

Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
Pods are playing a big part in my life at the moment while the wait to start working continues. Here’s a few that I’ve been listening to, starting with sport. If anyone has any hot tips for pods, let us know:

Sport -
Pat’s chat: Patty Naish’s new pod. Don’t expect polish, but he’s had some good Tiger guests so far and he catches
their relaxed side. Higgo this week, Emma Murray last week
and Alex Rance a few weeks back.
Tiger Talk: hardcore Tiger chat. Been around forever.
The Howie Games: Definitely not hard hitting but gets massive guests and loves them up enough to keep them at ease. Cathy Freeman a highlight.
The Final Word: Outstanding cricket pod from some knowledgeable operators.
The Greatest Season that Was presents: Same crew as the above pod. The series about 1993 is great. The ep about 1993 Tigers is a great listen.
The series about Australia A in the mid-90’s is also a beaut.
In the Game: I know Damo has some haters here, but he’s letting Ross Lyon have his head at the moment, and I find it pretty good at times.

Interviews -
Wilosophy: Digs deep. Kurt Fearnley a highlight.
Conversations: (Richard Fidler, mostly) Quality.

History -
Hardcore History (Dan Carlin): Once you get past the action film narrator delivery, you find an outstanding show.
The History Listen: Aussie history. ABC.
Dan Snow’s history hit, History Extra.

Science - The Infinite Monkey Cage (Brian Cox), Star Talk (Neil Degrasse Tyson),

Comedy - off menu (Ed Gamble and James Acaster), The Phone Hacks, The debrief (Dave O’Neill), Somehow Related (O’Neill, Robbins), Team Effort.

Music -
Song Exploder, Dolly Patton’s America, Disgraceland.

I’ve got heaps more, but this is taking ages.
What’s everyone listening to?

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Great topic TJsF

Recently:

The Score: Bank Robber Diaries - life story of Joe Loya, the Beirut Bandit who robbed a bunch of banks in California armed only with brass balls, a winning personality and the implied threat of violence. I'm kind of over true crime podcasts but this one is good, particularly his time in prison and childhood.

S-Town - an eccentric clock restorer in an Alabama town has a theory about a murder. And he may have a stack of buried gold. https://stownpodcast.org/

Last Voyage of the Pong Su - from our very own The Age - the North Korean ship that tried to offload heroin onto the Surf Coast. Stories from the police, lawyers, feds, military and the story of the North Korean sailors and their fate. https://www.theage.com.au/pong-su

Footyology - Mark Fine and Roco rave on and on about football and other stuff. If you don't like them you won't like this, but it passes the time

Stoic Meditations - Massimo Pagliuci with a daily 2 minute talk about Stoic philosophy. a good intro to the school.

Mad Men Recap - not for everyone, but if you liked the show, this podcast is hilarious. One of the hosts is always mildly drunk Don Draper style. I watch an episode then listen to the recap.

The Clappers - Karl Quinn (Age film reviewer) and Andrew Young (some melbourne muso) review films, books, TV and talk a bit of Melbourne culture along the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Kick to Kick - a history of footy from the very start and then one season per episode. They sometimes get things wrong but they have done a lot of research and they get better as they go.

The History of Philosophy without any gaps - hmm, I am about 30 episodes into this, I listen when I run out of my regular podcasts. It has been going for maybe 5-8 years and I think he has reached Machiavelli. I'm still at Aristotle. This will take years to listen to, and then, one I haven't tried yet is the same guy doing a history of Indian and African philosophy, you guessed it, without any gaps. A monumental task to make and to listen to.

Talking Politics: English but quite good. Soft left perspective and the presenter, an academic from Cambridge, is currently doing a series on the history of ideas.

That 1993 pod was excellent, a forgettable year for the Tiges though.

DS

Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
I love passionate podcasters that undertake these huge projects David. Kudos for sticking with it. I intended to do that with the History of English podcast, which is also exhaustive, but I drifted away. There’s a podcast that discusses every Tom Waits song in chronological order - one per episode. That’s commitment.
I’d been meaning to get onto the Pong Su pod, Ant. I’ve heard it’s good.
It’d be remiss if I didn’t mention Rhett’s Tiger history pod. It’s a collection of interviews he’s done over many years, going right back to the nineties. Some are Richmond royalty but heaps aren’t. Blokes who played seconds in the 50’s or people who attended Tiger games in the early 20th century. It’s a real mixed bag with heaps of rare treasures and insights into Tigerland during different times.

Maneevo

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 13, 2011
Paddy Naish has been having a crack at podcasting; ‘Pat’s Chat’. It’s pretty raw, but it’s good for a laugh and great to hear some of our other players on it plus an episode with his old man which is a cracker. There’s an episode with Emma Murray also which is also well worth a listen.