Port Adelaide analysis - How to beat Port | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Port Adelaide analysis - How to beat Port

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Port Adelaide are a contest orientated team who highly value both contested possessions and centre clearances. They run a forward press where they aim to get the ball in quickly to their forward fifty and lock the ball in. They were ranked number 2 for time in forward half last season (2nd to only Richmond) and opponents struggle to move the football out of their d 50 to attack against port especially when they play on the narrow wings of Adelaide oval. Their gameplay somewhat mirrors Richmond with a couple of talls and a few speedy small forwards who can apply pressure to opponents. Teams that have beat Port in the last 12 months have been the ones who have beat them in the middle

Since the start of 2020:

When Port Adelaide do not lose contested possession and centre clearances they are 13-0 with a percentage of 170%

Conversely when they lose both contested possessions and centre clearances they are 0-3 with a percentage of 49.4%

When they win one of contested possessions or centre clearances and lose the other they hold a record of 3-1 with a percentage of 146.9% with their sole loss against Richmond in the prelim

Finally in situations where Port Adelaide lose or win in contested possessions or clearances whilst breaking even in the other stat they are 2-0

We play them interstate in round 4 and beating them up at the coalface we go a long way to getting the crucial 4 points
Good analysis, our improvement in clearances leading into the 20 finals campaign, was a premiership winning move

Reactions: 1 user

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Initially I was frustrated that we have to keep playing Port in Adelaide and not at the G but in hindsight, this could be a good thing if we both make the last game in Sept, they won’t know what hit them whereas an away game against Port has no fear for us.

Apart from that elimination final, we seem to match up well against them (without checking the stats)
8 of last 10 in adelaide & since that elim Final we are 6-3 against them

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
When we played them in the home & away last year we had plenty out and were smashed in the middle. Centre clearances were some ridiculous number and we were still with them with our ability to kick goals from turnovers. Centre clearances has now turned to a strength for us so won’t happen again.
That being said I rate them with the dogs as our biggest threat. I would still back us on the mcg against them however

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
When we played them in the home & away last year we had plenty out and were smashed in the middle. Centre clearances were some ridiculous number and we were still with them with our ability to kick goals from turnovers. Centre clearances has now turned to a strength for us so won’t happen again.
That being said I rate them with the dogs as our biggest threat. I would still back us on the mcg against them however
The Dogs were lucky they were playing the Pies last week, we'd have feasted on thier many turnovers.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
How to beat Port?
Make sure Sam Powell Pepper gets a heap of the ball

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Hartlett and the *smile* pick sender, duursmaa carried on like idiots and both lost the game for them in the prelim.
Hate players that strut without the resume needed.
Wankers.

Reactions: 5 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
To be fair, we haven’t played a good team yet.
Wrong IMHO. Swans were very good, and missing Buddy too. Will be very interesting to see where they end up this year, if they can sustain their current form enough to be a finals contender. But played really well yesterday; we were embarrassed.

Just doesn't necessarily mean a lot at this point of the season.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Wet Toast just gave them a belting, but simply eased up in Q4 to allow them some face-saving goals. Were more than double their score at 3/4 time: 86 - 39.

Their midfield was dominated. It's a pretty bad indicator when one of your HBFs leads the team's disposal numbers (Dan Houston). I thought they had no answers when the game was there to be won.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Wet Toast just gave them a belting, but simply eased up in Q4 to allow them some face-saving goals. Were more than double their score at 3/4 time: 86 - 39.

Their midfield was dominated. It's a pretty bad indicator when one of your HBFs leads the team's disposal numbers (Dan Houston). I thought they had no answers when the game was there to be won.
Sounds like us. Our biggest possession winners were Short and Baker.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Play accountable footy, not how we played against Sydney.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Kneecap the umpires before the game and replace them with Choco Williams and Kingsley as per our pre-season practise match v the Shemons. Its the only way we'll get a fair go at em