PRE 2015 Phantom Draft is Now Live | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

PRE 2015 Phantom Draft is Now Live

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Harry said:
Bully and Scoop for head recruiters. Make way Frank.

Isn't it funny how people on the internet can spot this sort of stuff and blokes that are presumably on 6 figures can't?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
St Kevin said:
Isn't it funny how people on the internet can spot this sort of stuff and blokes that are presumably on 6 figures can't?

Cause we don't over complicate it and we have no agenda. Sometimes less information and only working off a few things helps.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
St Kevin said:

It's probably because frank is too busy hiding behind trees, or too focussed on batchelor and couldn't see parker right in front of him, or too busy flying to WA every week to watch Conca from under 12's to under 18's. Seriously though I think our guys are too fixated on a particular player/s when watching them in juniors that they lose sight around them

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
SCOOP said:
Cause we don't over complicate it and we have no agenda. Sometimes less information and only working off a few things helps.

One thing I do know is our rating system has been developed in house when it comes to number crunching, won't go into detail but Champion Data has been discarded for a system which is supposedly more accurate when assessing disposal efficiency and various other key indicators. The other aspect which is glaring is our reluctance to give fair weighting to the strength of the opposition. As an example, Corey Ellis was running at 50% contested possessions in the TAC but this dipped below 30% at the u/18 carnival, his clearance numbers were also halved. We are now seeing that at AFL level he doesn't have the ball winning ability that he demonstrated at the lower levels, whether or not he was playing a role or to instruction is irrelevant, we need to be making assessments based on the highest quality opposition.

Looking back at the lost years of 2010-2012, how many of those players dominated state football? How many of those guys got a taste for senior footy at VFL level and performed strongly? Scanning the list we have effectively picked a list of no names, seemingly plucked from obscurity and I'm struggling to work out the criteria. We certainly haven't focused pace, aerobic capacity, contested ball winning ability or freakish skills. Just looking at our few wins, Ellis came with an elite motor, above average pace and a very polished skill set. Conca & Vlastuin possessed none of these traits, in fact it was fanciful to presume that number one, they could increase their aerobic capacity by 20% and slot into the midfield, and secondly, increase their possession gathering ability from 20 touches to 30. Perhaps with one of these qualities the other can be built upon, but to assume remedial action on both is just pie in the sky stuff.

As for the later picks, I'm usually scratching my head and this was the case up until the Miles draft when it finally clicked with regards to the successful player types. To that point we had developed another truly bizarre system whereby the successful player type was identified as guys like Piva Wright, Steven Verrier and Ben Darrou. By position perhaps targeting the defenders was a sound approach, but where were the skills and/or the athleticism?

Granted there's a fair bit of luck involved but I don't think recruiting is rocket science, I also think that FJ has been living off the Riewoldt, Martin and Cotchin picks much in the same way that Miller lived of his Carey & Longmire selections. There's been some improvement but 10 years should be long enough to at least put together a list capable of winning a final.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
bullus_hit said:
One thing I do know is our rating system has been developed in house when it comes to number crunching, won't go into detail but Champion Data has been discarded for a system which is supposedly more accurate when assessing disposal efficiency and various other key indicators. The other aspect which is glaring is our reluctance to give fair weighting to the strength of the opposition. As an example, Corey Ellis was running at 50% contested possessions in the TAC but this dipped below 30% at the u/18 carnival, his clearance numbers were also halved. We are now seeing that at AFL level he doesn't have the ball winning ability that he demonstrated at the lower levels, whether or not he was playing a role or to instruction is irrelevant, we need to be making assessments based on the highest quality opposition.

Looking back at the lost years of 2010-2012, how many of those players dominated state football? How many of those guys got a taste for senior footy at VFL level and performed strongly? Scanning the list we have effectively picked a list of no names, seemingly plucked from obscurity and I'm struggling to work out the criteria. We certainly haven't focused pace, aerobic capacity, contested ball winning ability or freakish skills. Just looking at our few wins, Ellis came with an elite motor, above average pace and a very polished skill set. Conca & Vlastuin possessed none of these traits, in fact it was fanciful to presume that number one, they could increase their aerobic capacity by 20% and slot into the midfield, and secondly, increase their possession gathering ability from 20 touches to 30. Perhaps with one of these qualities the other can be built upon, but to assume remedial action on both is just pie in the sky stuff.

As for the later picks, I'm usually scratching my head and this was the case up until the Miles draft when it finally clicked with regards to the successful player types. To that point we had developed another truly bizarre system whereby the successful player type was identified as guys like Piva Wright, Steven Verrier and Ben Darrou. By position perhaps targeting the defenders was a sound approach, but where were the skills and/or the athleticism?

Granted there's a fair bit of luck involved but I don't think recruiting is rocket science, I also think that FJ has been living off the Riewoldt, Martin and Cotchin picks much in the same way that Miller lived of his Carey & Longmire selections. There's been some improvement but 10 years should be long enough to at least put together a list capable of winning a final.
Well said Bully.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
bullus_hit said:

There's been some improvement but 10 years should be long enough to at least put together a list capable of winning a final.

This is bang on. We project far too much improvement and continue to take non onballers to try and convert into mids. Doesn't work. Draft mids stick them everywhere. Francis also puts far too much stock in the "nice guys".

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Also endorse Bullus' quality post. Frank has performed dismally overall. Just three recent high draft selections have little leg-speed (or endurance in at least 2 cases): Vlaustin, Lennon and CEllis. The modern team is built on pace and skills, crucially kicking, hand-balling cannot be that hard surely?

But you build from the centre bounce outwards: strong, fierce inside mids and ruck to win the ball; then the speed and skill outside to find and hit the target.

Apart from Miles, our team led by FJ have not done this still.