PRE 2018 Phantom Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

PRE 2018 Phantom Draft

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Cheers guys, will put out my top 50 once the medicals & final testing has been completed. Fair bit of depth this year, particularly with the midfielders. I'm pretty confident we'll get two good players with our first couple of selections.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
bullus_hit said:
Cheers guys, will put out my top 50 once the medicals & final testing has been completed. Fair bit of depth this year, particularly with the midfielders. I'm pretty confident we'll get two good players with our first couple of selections.
When is the final testing done?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
bullus_hit said:
Should be done by the end of the week, maybe slightly different times based on state.

Think it's next Wednesday for the Vic based boys, done at marvel stadium.

Caldwell is one of nine players who will undergo further medical tests at AFL House, along with Bailey Smith (Achilles), Thomas Berry (knee), Liam Stocker (shoulder), Zak Butters (shoulder), Jack Bytel (back), Max King (knee), Connor McFadyen (foot) and Will Kelly (ankle), all of whom were unable to test at the Combine due to their injuries.

Smith, Caldwell, Berry, Stocker and Butters will also compete in a 2km time trial in front of recruiters at Collingwood's Holden Centre headquarters, with another three players – James Rowbottom, Angus Hanrahan and Jai Nanscawen – taking part.

Valente doing a 2km in South Australia the same day. If Stocker runs an ok time, I'm all in.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
SCOOP said:
Think it's next Wednesday for the Vic based boys, done at marvel stadium.

Caldwell is one of nine players who will undergo further medical tests at AFL House, along with Bailey Smith (Achilles), Thomas Berry (knee), Liam Stocker (shoulder), Zak Butters (shoulder), Jack Bytel (back), Max King (knee), Connor McFadyen (foot) and Will Kelly (ankle), all of whom were unable to test at the Combine due to their injuries.

Smith, Caldwell, Berry, Stocker and Butters will also compete in a 2km time trial in front of recruiters at Collingwood's Holden Centre headquarters, with another three players – James Rowbottom, Angus Hanrahan and Jai Nanscawen – taking part.

Valente doing a 2km in South Australia the same day. If Stocker runs an ok time, I'm all in.

My boy played his whole junior footy with Bailey Smith. Watched him since U/9s. Rare combination of power, speed and endurance.
From the same club as Higlet, it will be interesting to watch their careers unfold. Smith the more decorated junior until U/18s although injury has played a part in his progress.
There's another absolute beauty coming through next year too. He debuted for Vic Metro wearing number 1 in the last game of the Championships and immediately looked at home

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Dont Argue said:
My boy played his whole junior footy with Bailey Smith. Watched him since U/9s. Rare combination of power, speed and endurance.
From the same club as Higlet, it will be interesting to watch their careers unfold. Smith the more decorated junior until U/18s although injury has played a part in his progress.
There's another absolute beauty coming through next year too. He debuted for Vic Metro wearing number 1 in the last game of the Championships and immediately looked at home

Has gone from promising back flanker to bonafide gun mid, his learning curve is another big tick. Have mentioned before but he could emerge is the midfielder of the draft.

Talking about teammates, Balta & Williams played together and had a fair bit of onfield chemistry, particularly when alternating in the ruck. These are small things that can make a difference.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
bullus_hit said:
Has gone from promising back flanker to bonafide gun mid, his learning curve is another big tick. Have mentioned before but he could emerge is the midfielder of the draft.

Talking about teammates, Balta & Williams played together and had a fair bit of onfield chemistry, particularly when alternating in the ruck. These are small things that can make a difference.

Interesting that you say H.B.F Bully which is fair enough as many juniors get pegged for the position they played from U/18's onwards, but it is important to mention that Smith won SMJFL competition B&F's and club B&F's his entire junior career ( year after year ) playing midfield and nothing but.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
bullus_hit said:
Can we be greedy & hope for 2 handy players with our 4th rounders as well?

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Dont Argue said:
Interesting that you say H.B.F Bully which is fair enough as many juniors get pegged for the position they played from U/18's onwards, but it is important to mention that Smith won SMJFL competition B&F's and club B&F's his entire junior career ( year after year ) playing midfield and nothing but.

They do get thrown around the park a bit, this is where it pays to know their background. Balta for example had never played in defence until he played for Vic Metro, it's one key reason he slipped down the order. Sometimes you can get a bargain if you suspect a bit of errant coaching. I remember watching Tadgh Kennelly throwing his players all over the park for the Allies & the All-Stars a couple of years ago, from a draft perspective it was poison given this was meant to showcase the players best abilities. Parfitt was one player who suffered a fair bit.

This year Bailey Williams has been thrown around so he lacks a bit of continuity, that's in part why I'm not marking him down too much. From my perspective he's still in the top dozen prospects.

Jonesracing82 said:
Can we be greedy & hope for 2 handy players with our 4th rounders as well?

Yep, there's some on the list who could be bargains. Just have to wait and see what opposition clubs do. I'd even be tempted to start dipping into the state league stocks around the 60 mark, that would give us pole position in grabbing the pick of the litter.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Just looked at Balmer's Phantom and all the guys I like are off the board, Williams one spot earlier to Adelaide, Valente gone too, Jones in the top 10. He has us taking Stocker which could be the best available, Hill also worthy of consideration at that point.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
bullus_hit said:
Just looked at Balmer's Phantom and all the guys I like are off the board, Williams one spot earlier to Adelaide, Valente gone too, Jones in the top 10. He has us taking Stocker which could be the best available, Hill also worthy of consideration at that point.

Bully would you have Stocker above Duursma?

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
BrisTiger24 said:
Bully would you have Stocker above Duursma?

Really good question, I have Stocker ranked at 18, Duursma 19 & Hill 20. Really tough call, will probably need to wait on Stocker's testing but that being said I think Duursma has some good qualities. Looking at this logically, even if Duursma doesn't quite cut it as a mid he's a good show to fill the void left by Houli. His outside game is also far superior to Stocker so more chance he becomes that genuine A grader.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The real risky but some what defensible move would be taking Xavier O. With his athletic profile, I could see him turning into an incredible weapon of half back like Dursma but a slightly different type at the same time.

And Bully, I'm not having a crack at you with the Williams idea, I see it to a point, it's a wide open draft and there are at least 8-10 semi defensible picks that we could make. It's bloody tough. The debate is always good.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
I rather we get Lewis from SA latter on in second or third round be nice if we can pair him up with Valente or Stocker.Bullus hit as mentioned grabbing Lentini would be a grest haul for us to.Do you see Lentini as a outside or inside player.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
SCOOP said:
The real risky but some what defensible move would be taking Xavier O. With his athletic profile, I could see him turning into an incredible weapon of half back like Dursma but a slightly different type at the same time.

And Bully, I'm not having a crack at you with the Williams idea, I see it to a point, it's a wide open draft and there are at least 8-10 semi defensible picks that we could make. It's bloody tough. The debate is always good.

No probs, I always enjoy the debates, gets me working a little harder with the research. Just on Williams, Balmer reckons he has some inside intelligence & he's pretty adament Adelaide will go tall.

Stocker vs Duursma vs Hill is a decision I'll need some time to mull over, there's plenty of justification for each one. As for O'Halloran, certainly in the frame although slightly below the other 3, I have him ranked at 27. The big concern being the lowly possession tallies.

daniel30 said:
I rather we get Lewis from SA latter on in second or third round be nice if we can pair him up with Valente or Stocker.Bullus hit as mentioned grabbing Lentini would be a grest haul for us to.Do you see Lentini as a outside or inside player.

Second round would be my strategy & I agree, this is the value selection in the 40-50 range. Lentini is very inside at the moment but has shown some ability to break the lines, that's something that should spark some interest. Still not the complete mid but signs pointing in the right direction.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
bullus_hit said:
Really good question, I have Stocker ranked at 18, Duursma 19 & Hill 20. Really tough call, will probably need to wait on Stocker's testing but that being said I think Duursma has some good qualities. Looking at this logically, even if Duursma doesn't quite cut it as a mid he's a good show to fill the void left by Houli. His outside game is also far superior to Stocker so more chance he becomes that genuine A grader.

Spent a bit of time with Duursma's parents recently and they don't think he is a midfielder. More flank / wing. In short pure outside.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Ghost of 29 said:
Spent a bit of time with Duursma's parents recently and they don't think he is a midfielder. More flank / wing. In short pure outside.

That's always been my query, could still be damaging but I think one needs to go with the guy who will play in the middle. So at this stage I'm probably leaning towards Stocker, just need to wait on his 2km run time to filter through.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Knowing what we now know, how do we think Jack Graham would rate in this draft as a midfield talent?
Is he better than Stocker, Valente or Ely Smith? Try putting his G.F heroics aside for a minute