PRE 2022 Phantom Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

PRE 2022 Phantom Draft

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
So let's get started, Scoop can take the Blues if there are no takers by the time we get to pick 10.

Spook now needs to decide if an Ashcroft bid is in order.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
It's a no to Mehscroft from us at the Giants.

We didn't trade up to play games.

1. Aaron Cadman. 194cm, athletic key forward with good hands and a nice left foot. Good leap, endurance to run his man up and down the field and the pace to create separation on the lead. Gets it done at ground level too. Consistent and looks like he wants to be The Man, both highly desirable qualities. Even after losing a couple of mids to some club we're still pretty flush with them. AC is our man.

@Scoop is up with the next two picks for Norf.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
At Pick 2 Brisbane Lions Select Will Ashcroft
Up Next North Melbourne @Scoop

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I’ve cut this about eight times. There’s nothing you can do to speed up Norths bid.

It’s the most vanilla list ever. You can play it safe and go two mids. They need a key forward. Cadman was the pick.

2. George Wardlaw 182cm 82cm. Had a rotten year luck wise, COVID, concussion and repeat hamstrings after never having had soft tissue problems before. There's been talk of him being Clayton Oliver like. I do think that the ability to get handball out of traffic is Oliver like. He raises his hands above his waist so well. And like Oliver, handbells at all sorts of crazy angles but that's the end of the Clayton-like calls for me. He is 7cm shorter. For me, he is the second coming of Luke Parker. Exactly the same size, the same attack on the ball, the same hint of wanting to bury you, and the same kicking action that isn't super smooth but it super effective. Wardlaw just competes like a madman at the stoppage, second or third efforts in the contest, and then when it gets to the outside he's trying to get back involved. Look at the way he competes against the Collingwood VFL side. Watch the first ten seconds and you will see the quick hands, the clean pickup the perfect unload, and then he is the first one tackling. That snippet is enough for me. But watch the rest, this is against men, he has time with the ball, and he weaves through traffic. And when he hits the contest, they stay hit. There is almost Joel Selwood-like attributes. You see more of it when he plays TAC. If it wasn't for the lack of footy (COVID and a concussion aren't major red flags but would have limited his output severely), and the hammy he'd be close to Ashcroft.

Put him next to LDU, Symkin, Tarryn Thomas, a fit Cunnington, hopefully Will Phillips shows why he was pick 3 and Tom Powell and you've got an ok mix of onballers. The Roos are also already stacked with young on-ballers, using their past six top-13 draft picks on midfielders, that's why I'd go this lad with the next pick

As the article states "The Roos are also already stacked with young on-ballers, using their past six top-13 draft picks on midfielders", I did toy with Jhye Clark here, he is next on my board but in the end that glut of mids is why I'd go this lad with the next pick..

3. Harry Shezzel.

Read the below, it sums up everything perfectly. And remember he led the TAC goal kicking with 36. He is a weapon forward of center. North needs this desperately. He can easily be Connor Rozzee. I thought of going another mid but North have zero stars in the front half.

And now watch the entire package on display.

Both are risky but North needs stars. Forward of center, they are so vanilla. These two could be elite, not core footballers but multiple All-Australian players.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
I’ve cut this about eight times. There’s nothing you can do to speed up Norths bid.

It’s the most vanilla list ever. You can play it safe and go two mids. They need a key forward. Cadman was the pick.

2. George Wardlaw
3. Harry Shezzel.

Both are risky but North need stars. Forward of centre they are so vanilla. These two could be elite, not core footballers but multiple All Australian players.

I will put together a longer piece here as to why I took these two.
Do you recon they could trade to pick 8 or 10 on the night and take the second choice key forward?

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
Essendon select Elijah Tsatas with pick four. We think he is the best available at this pick. He is a tall midfielder who can play inside and outside.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
5. Jhye Clark

Very tough decision in a very uncertain top 15. Couldn’t decide between him, Mackenzie or Tsatas but Essendon have taken him off the board so that takes care of that. (Note: Tsatas is a huge Richmond fan fwiw.) Won’t be surprised if Hawthorn take Mackenzie in the real draft.

I’ll know I’ve pulled the wrong rein on Clark if Geelong have access to him and don’t take him. If the Suns take him it’ll be hard going for him and his career (or anyone else for that matter).

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Since i missed out on representing GC, despite watching every academy game for a decade , :cool:

Can i be the AfL and change rules all the time?

My first ruling would be tsatas is reserved for geelong

Ill shut up now

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Hawks were hoping Clark would get to them but thats not happening.

Hawks instead will draft Mattaes Phillipou at Pick 7. Considered Bailey Humphrey but with Phillipou dual position, if he doesn't make it in the middle, he can be moved forward and at 192cm he's a good size to move forward.

@TigerForce next up with Pick 8

• Angry

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
*smile* the way this is going by the time it gets around for Richmonds pick, the actual draft would have happened.

• Haha

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
OK, we are Geelong the greatest team of all. Bloody hell we're good, just ask us. We don't need to be here as we have the team to win the next 5 flags but anyway, as Gold Coast has stolen our pick Jhye Clark from our plan without even thinking....geez....we might as well act. Looks like the next best for us would be Cameron McKenzie, who we know is a St Kilda academy player, but as he looks like a well built mid to cover the greatest ever player in our retired Joel Selwood, we'll take him with our 1st pick. Those Saints better just concentrate on looking for a proper coach.

Next pick #9 is @tigerdell West Coast

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
With pick 9 West Coast select Elijah Hewitt

We had planned to throw a spanner in this draft and select a sow fozzie in Phillipou, but Mr Porks got there ahead of us.

Hewitt is the dominant onballer we need, can work in tight and burst out into space.
We like him a lot and has the class and competitiveness to be our #1 mid. We will build the midfield around him.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Alrighty!

The Saints choose with pick 10…..Ross Lyon! No wait, Jedd Busslinger

SNAPSHOT: “The leading key defender in the pool, Jedd Busslinger stands as one of the few prospects to have played senior State League football this season, looking comfortable with the higher intensity and bigger bodies”

As the standout tall defender amongst the draft crop, Jedd Busslinger has performed well at every level he has played over the last two years, playing as a bottom-ager in the WA Under 19s side last season, and then making the step up to WAFL League in 2022. Busslinger’s quality is obvious for those that watch him and he makes his games count, highlighted with Under 18s All-Australian selection despite playing just two Under 18s Championships games. Unfortunately having his season cut short due to mid year shoulder surgery, Busslinger has done everything he possibly could to ensure he gets selected in November’s National Draft.”

The Saints look forward to developing The Buss over the next 2 seasons before he transfers back to WA and the Dockers.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
an earthquake just knocked out my internet so I may have trouble updating the spreadsheet but will put my pick in once Scoop is done, to King Kong & Bengal Tiger, I will remove the filter but please don't get personal this year, happy to have a yarn but not up for the insults