Pre-season draft - Friday 10am | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pre-season draft - Friday 10am

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
From afl.com.au

Either St Kilda or Richmond will have the first pick in Friday’s pre-season draft when a ballot will be drawn just before the meeting starts at 10am. But only seven clubs will compete in the draft.

Adelaide, Collingwood, Geelong, Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda and Sydney will be eligible for the pre-season draft while the Brisbane Lions, Carlton, Fremantle, Port Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs have all been ruled ineligible due to estimates on their TPP (Total Player Payments) for 2003.

Essendon, Hawthorn, the Kangaroos and West Coast already have full senior lists for 2003 and were therefore unable to participate in the pre-season draft.

The pre-season draft will be the 15th of its kind, but unlike the early years which produced about 50 picks – and even 81 selections in 1993 – this draft will produce just a handful of draftees, with several clubs expected to pass on their pick.

St Kilda is set to claim former Melbourne midfielder Stephen Powell with its first pick, while former Brisbane Lions’ defender Craig Bolton is being sounded out by Richmond and Sydney – the club he has been training with during the pre-season period.

The AFL pre-season draft selection order:

Round One
1. St Kilda or Richmond
2. St Kilda or Richmond
3. Sydney
4. Geelong
5. Melbourne
6. Adelaide
7. Collingwood

Round Two
8. St Kilda
9. Richmond