PRE sponsored player Luke McGuane answers our questions | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

PRE sponsored player Luke McGuane answers our questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
PRE sponsored player Luke McGuane answers our questions

@Anduril
What were your first impressions of being a player at an AFL club?

LM - I was pretty excited and couldn’t get over the amount of support we received.

What do you do to relax?
LM - I like to get out and play other sports with mates such as golf, tennis…..

Do you have another career path planned other than AFL?
LM - I'm still doing year 12 at the moment, so I’ll see how that goes.

@Bingo
How difficult was it for you to adjust to the differences between your lifestyle in QLD and here in VIC?

LM - I found it hard for the first few weeks because I had know idea where I was or how to get around but the club helped out by putting me in with Shane Morrison for the first month.

Was AFL a long term goal for you? Ie did you always think you would make it, or were you a bit unsure about it?
LM - I always hoped to make it but was never sure so I just put everything into it and that’s all I could do.

What were your plans if you didn’t make AFL?
LM - To finish my schooling and go to uni.

@JoshnbeksDad
What are you goals for this year?

LM - My goals for this year are to get my arm back to 100% and hopefully recover quick enough to play the last few games of season 2005 with Coburg.

Where do you see your best position?
LM - I see myself as a full forward/ forward flank until I build my body up a bit more.

What roles has Uncle Mick played in your development?
LM - Mick has played a bigger part of my development now im in Victoria but always tutored me as a young kid.

@Rosy
Does it inspire you to work harder when you see the young players making their senior debuts?

LM - Yes it does, especially now that I'm injured. I really want to get back to peak fitness.

Is there a good camaraderie between players like you and Dean Polo who are being developed for the future?
LM - Yes there is a very good camaraderie between us and the other young players.

@FullBackFwd
What position does Terry see/want you playing in, or think you are best suited to?

LM - I think most forward roles.

Who have you learnt from the most in your time at the club?
LM - Mostly Richo, but all the senior boy’s.

Who do you use as a role model for your game and why?
LM - Mathew Richardson because I admire the way he goes about it and he plays a similar position to me.

@BalmyArmy
What do you consider to be your strongest attributes to your game?

LM - I think my marking, endurance and speed are my strengths.

Do you have a nickname?
LM - I get sticks a bit or sometimes Wally for Wally Lewis because that’s the only Queenslander they know of.

Have you, as a new recruit, been told much about the clubs history, and do you feel you have an understanding of the pride and passion within the place? Has this been installed into all of the young recruits?
LM - Yes it has been a big point everyone gets across to the recruits.

What are your current living arrangements?
LM - I live with a host family and I enjoy it very much.

@Redford
Is it correct that all recruits from pick 20 onwards will be blooded in the Coburg reserves regardless of how they are going because of limits on the amount of RFC players that can play in the Coburg Seniors?

LM - There's no actual limit on the amount of RFC players playing for Coburg seniors through out the season. However there is a 12 and 10 rule in the finals. For this reason the coaching staff like to play 12 and 10 through the season.

@DirtyDogTiger
What happened to your arm?

LM - I snapped the humerus bone which is the upper arm. I had an operation to insert a steel rod through the bone to re- straighten it and hold it still.

@BalmyArmy
How far back in your development has this put you?

LM - It's hard to say because if I come back and have another good pre-season who knows what could happen, because it a whole new season and I would of sent last year building up.

@loto
Which club did you follow growing up?

LM - I was a Collingwood supporter as that’s who Mick played for.

Did you expect to be drafted last year? If so, by Richmond?
LM - I was a bit uncertain, I thought my best chance was the 2005 draft but luckily and unexpectedly the tigers picked me up.

@taraba
I used to play cricket with your Dad, Gavin, at Broadbeach. He is a great man with great leadership qualities. How big an influence was your father on your career?

LM - He was a big influence as I was always told I had big shoes to fill, he was always there helping, teaching and supporting me.

How did he feel when you were drafted to Richmond? Was he sad to see you move to Melbourne or was it one of his biggest thrills to hear his sons name called out on draft day?
LM - It was defiantly one of his biggest thrills.

@momentai
How are you Ritchie, and Lids getting on with your studies? Has this drawn you closer to the club or do you think it is easier to to concentrate at school? Recognising this year is a really important one, all Tigers supporters wish you the best.

LM - Thank you, yeah me, Richie and Brett have definitely been drawn closer to the club. It makes things much easier with our busy schedules.

@thejinx
Do any of the players spend time together in a social way? If so, who?

LM - Yes most of the players spend plenty of time socializing together, we are all pretty close.

Are there any quiet players around the club that keep to themselves?
LM - No not really most players say their piece but some are more quiet than others.

Thanks to Luke for taking time to answer our questions and thanks to Balmyarmy and Greg Miller for organising it.

PLAYER PROFILE from richmondfc.com.au

Luke McGuane

Height: 191cm
Guernsey Number: 38
Weight: 76kg
Recruited From: Broadbeach, QLD
Date of Birth: 12 February 1987

ABOUT

Touted as a future ruck or key position prospect, this lean Queenslander represented his state at under-16 and under-18 level. A talented athlete with great mobility for a 192cm player, he is the cousin of Magpie great Mick McGuane, who has joined the Tigers’ coaching panel for 2005.

Draft history: 2004 National Bank's AFL Draft 3rd round selection (Richmond) No. 36 overall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.