Prestia !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Prestia !!

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
Article in The Age with a headline about

Stewart knocking Prestia out and getting a 4 week ban and how Prestia thinks he should have got more.

Media trying to spice things up, pity we are a lame duck atm and they never waved that flag when it happened. It was all good bloke Stewart last year.

Reactions: 4 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
RFC and Tiger supporters are damn lucky to have Prestia.
What a quality person. Gun player.
He has been such an important cog in the Club's success since his arrival at Tigerland.
Reckon he's going to have a cracker game against the cats.

Reactions: 2 users

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003

‘He should have got more’, but Prestia not holding a grudge over Stewart hit​

Michael Gleeson

ByMichael Gleeson

May 11, 2023 — 11.30am

Dion Prestia doesn’t hold a grudge against Tom Stewart for knocking him out last year. And he doesn’t want the Cats player booed on Friday night, but he does think Stewart got off lightly at the tribunal.
“I know that’s not in his demeanour at all [but] honestly, I thought he should have got more,” Prestia said of the four-game ban Stewart got for running past the ball, shirt-fronting Prestia and leaving him knocked out and concussed.
Dion Prestia will play his 200th game on Friday night.

Dion Prestia will play his 200th game on Friday night. CREDIT:EDDIE JIM
“I look at different incidents that happen throughout the season and think he should have got more, but it is what it is.
“I appreciate he [Stewart] reached out to me and Joel Selwood as well reached out at the time. I know it was something he definitely didn’t go out and try to do during the game, it was a brain fade.”

Prestia said he didn’t hold it against Stewart and wouldn’t look to retaliate when the pair meet on Friday night, and nor would he expect a teammate to do so.
“No, not at all, no grudge at all. I think you go into the game with so many other things going through your head and what you need to do. It’s not something that I’m going to worry about.”
Stewart said in a radio interview this week that he expected to be booed by Richmond fans and felt he probably deserved it given the hit, but Prestia hopes that doesn’t happen. He doesn’t like booing and encouraged Tiger fans not to boo Stewart.
“I actually hope they don’t boo him. I don’t think it’s a great look, seeing the stuff with Jason Horne-Francis I think is a bit disappointing,” Prestia said.

“I’m sure there’s gonna be people in the crowd who pay money to go the footy and support and stuff [who will boo], but yeah, hopefully not. If I’m over it, they should be.”
For an incident so much talked about, Prestia recalls little of it. He remembers the immediate play beforehand, tapping the ball over to Jack Graham, and then waking up to the looming face of a doctor in the changing rooms. Looking back at video of the incident now becomes an otherworldly experience, watching yourself do something you have no memory of.
“The confronting part [now] was where the trainer was with me and I don’t remember,” he said.
“I ran off the ground during that. I was, like, talking to people on the bench. And I remember that. That was probably the thing that was a bit weird.”

The return match against the Cats, and Stewart, deflects from a celebration of Prestia’s career. He plays his 200th game. Coincidentally, it is also the 200th game this week of his former Gold Coast Suns teammate and still-close friend Steven May.
It feels a world away from then to consider May and Prestia as Suns players, indeed May as the captain. Since leaving, they have won four flags between them at their new clubs, been All-Australian (May) and won a best and fairest in a premiership year (Prestia). It’s a reminder of what might have been at Gold Coast when you also consider other former young Suns Tom Lynch, Jaeger O’Meara, Jack Martin, Charlie Dixon and Tom Hickey are still toiling and performing at other clubs.
The Suns days: (From left) Dion Prestia, Tom Lynch, Gary Ablett jnr and Steven May.

The Suns days: (From left) Dion Prestia, Tom Lynch, Gary Ablett jnr and Steven May.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
“I absolutely loved my time on the Gold Coast. I have so many friends who live with up there who are still there or moved clubs as well. We learned how to grow up together and everything like that. So that’s why you always have that connection,” Prestia said.
“Big Steve May’s playing his 200th this week as well. I’m real close with Steve, like, we pretty much bonded as soon as we met each other up there.”

One of the more remarkable things about Prestia is he is essentially the same build as he was then.
“I was looking at photos from my Calder Cannons year. I’m like, I actually haven’t really changed all that much,” he said. Which partly explains why he quickly earned the nickname “Meatball” at the Suns.
Though Lynch, his teammate at Richmond and the Gold Coast, said he also picked up another nickname at the Suns - “The Box”. He was just a block.
Lynch recalled that the Suns told Prestia when he came to Melbourne for games and went home to Craigieburn that he had to tell his mum not to load him up with so much pasta because he had to trim down, not bulk up.
“I look for my first goal against West Coast, I’m actually pretty big there,” Prestia said.

But the home cooking hasn’t rubbed off on Prestia.
Game breaker: Dion Prestia’s three-goal burst in the third term gave the Tigers an advantage they did not relinquish against the West Coast Eagles on Saturday.

Game breaker: Dion Prestia’s three-goal burst in the third term gave the Tigers an advantage they did not relinquish against the West Coast Eagles on Saturday.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
“I’ve lived with him for two years, and he has cooked me a meal once,” said teammate Ivan Soldo. Though the ruckman is not complaining, he joins Prestia at the Craigieburn family home for meals once or twice a week and always comes home with a big spread of leftovers.
Often the man-child in football can come to earth when the other teenagers catch up, and the physical edge the teenager has diminishes. That hasn’t happened in Prestia’s case, primarily because while his strength gave him an edge, so too did his explosive pace. And if you have pace, you don’t lose an edge.
Now he has a very tailored gym program and doesn’t do any upper body weights at all because he gets too big.

The other reason Prestia has retained an edge is that he has an intuitive understanding of the game. Soldo reckons he will be a coach when he finishes playing.
Andrew McQualter, one of the assistant coaches at Richmond who also played with Prestia briefly at the Suns, had little doubt he would transition to coaching because he is already doing it.
Prestia is one of the conduit players on the ground. He sees problems on the field in real time, and makes changes he knows the coaches will want before messages are sent.
“His ability to see the game is incredible. Him, Shane Edwards and Kane Lambert are the smartest players I have seen. He helps the group understand what it is we are doing,” McQualter said.

“But if we ever do anything at training that he thinks doesn’t relate to the game, he pulls us up straight away. He gets grumpy. You get ‘Grumpy Dion’ and ‘Happy Dion’ and if we have ‘Happy Dion’, we are all happy.”

His football intelligence was one of the reasons that Tigers coach Damien Hardwick re-deployed him from the midfield last week into the forward line with a very simple instruction: you will work it out.
“I was actually pretty lucky, ‘Dimma’ kind of gave me a blank canvas and said ‘You’re smart enough to know the role, see how you play that role’,” Prestia said.
It worked out OK. Prestia kicked three goals in minutes and turned the game.

“The first one was like, ‘finally, I’ve kicked a goal this year’. And then I think by the end of it we were all like half laughing at it because it’s such a rare thing for someone to do let alone a midfielder who isn’t known for kicking goals.
“I did say to them [the other forwards]: ‘It’s not that hard’.”
Surprisingly, he ran further and at a high pace for longer than he did as a midfielder. But he didn’t get knocked around in packs quite the same way.
Managing his body has been an ongoing thing. The frustration for Richmond fans, as much as for Prestia, is how noticeable it is when he isn’t there. He is a talismanic player.
“The way I play probably exposes me more to injury issues. Being more explosive and things like that it’s accepting that injuries are a part of the game,” he said.

“I haven’t had anything with my knees since I’ve been at Richmond. Touch wood, the body is in good shape. That’s why I feel like I’ve still got a fair bit of footy left in me.”
After 200 games, the former Sun is still rising.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
adam goodes was booed because he was past his game and should of retired sooner, he often sought the free kick (push out, high tackle, etc). to prolong his career. Every fan saw this, why didn't the media call this out?????? not because of the colour of his skin.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Go read the first few pages of this thread, in celebration of our champ’s 200. The stench of 2016 is overwhelming, but funny.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
adam goodes was booed because he was past his game and should of retired sooner, he often sought the free kick (push out, high tackle, etc). to prolong his career. Every fan saw this, why didn't the media call this out?????? not because of the colour of his skin.
Dont try to open that debate again. Especially not on Dion Prestia's thread.

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005

‘He should have got more’, but Prestia not holding a grudge over Stewart hit​

Michael Gleeson

ByMichael Gleeson

May 11, 2023 — 11.30am

Dion Prestia doesn’t hold a grudge against Tom Stewart for knocking him out last year. And he doesn’t want the Cats player booed on Friday night, but he does think Stewart got off lightly at the tribunal.
“I know that’s not in his demeanour at all [but] honestly, I thought he should have got more,” Prestia said of the four-game ban Stewart got for running past the ball, shirt-fronting Prestia and leaving him knocked out and concussed.
Dion Prestia will play his 200th game on Friday night.

Dion Prestia will play his 200th game on Friday night. CREDIT:EDDIE JIM
“I look at different incidents that happen throughout the season and think he should have got more, but it is what it is.
“I appreciate he [Stewart] reached out to me and Joel Selwood as well reached out at the time. I know it was something he definitely didn’t go out and try to do during the game, it was a brain fade.”

Prestia said he didn’t hold it against Stewart and wouldn’t look to retaliate when the pair meet on Friday night, and nor would he expect a teammate to do so.
“No, not at all, no grudge at all. I think you go into the game with so many other things going through your head and what you need to do. It’s not something that I’m going to worry about.”
Stewart said in a radio interview this week that he expected to be booed by Richmond fans and felt he probably deserved it given the hit, but Prestia hopes that doesn’t happen. He doesn’t like booing and encouraged Tiger fans not to boo Stewart.
“I actually hope they don’t boo him. I don’t think it’s a great look, seeing the stuff with Jason Horne-Francis I think is a bit disappointing,” Prestia said.

“I’m sure there’s gonna be people in the crowd who pay money to go the footy and support and stuff [who will boo], but yeah, hopefully not. If I’m over it, they should be.”
For an incident so much talked about, Prestia recalls little of it. He remembers the immediate play beforehand, tapping the ball over to Jack Graham, and then waking up to the looming face of a doctor in the changing rooms. Looking back at video of the incident now becomes an otherworldly experience, watching yourself do something you have no memory of.
“The confronting part [now] was where the trainer was with me and I don’t remember,” he said.
“I ran off the ground during that. I was, like, talking to people on the bench. And I remember that. That was probably the thing that was a bit weird.”

The return match against the Cats, and Stewart, deflects from a celebration of Prestia’s career. He plays his 200th game. Coincidentally, it is also the 200th game this week of his former Gold Coast Suns teammate and still-close friend Steven May.
It feels a world away from then to consider May and Prestia as Suns players, indeed May as the captain. Since leaving, they have won four flags between them at their new clubs, been All-Australian (May) and won a best and fairest in a premiership year (Prestia). It’s a reminder of what might have been at Gold Coast when you also consider other former young Suns Tom Lynch, Jaeger O’Meara, Jack Martin, Charlie Dixon and Tom Hickey are still toiling and performing at other clubs.
The Suns days: (From left) Dion Prestia, Tom Lynch, Gary Ablett jnr and Steven May.

The Suns days: (From left) Dion Prestia, Tom Lynch, Gary Ablett jnr and Steven May.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
“I absolutely loved my time on the Gold Coast. I have so many friends who live with up there who are still there or moved clubs as well. We learned how to grow up together and everything like that. So that’s why you always have that connection,” Prestia said.
“Big Steve May’s playing his 200th this week as well. I’m real close with Steve, like, we pretty much bonded as soon as we met each other up there.”

One of the more remarkable things about Prestia is he is essentially the same build as he was then.
“I was looking at photos from my Calder Cannons year. I’m like, I actually haven’t really changed all that much,” he said. Which partly explains why he quickly earned the nickname “Meatball” at the Suns.
Though Lynch, his teammate at Richmond and the Gold Coast, said he also picked up another nickname at the Suns - “The Box”. He was just a block.
Lynch recalled that the Suns told Prestia when he came to Melbourne for games and went home to Craigieburn that he had to tell his mum not to load him up with so much pasta because he had to trim down, not bulk up.
“I look for my first goal against West Coast, I’m actually pretty big there,” Prestia said.

But the home cooking hasn’t rubbed off on Prestia.
Game breaker: Dion Prestia’s three-goal burst in the third term gave the Tigers an advantage they did not relinquish against the West Coast Eagles on Saturday.

Game breaker: Dion Prestia’s three-goal burst in the third term gave the Tigers an advantage they did not relinquish against the West Coast Eagles on Saturday.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
“I’ve lived with him for two years, and he has cooked me a meal once,” said teammate Ivan Soldo. Though the ruckman is not complaining, he joins Prestia at the Craigieburn family home for meals once or twice a week and always comes home with a big spread of leftovers.
Often the man-child in football can come to earth when the other teenagers catch up, and the physical edge the teenager has diminishes. That hasn’t happened in Prestia’s case, primarily because while his strength gave him an edge, so too did his explosive pace. And if you have pace, you don’t lose an edge.
Now he has a very tailored gym program and doesn’t do any upper body weights at all because he gets too big.

The other reason Prestia has retained an edge is that he has an intuitive understanding of the game. Soldo reckons he will be a coach when he finishes playing.
Andrew McQualter, one of the assistant coaches at Richmond who also played with Prestia briefly at the Suns, had little doubt he would transition to coaching because he is already doing it.
Prestia is one of the conduit players on the ground. He sees problems on the field in real time, and makes changes he knows the coaches will want before messages are sent.
“His ability to see the game is incredible. Him, Shane Edwards and Kane Lambert are the smartest players I have seen. He helps the group understand what it is we are doing,” McQualter said.

“But if we ever do anything at training that he thinks doesn’t relate to the game, he pulls us up straight away. He gets grumpy. You get ‘Grumpy Dion’ and ‘Happy Dion’ and if we have ‘Happy Dion’, we are all happy.”

His football intelligence was one of the reasons that Tigers coach Damien Hardwick re-deployed him from the midfield last week into the forward line with a very simple instruction: you will work it out.
“I was actually pretty lucky, ‘Dimma’ kind of gave me a blank canvas and said ‘You’re smart enough to know the role, see how you play that role’,” Prestia said.
It worked out OK. Prestia kicked three goals in minutes and turned the game.

“The first one was like, ‘finally, I’ve kicked a goal this year’. And then I think by the end of it we were all like half laughing at it because it’s such a rare thing for someone to do let alone a midfielder who isn’t known for kicking goals.
“I did say to them [the other forwards]: ‘It’s not that hard’.”
Surprisingly, he ran further and at a high pace for longer than he did as a midfielder. But he didn’t get knocked around in packs quite the same way.
Managing his body has been an ongoing thing. The frustration for Richmond fans, as much as for Prestia, is how noticeable it is when he isn’t there. He is a talismanic player.
“The way I play probably exposes me more to injury issues. Being more explosive and things like that it’s accepting that injuries are a part of the game,” he said.

“I haven’t had anything with my knees since I’ve been at Richmond. Touch wood, the body is in good shape. That’s why I feel like I’ve still got a fair bit of footy left in me.”
After 200 games, the former Sun is still rising.

Doesn't hold any grudges better man than me. And Dimma saying don't boo Stewart show him some respect, great coach Dimma don't get me wrong, but sometimes he talks *smile*. Why would you respect a bloke who knocked out a player in your team? Weird.

Last edited:

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Part of it I think was because he became a sniper / carelessly clumsy or always was. I watched the documentary on him and this doesn’t get Mentioned at all.

I found it hard to find but the commentary in the clip is interesting.

To be fair though we have to compare against other snipers and did they get booed. I think the answer is yes and we will see Stewart get the boos tonight for his dog act last year. And it may be for the rest of his career. Fans have long memories.

Still however have to think part of it (Goodes) was racist and/or tribal.

I don’t know what the expectations are but what I heard from Eddie betts was you basically can’t boo anyone aboriginal if they take it as racial. Im not sure if say Eddie did what Stewart did (he wouldn’t) then would it be ok to boo or not.

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
Congrats on 200 meatball. You’ve brought so much happiness to the supporters since arriving. Thanks and have a great night seeking revenge on the cats and celebrating the milestone.

• Love