Punt Rd Development | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Punt Rd Development

Go ahead with development or postpone with more member input until finances stabilise

• Total voters

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I must admit, I've been slightly troubled by this ever since it was originally mooted.

Some of the claimed 'reasons' for the demolition, such as being able to increase the size of the ground to MCG dimensions, are spurious. Firstly, is it essential for the ground to be MCG dimensions? Of course not. In any event, there are other corners of the ground that can be pushed out if this is such an important matter.

About 20 years ago, I worked in Albert Road, opposite the old Lakeside Oval. Seeing what had happened to that once magnificent grandstand facing the carpark was saddening. At the time, I was living in Clifton Hill and decided to contact the City of Yarra to get access to Victoria Park, which was in a similar state of disrepair. I was lucky enough to spend a day there, photographing what was left before its recent soulless renovation.

These buildings are monuments to our game's history and, in my view, you need a bloody good reason to pull them down.

I was able to tour the Jack Dyer Stand about a decade ago when on a photographic assignment and, I admit, it's a patchwork quilt of renovations, repairs and add-ons. But I reckon that $30m grant offered up by the state government would comfortably transform the old place into something modern and marvellous.

I'm glad to see resistance to the demolition. At the very least, it will ensure a proper process is followed before yet another of our great VFL grandstands bites the dust.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
A mate posted me a similar article, not sure what journal it was from (SMH?). An interesting contrast is the style of sub-editing in this one. Work-experience kid put in charge?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
No doubt. I wonder how much it will cost us to move Brunton Ave, Punt Rd and the train lines & station out 50m.
Shouldn't be a problem. ... Give Dan Andrews a pen as he's convalescing in bed. He torched $1100million to not build something so surely anything south of that would be acceptable

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Agree.

Old doesn't mean significant. Sometimes old is just old.

I've spent a lot of time at PRO over the last decade or so, both sitting in and looking at the Jack Dyer stand.

It's ugly. Uncomfortable. Too small. And that's even before you consider the state of disrepair.

Agree, the only thing that makes The Jack Dyer Stand of any significance is the history of The Richmond Football Club not the decrepit old stand itself.
By all means heritage list the RFC but that stand has to go.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Where were these one or two conservationists as the stand rotted away over the last 50 years and had any amount of additions, changes, and crappy renovations done to it ?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I agree that if it's the stand or Richmond FC leaving PRE, Richmond leaving it as a training base is worse.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
I was discussing this some time ago with a Heritage Vic decision-maker (e.g. new Flemington members stand) and he doubted Punt Rd was something they would stand in the way on architectural grounds - it's not unique in that regard.

I like that the new ground will be MCG-sized. The Cats should have thought about doing that when they redeveloped their Auskick ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
If the Stand stays we may have to do what Hawthorn has done and find some land to build a new ground big enough for all our teams

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I love old buildings, however what an opportunity to make a fantastic money making modern facility right in the heart of Melbourne, a lot of great structures around the world would have never been built if we always worried about the heritage of the facility, I.e Yankee Stadium :cool:

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
A mate posted me a similar article, not sure what journal it was from (SMH?). An interesting contrast is the style of sub-editing in this one. Work-experience kid put in charge?

Top notch plagiarism. Cut and paste random words into an existing article and hit publish.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Here's a lovely article that includes a history of the Punt Road grandstand.

Worth a read, especially for those who are ambivalent about what the building means to generations of us Tiger families.

Some great old photos, too. Scroll down for more at other grounds.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
As a footy club we basically doubled in size overnight with the introduction of the AFLW teams. We have outgrown the current facilities at PRO.
The JD stand should be demolished but I'm all for keeping the stand if someone comes up with a more creative solution to house the administration side of the club's business (& yet still keep it in the PRO proximity).

I look at what is being planned for the redevelopment of the GABBA with the Olympics & think that the State Government & Richmond should be looking big picture for the redevelopment of the entire Richmond station Precinct.

Think outside the square..
Imagine if Brunton avenue & part of Punt Road was completely enclosed by a tunnel right through to the MCG? Where pedestrians could walk safely through cafes, office blocks/apartments & cafes/bars(or Grandstands) on top of it.

Have a bit of vision for the hub of the number one sporting district in the country..

Or they could just knock the old stand down which would be a bit cheaper..:mhihi

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Is there a chance that MRC Members get a vote on the size, shape and number of windows in the new building?

• Haha

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
We don't even get the things the MRC is supposed to get you.
We get a Grand Final guarantee. That's the only reason I signed up back in the foundation year. It's paid itself off a few times over as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: 3 users