Punt Rd Development | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Punt Rd Development

Go ahead with development or postpone with more member input until finances stabilise

• Total voters

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Knock it down. Admit it has some significance but it is a dump.

Reactions: 2 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
We get a Grand Final guarantee. That's the only reason I signed up back in the foundation year. It's paid itself off a few times over as far as I'm concerned.
Except last year. We get a too bad so sad.

This year we get "We can't be stuffed opening the function room cause.... Covid... Probably."

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
My feelings, if it’s old pull it down. Old things including people have no use in our modern world.

Reactions: 1 user

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
It's tough, because the location is less than ideal for development and we really have to make do with what we have space-wise.

I lean towards if it prevents further development (and with AFLW, Houli's foundation and Korin Gamadji Institute) which we need, pull it down and erect a statue for the great man.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I admit, it's a patchwork quilt of renovations, repairs and add-ons.
So it's in actual fact just a crappy, beat up old pile of rejigged rubbish.

Might have to sneak a loan of a *smile* big dozer from work n scare the *smile* out of the Punt rd. traffic one weekend. See if anything remains standing if it receives a little tap or two :)) :))

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
two wrongs don't make a right. I don't remember the old Southern Stand being much to look at to be honest
The signs left over from WW2 army occupation were still on some walls into the 70s. Top deck first dozen rows Was agreat place to watch from.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
two wrongs don't make a right. I don't remember the old Southern Stand being much to look at to be honest

Huh, a beautiful old stand and with a huge capacity without having to go too close to the Sun. A lovely piece of functionalist architecture.

How could you not love this:

MCG Southern Stand.jpg

I remember many a game back in the day sitting in the top deck behind the Punt Rd goals near the cheer squad who were up on the first level back then (Melbourne cheer squad were on the wing opposite the members on the top deck too in those days)

Such a clean stand, and, with backs on the seats and shelter from the rain. What more could you want?

DS

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Except last year. We get a too bad so sad.

This year we get "We can't be stuffed opening the function room cause.... Covid... Probably."
Yeah, blame the club for the COVID Pandemic, Peggy really should have kept it under control

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
That low metallic roof really amplified the crowd noise. The atmosphere was electric even with half the crowds.

But don't get stuck behind those pillars!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Agree 100% Tempany. Coming back to Melbourne from a few years OS I love the beautiful Victorian and other period architecture and appreciate it like I never did before. Other cities are knocking it all down, compare Melbourne to Sydney and you'll notice the difference. It's a beautiful grandstand and should be preserved.

Not everything the club does is right, and this is one thing they've got badly wrong IMO.

Have to disagree, not a beautiful old stand at all. A fairly ugly, many times modified and extended, falling down decrepit old stand.

The old stand at Brunswick St is beautiful, the old stand at Princes Park is beautiful (but also falling down), the stand at Punt Rd ain't.

DS

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The signs left over from WW2 army occupation were still on some walls into the 70s. Top deck first dozen rows Was agreat place to watch from.

Yeah, I had some good times there too but that southern stand was brutalist architecture ave not in a good way.

Anyhow I concede that keeping the club at PR is non-negotiable. Keepingb the grandstand serves no purpose if no one uses it.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Huh, a beautiful old stand and with a huge capacity without having to go too close to the Sun. A lovely piece of functionalist architecture.

How could you not love this:

View attachment 11971

I remember many a game back in the day sitting in the top deck behind the Punt Rd goals near the cheer squad who were up on the first level back then (Melbourne cheer squad were on the wing opposite the members on the top deck too in those days)

Such a clean stand, and, with backs on the seats and shelter from the rain. What more could you want?

DS
Good photo.