Punt Road End - Player of the Year 2010 - Suggestions? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Punt Road End - Player of the Year 2010 - Suggestions?

Panthera tigris FC

Full Blown Chimp Crush
Oct 28, 2004
Torquay
Hello all,

With Season 2010 upon us, I would like to field any suggestions before the launch of the 2010 PRE Player of the Year polls on Thursday night. If everyone is happy with the voting system as it has run for the past few seasons, I am happy to run it as before. However, if anyone can think of any ways to improve the voting system I am happy to look at it.

Looking forward to an exciting 2010, free of the expectations that dogged us in 2009.

Also looking forward to see who will step up and make their mark in the 2010 polls!

PTFC.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Hard to beat perfection so I'm personally more than happy to continue the way it's been done previously. The attention to detail provides a comprehensive reference to look back on in years to come.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
My only criticism of that award has been that the early rounds generally attract a heap more votes than the later rounds which skews the result.
However you have the got around that by including the normalised score votes which I think is a more accurate reflection.

Your work is flawless and a PRE highlight.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Various things can skew the results. More people voting after a win than a loss for example. Also popularity of certain players compared to being whipping boys. Some have wanted to get rid of the traditional 3-2-1 system we've always used too but overall we're usually pretty accurate compared to the official results each year.

Panthera tigris FC

Full Blown Chimp Crush
Oct 28, 2004
Torquay
rosy23 said:
Various things can skew the results. More people voting after a win than a loss for example. Also popularity of certain players compared to being whipping boys. Some have wanted to get rid of the traditional 3-2-1 system we've always used too but overall we're usually pretty accurate compared to the official results each year.

Yep, that certainly happens. As does the end of season 'tail-off' (especially given our poor recent finishes). Another source of skew is the massive difference in voter turn out for a win. You are much better off to play well in a winning team than a losing one! Although it is unofficial, the normalised score that TOO refers does control for the voter turn out variable, although there is no compensating for the 'whipping boys bias' that you refer to!

Thanks for the positive feedback. Better start preparing the database!