PVRs? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

PVRs?

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
Wildride said:
I have the Fetch TV through Optus, love the functionality - pausing live tv is great, as the large storage. It even has team tags for the footy, so I set it up to record all Richmond games automatically. We use it exclusively, and it has the built in Netflix, Stan, youtube apps as well as all the catch up channels.

The only downside was that I did have two previous gen boxes die on me though while attempting software updates, resulting in complete losses of all recordings and replacements. So far the new generation machine hasn't had any problems though.

TIVO is closing down in Australia, but is giving some cash back if we trade in for a Fetch. I've seen some bad reviews for Fetch tho. Having to reboot daily, non-functioning units needing replacement. I gather you're pretty happy with yours? We need to take the offer before the end of October.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Tigers of Old said:
Did you hear Malcolm Turnbull today re the failure of the NBN? What a freaking peanut he is.

This is what you can get with FTTH. Download is a bit slow due to other downloads I had at the time. Normally download and upload are about the same.

Attachments

• IMG-20171018-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20171018-WA0018.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 11

Wildride

Tiger Superstar
Sep 6, 2006
Brisbane
Azza said:
TIVO is closing down in Australia, but is giving some cash back if we trade in for a Fetch. I've seen some bad reviews for Fetch tho. Having to reboot daily, non-functioning units needing replacement. I gather you're pretty happy with yours? We need to take the offer before the end of October.
I have had to return two of the old generation Fetches, both having the same problem of not reading the hard disk after a software update. However, the new generation one so far has performed much better. I certainly don't need to reboot every day - maybe once a fortnight it might need one, but that's as frequent as it gets. We also use it a lot, with a 2 year old and a 5 month old we're up a lot over night watching shows on netflix while settling the baby and using the catchup tv during the day for the toddler.

I would definitely recommend the new generation fetch, I really love it!

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
Thanks Wildride. I think we'll bite the bullet. It's pretty tough giving up the TIVO, but at least Fetch makes accessing netflix etc easier.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Baloo said:
This is what you can get with FTTH. Download is a bit slow due to other downloads I had at the time. Normally download and upload are about the same.

That is eye watering. What does that cost you per month? I pay $69 p/m for 25/5mbps at the moment.

I was getting 3mbps before the NBN last year to use between a family of 5.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Tigertool said:
That is eye watering. What does that cost you per month? I pay $69 p/m for 25/5mbps at the moment.

I was getting 3mbps before the NBN last year to use between a family of 5.

About AUD35 a month.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Tigers of Old said:
Did you hear Malcolm Turnbull today re the failure of the NBN? What a freaking peanut he is.

It was grossly under-budgeted to begin with if they need to tax all internet users to complete implementation of a watered-down service. I don't have it in my area yet and will say no unless they can guarantee in writing that the speed provided will be at or above my current 37 Mb/s.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Why don’t the ISP’s roll it out and then recoup the money as part of their packages?

User pays.

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
It was grossly under-budgeted to begin with if they need to tax all internet users to complete implementation of a watered-down service. I don't have it in my area yet and will say no unless they can guarantee in writing that the speed provided will be at or above my current 37 Mb/s.

I don't think you'll have the option of saying no will you? The copper to the node wont be maintained. Probably ripped up and recycled.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Azza said:
I don't think you'll have the option of saying no will you? The copper to the node wont be maintained. Probably ripped up and recycled.

I've got cable at the moment. Not really sure how it works, but was under the impression that they knock on your door and ask if you want it.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
So after biting the bullet I'm really impressed by the Fetch Mighty Box. It's an absolute dream in terms of UI by comparison to my previous hotspotch of Apple TV, Foxtel, & my Samsung hub. So good having everything talking to each other in one easy to understand format.
Seeya later Foxtel. You crappy dinosaur.

Wildride said:
I have had to return two of the old generation Fetches, both having the same problem of not reading the hard disk after a software update. However, the new generation one so far has performed much better. I certainly don't need to reboot every day - maybe once a fortnight it might need one, but that's as frequent as it gets. We also use it a lot, with a 2 year old and a 5 month old we're up a lot over night watching shows on netflix while settling the baby and using the catchup tv during the day for the toddler.

I would definitely recommend the new generation fetch, I really love it!

Great info thanks Wildride. :D

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Tigers of Old said:
So after biting the bullet I'm really impressed by the Fetch Mighty Box. It's an absolute dream in terms of UI by comparison to my previous hotspotch of Apple TV, Foxtel, & my Samsung hub. So good having everything talking to each other in one easy to understand format.
Seeya later Foxtel. You crappy dinosaur.

Great info thanks Wildride. :D
What’s upside of Fetch ToO? I haven’t paid a lot attention to their ads but it looked like just a central suppository :) for Freeview and pay TV movies?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
tigertim said:
What’s upside of Fetch ToO? I haven’t paid a lot attention to their ads but it looked like just a central suppository :) for Freeview and pay TV movies?

Bare in mind I've only had it a couple of days but so far I really like it tim.

Firstly it pretty much does everything the Foxtel IQ Box does. Can link program recordings, rewind live TV etc. Also has nearly 1T of storage. You'd expect this as staple from a PVR.

But it's real strength that I can see is it offers a lot more convenience in terms of it's format.
It has very well organised drop down menus to make finding any TV sources you want easy to find.
It's a delight compared to Foxtel's needle in a haystack format when combined with Apple TV.

Can easily access every available channel on FTA simply in one convenient menu.
From another you can access Tenplay, iView, SBS on demand etc.
From another menu can access Stan, Netflix, Youtube aps.
From another menu can buy new release movies or order TV series like Game of Thrones etc.

Also replaces the need for the clunky Apple TV as there aren't a million aps on it that I'll never use.
Basically its a very streamlined system that even a tech illiterate person can use (ie my wife).

This is a good review.
https://www.goodgearguide.com.au/review/fetch_tv/mighty/608390/

Clearly Fetch doesn't have as many TV shows as Foxtel as it's primarily designed as a FTA product however I barely watched any of the crap on Fox anyway so won't miss that.

Biggest absence will obviously be Fox Footy but I'll replace that with the AFL Live Pass & that will save plenty of $.
I have an RFC membership so couldn't justify that plus Foxtel just for a few games of Live Footy that won't be live on FTA.
Obviously some of the live games I'll miss will be of lower resolution but all games are available to watch in higher def 12 hrs after the game.

I don't think I will look back.