QANTAS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

QANTAS

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I'm not having a great run atm with Qantas and Jetstar.

Aug 10 2018: Jetstar flight to gold coast delayed by 4 hours.

Nov 25 2018: Jetstar flight home from Sydney Cancelled and had to fly home the next day. $200 voucher offered as compensation. $100 voucher received.

April 20 2019: 11:05am Flight home from Adelaide cancelled and I'm put on the 5:50pm flight (meaning i miss the sydney game). i have managed to change to the 2:05pm flight (why didn't they offer this to begin with?).

June 2019: I paid $35 each way to get seats right up the front of economy (and on the aisle) for my return Qantas flights to Hawaii. As I am flying to Hawaii via Sydney, I decided to log on to the Qantas site to add seats for my domestic flights (which is free). i then found out they have moved me 18 rows back and in a non-aisle seat for the Hawaii flights. I have not received any notification of this.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Ian4 said:
I'm not having a great run atm with Qantas and Jetstar.

Aug 10 2018: Jetstar flight to gold coast delayed by 4 hours.

Nov 25 2018: Jetstar flight home from Sydney Cancelled and had to fly home the next day. $200 voucher offered as compensation. $100 voucher received.

April 20 2019: 11:05am Flight home from Adelaide cancelled and I'm put on the 5:50pm flight (meaning i miss the sydney game). i have managed to change to the 2:05pm flight (why didn't they offer this to begin with?).

June 2019: I paid $35 each way to get seats right up the front of economy (and on the aisle) for my return Qantas flights to Hawaii. As I am flying to Hawaii via Sydney, I decided to log on to the Qantas site to add seats for my domestic flights (which is free). i then found out they have moved me 18 rows back and in a non-aisle seat for the Hawaii flights. I have not received any notification of this.

The only advice I can give is, never, ever fly Jetstar, they're worse than Tiger Airways, and that's saying something.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
tigerman said:
The only advice I can give is, never, ever fly Jetstar, they're worse than Tiger Airways, and that's saying something.
I’d take Jetstar before Tiger.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
tigertim said:

I have flown once with both airlines Jetstar was delayed on both in and out bound legs, i must say i didn't enjoy Tiger but at least they were on time.

E

easy_tiger

tigertim said:

I'll buy a Sydney jumper with Daniel Menzel's number on the back and wear it to The London Tavern with no pants on before I'd fly Tiger again.

they have thrown my life into complete disarray me all three times ive flown with them.

the only time they were almost accidentally good, was when they nearly made me miss this years preliminary.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
tigertim said:

Yeah I think Jetstar has improved a little bit from my experience - they seem to have more planes in the air these days which should help / minimise their cancellations.

Tiger is stil hit and miss.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
easy said:
I'll buy a Sydney jumper with Daniel Menzel's number on the back and wear it to The London Tavern with no pants on before I'd fly Tiger again.

they have thrown my life into complete disarray me all three times ive flown with them.

the only time they were almost accidentally good, was when they nearly made me miss this years preliminary.

Leysy laughed.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Are Qantas aware of the brand image that defending the indefensible is going to do to them?

They are claiming that you don't buy a ticket to a specific flight, but a right to a flight and they will endeavour to get you there on time. Whether they can get away with that in a court of law is 1 thing, but the brand image that will do to them even more so than what has currently happened is massive and will weigh much more heavily thany any fine on them. This defence is clearly thought up by their legal teams, and hasn't been passed by their marketing teams.

I already actively try to avoid Qantas / Jetstar flights and will always book Virgin unless there are literally no flights in the time vicinity that I am looking for.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Are Qantas aware of the brand image that defending the indefensible is going to do to them?

They are claiming that you don't buy a ticket to a specific flight, but a right to a flight and they will endeavour to get you there on time. Whether they can get away with that in a court of law is 1 thing, but the brand image that will do to them even more so than what has currently happened is massive and will weigh much more heavily thany any fine on them. This defence is clearly thought up by their legal teams, and hasn't been passed by their marketing teams.

I already actively try to avoid Qantas / Jetstar flights and will always book Virgin unless there are literally no flights in the time vicinity that I am looking for.
When I first read about that a few weeks ago I just shook my head and laughed. I’m not a legal expert by any stretch but to me, if you sell a product that you know doesn’t exist, isn’t that fraud? I can understand if flights are cancelled after they are sold (for a variety of reasons) but to sell a product after it’s cancelled isn’t on.
I’m in a dilemma. I have heaps of frequent flyer points with qantas, built up through cards etc. Haven’t flown overseas in over 10 years and am planning a trip next year hopefully. I’m hesitant about using the points, or even paying for a flight with qantas, as I’ve read where using points you are basically just gambling that you will get away when you plan to. I’m thinking of going with another airline and waiting, and hoping, that qantas eventually get their *smile* together, and flying with them in future. That shifty little leprechaun really *smile* up a once great company ( along with that *smile* goyder)

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
When I first read about that a few weeks ago I just shook my head and laughed. I’m not a legal expert by any stretch but to me, if you sell a product that you know doesn’t exist, isn’t that fraud? I can understand if flights are cancelled after they are sold (for a variety of reasons) but to sell a product after it’s cancelled isn’t on.
I’m in a dilemma. I have heaps of frequent flyer points with qantas, built up through cards etc. Haven’t flown overseas in over 10 years and am planning a trip next year hopefully. I’m hesitant about using the points, or even paying for a flight with qantas, as I’ve read where using points you are basically just gambling that you will get away when you plan to. I’m thinking of going with another airline and waiting, and hoping, that qantas eventually get their *smile* together, and flying with them in future. That shifty little leprechaun really *smile* up a once great company ( along with that *smile* goyder)

I mentioned this awhile back on the travel/overseas board, but Qantas changed my departure city from San Fran to LA last year without offering a connecting flight inbetween because they had no "classic rewards" (frequent flyer point-based) flight options. Eventually sorted it out but only after I called them 6 weeks later to ask again. That certainly jaded me towards them.

I have a funny story on qantas points though...A friend of mine is a bit of a tech wiz and worked out that Qantas had seriously under quoted the number of FF points they were offering for the latest Mac book pros on their online store. He uses a algorithm to scrape the site data and compares the points versus what the points are worth in $ and does this regularly. The Mac books retail for about $3500 and were being sold for about $1000 worth of FF points each. He had enough points to buy 4 of them and submitted an order.

The next day Qantas called and explained there had been a mistake, apologised and offered 2000 points as an apology for having to cancel the order, and refunded all the points he'd used on the purchase.

A week later, 3 x Mac book pros arrived at his door. It appears they'd cancelled the 1st order but the remaining 3 macbooks were still delivered. So he received 3 FREE macbook pros, plus the extra 2000 points as an apology. No follow up from Qantas.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I mentioned this awhile back on the travel/overseas board, but Qantas changed my departure city from San Fran to LA last year without offering a connecting flight inbetween because they had no "classic rewards" (frequent flyer point-based) flight options. Eventually sorted it out but only after I called them 6 weeks later to ask again. That certainly jaded me towards them.

I have a funny story on qantas points though...A friend of mine is a bit of a tech wiz and worked out that Qantas had seriously under quoted the number of FF points they were offering for the latest Mac book pros on their online store. He uses a algorithm to scrape the site data and compares the points versus what the points are worth in $ and does this regularly. The Mac books retail for about $3500 and were being sold for about $1000 worth of FF points each. He had enough points to buy 4 of them and submitted an order.

The next day Qantas called and explained there had been a mistake, apologised and offered 2000 points as an apology for having to cancel the order, and refunded all the points he'd used on the purchase.

A week later, 3 x Mac book pros arrived at his door. It appears they'd cancelled the 1st order but the remaining 3 macbooks were still delivered. So he received 3 FREE macbook pros, plus the extra 2000 points as an apology. No follow up from Qantas.
Best story of the year. Their contempt and incompetence ricocheted on them. Beautiful.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

They don’t get it

The board are in denial, protecting their own jobs. Goyder , give me a break, you only need to look at his background as well as his role at the AFL to know he has no idea about customer service. Todd Sampson is a snake oil salesman like most advertising “gurus”. He will believe the brand can be rebuilt with marketing but the reality is that the only way they can do it is to actually serve their customers!

The new CEO was CFO under Alan Joyce, do we think she had no role in the cost saving measures that were the catalyst to the brand’s demise?

They need a complete clean out, a shareholder revolt. They nearly got one but managed to survive it.

I have a family member who is middle management in Qantas. The way they treat their employees is really poor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

That is brilliant. He would have been grinning like a shot fox.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Bring back the Wright brothers. Qantas can get *smile*
Hear hear Willos ! You’ll be able to wear cool goggles too and give back seat driver instructions. “Watch out for that seagull dhead !”

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Good to see these aholes claiming they need to raise the price of their flights even higher. Despite the drop in oil prices the last 12 months.

The government needs to take back control of Qantas. *** the management and board of this company. Just buy up the stock.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users