QF Game Day - Richmond vs Brisbane Lions | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

QF Game Day - Richmond vs Brisbane Lions

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Anyone concerned about the number of marks taken in the 50 by the lions. They had 5-6 very gettable shots that any other team on the day could have slotted. Give those shots to the Weagles and we are in trouble

Plenty of things that Hardwick wouldn't have been happy with. They outplayed us for half the game. If West Coast or GWS do that, we might not get back.

For all the talk of where Brisbane could've done better (which is valid), we can also do better.

But nobody was giving us any outs after the 2013-15 finals or saying things looked promising for the future.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Anyone concerned about the number of marks taken in the 50 by the lions. They had 5-6 very gettable shots that any other team on the day could have slotted. Give those shots to the Weagles and we are in trouble

Nothing a little tweaking wouldn't fix. Brisbane are the top team in the competition for rebounding out wide to the flanks. They don't take a lot of risks. We knew that so protected the corridor. It let them get marks on tighter angles and a bit further out. It is interesting that in the Round 23 game we had 16 inside 50 marks to their 8 yet in this game they had 13 to our 7. Totally flipped yet on both occasions we won comfortably. The key to beating us is preventing our quick forward handball game. That's really the only thing that can stop us. Collingwood worked out a plan in 2018 that worked but we've tweaked since then and no opposition seems to have found an answer. The hallmark of 2017 we seemed to be able to absorb the first half pressure thrown at us and grind the opposition until they cave in. This is exactly what happened again.

Reactions: 1 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004

That's the one worry for leysy. West Coast are the one team left that have the ability to hurt us where suspectible i.e. multiple quality tall forwards.

Hope Geelong knock them out this week.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
That's the one worry for leysy. West Coast are the one team left that have the ability to hurt us where suspectible i.e. multiple quality tall forwards.

Hope Geelong knock them out this week.
Yes and yes. We are playing short in defence (and Short in the backline :p ). West Coast can exploit. I think Broad can cover Allen and Vlastuin Waterman, but Floss got outmarked a few times on Saturday when punching would have been the better part of valor. If Hickey/NicNat drifts forward, and/or Darling or Kennedy get on top of Grimes/Astbury, we could be in trouble. And then there's the smalls - Ryan at least is fantastic overhead - none of our small defenders are.

Reactions: 1 user

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Yep - All true mate. They have the ability to make all our defence individually accountable as well. That's a big concern with Shorty playing.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
For West Coast to exploit they'll need to get far more than the 44 inside 50s they managed against us last time. They kicked very straight that game 13-4. They definitely match up well against us and it will be a tough game if they're the ones we play in the prelim (likely imo). Grand final winner likely comes from that game.

agincourt

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 4, 2004
I heard Bartel the other day speak about our game. Basically saying to the people who think we were lucky to be accurate and Brisbane unlucky are wrong. Richmond made their shots easy by good entry and Brisbane were forced wide by our set up.
It's weird.

The commentary during the game mentioned several times that we were trying to go through the corridor whereas Bris were going wide most of the time.......yet they all seem to have forgotten it after the fact.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
It's weird.

The commentary during the game mentioned several times that we were trying to go through the corridor whereas Bris were going wide most of the time.......yet they all seem to have forgotten it after the fact.

Brisbane game plan is to go down the boundary line.
That's way the kick it out on the full so many times.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
For West Coast to exploit they'll need to get far more than the 44 inside 50s they managed against us last time. They kicked very straight that game 13-4. They definitely match up well against us and it will be a tough game if they're the ones we play in the prelim (likely imo). Grand final winner likely comes from that game.

The biggest factor in a potential Tigers v Eagles Prelim will be the 90,000 screaming Richmond fans.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I was wondering how Jono Brown and Healey would spin a 47point loss to their favourite team...

As their co host Paul Roos would say ..... Here it is!

Bloody lot closer than I thought. ... we just got in by 3 points. .... ffs will we ever get any credit?

View attachment 8942
So even allowing for that Brisbane could have scored more and got to 94 (in order to do that they'd have needed a much better conversion from outside 40m), where would we lose our points from. Bar Jack and Caddys goals from on or outside 50, what other shots were taken outside 30m at goal? In order to only score 97, our 18.4 would have to change to 15.7. So having said that, both of those goals would need to be misses, plus another one. Bearing in mind its hard to miss from on the line or 15m out and we already missed 2 from close in (Cotch and Rioli) I'd be surprised that anyone would say our score should have dropped to 97.

If we got that many shots at goal from so close again, I'd be expecting similar.

How many of their shots from closer into goal were actually set shots? I remember 2 in particular that were poor misses (McStay and McInerney both in the 2nd quarter) but other than that they were snaps or under pressure, or from way out. I reckon this is another pumped up stat that means absolutely stuff all anyway

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Hi TF, were you up there ?, I was & t was blowing a gale outside the ground, not sure what it was doing on the ground
I'll never be in Qld Taz. Just by watching on TV, we kicked 18.4 and couldn't see us having a problem with wind.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I don't this constant argument that Lions are wining key stats thus it bodes well for future matches. Surely the argument is that if Richmond improve on some of those stats we will win by even more.
Exactly. For nigh on 3 years now we have been a statistical anomaly. Before the game the commentators were raving on about finals being won by contested ball. You sure guys?

I often wonder what sort of winning margins we would have if we started winning contested ball and the free kick count.

The other great thing about the tigers is we basically play the same way all the time. Yet no team has been able to combat it when it counts. (I don't incl the 18 prelim because our talisman was knobbled and half the side crook).

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
This stuff must be doing a lot of heads in.

We routinely lose contested possession, uncontested possession, free kicks, marks, kicks, handballs, hit outs, clearances, inside 50s etc etc every week. We rarely have anyone who collects over 30 touches in a game. Often, the top 4or 5 possession winners play for whichever team we have just beaten by 4-8 goals. We don't care if we approach goal with clean, crisp disposal or with dirty anything goes disposal. We don't handball backwards and sideways like everyone else.

Not only that, but we have been doing this for three years now.

During this period we have won roughly 75% of games. BTW, our percentage over the last ten games is now 157.5%.

Its like all we do is break all the rules of the modern game and still win.

How can this be????????

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Perhaps when games are deiced by supercoach points, opposition coaches will be justified in quoting statistical dominance?

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Its like all we do is break all the rules of the modern game and still win.

How can this be????????
Dodgy Dimma voodoo. See ball, play ball. None of this faffin around in circles n havin hundreds of precise little ineffective possessions.