QF Game Day - Richmond vs Brisbane Lions | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

QF Game Day - Richmond vs Brisbane Lions

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
This stuff must be doing a lot of heads in.

We routinely lose contested possession, uncontested possession, free kicks, marks, kicks, handballs, hit outs, clearances, inside 50s etc etc every week. We rarely have anyone who collects over 30 touches in a game. Often, the top 4or 5 possession winners play for whichever team we have just beaten by 4-8 goals. We don't care if we approach goal with clean, crisp disposal or with dirty anything goes disposal. We don't handball backwards and sideways like everyone else.

Not only that, but we have been doing this for three years now.

During this period we have won roughly 75% of games. BTW, our percentage over the last ten games is now 157.5%.

Its like all we do is break all the rules of the modern game and still win.

How can this be????????
It is statistical bliss. :banana

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

How can this be????????

When i was analysing the brisbane form,

I rated us as near certainties

Because we had better players than them in almost every position.

The only way i can explain the stats incongruity,

Is that we toy with teams, a bit like a piñata of orcas with a seal.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

TigerBalm

On Victory we thrive... Just Eat Em Alive !
May 14, 2011
This stuff must be doing a lot of heads in.

We routinely lose contested possession, uncontested possession, free kicks, marks, kicks, handballs, hit outs, clearances, inside 50s etc etc every week. We rarely have anyone who collects over 30 touches in a game. Often, the top 4or 5 possession winners play for whichever team we have just beaten by 4-8 goals. We don't care if we approach goal with clean, crisp disposal or with dirty anything goes disposal. We don't handball backwards and sideways like everyone else.

Not only that, but we have been doing this for three years now.

During this period we have won roughly 75% of games. BTW, our percentage over the last ten games is now 157.5%.

How can this be????????
A Champion Team will always defeat a team of champions.

A Champion team will always debunk a champion data.

We are a "Champion Team".

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Fagan wants a rematch
he has approached the AFL and wants us to play them in the Amazon.
""the conditions will hopefully suits us"fagan

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Brings back the good ol' days when we were universally hounded for being so *smile* good!

Embrace it folks, laugh back at them, its awesome!!!

Tails

Still Chasing Dreams
Mar 10, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I have to laugh everytime a coach says we'll learn from the first time we played them, we didn't do a lot wrong and won most of the key indicators. This is code for we don't know how to combat them and they won't learn anything themselves.
As long as we have the oppo thinking this way we are morals, West Coast will have to play twice on a Friday night at the MCG to make the Grand Final and they have to go through us. That means that Collingwood remains the team we most have to contend with and they are wounded and vulnerable in a GF.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I have to laugh everytime a coach says we'll learn from the first time we played them, we didn't do a lot wrong and won most of the key indicators. This is code for we don't know how to combat them and they won't learn anything themselves.

I haven't watched much of Brisbane in the last few years and was intrigued in the lead-up when the commentators said Brisbane likes to play around the boundary. We try to force teams to the boundary anyway, so it's a style that suits us in theory. The sides that trouble us are the ones who look for the risky possession inboard.

Perhaps it's as simple as pushing back deeper to combat sides like Brisbane... and Collingwood.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
We also made a good adjustment with our ball movement, and amazingly the commentators actually notices.
Hodge played a great 1st half, by using his strength- his football brain. he read a lot of our balls that were handballed or kicked blindly forward and intercepted, stopping our smalls from running onto them.
in the 2nd half we created more space by pushing Dusty forward, and used the less short' 'chaos ball'.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
I think all that has happened is that our goal-kicking was very accurate on the weekend and Brisbane's wasn't. All the would-be coaching geniuses in the media now have their own theory on who uses the corridor and who doesn't and why this happened. Most of these theories will be forgotten by the weekend.

Most teams are pretty similar in the way that they approach goal. They all use the boundary when in doubt and they all straighten up if they have reliable forward targets.

This is just this week's nonsense.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
I reckon our method is very different to other sides.
it is. and people, coaches, media et al are still trying to wrap their heads around it. look at Sook Fagans presser - no idea ...
yeah we were more accurate, but our method is off the hook .. that game quickly turned into a quiet slaughter ..

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
I reckon our method is very different to other sides.

I noticed it more closely in the last month Anty, as I was barracking for (inferior) teams to win other games so that we had some breathing space for top 4.

You really notice how many more mistakes other sides make and how inconsistent they are in their ball movement.

Three main differences .

1. We will handball forward rather than back or sidewards ( err duuh ); and

2. When we win the turnover and are on the fly we handball and kick inside rather than outside.

3. We are more aggressive in structure with both one forward deep and one defender deep. It means our half forwards, wingers and half backs must cover a lot of ground. Probably why players like Ellis and Castagna are rated higher by the MC that PRE officionadoes.

Reactions: 4 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Johnno Brown nailed it I reckon. The oppo defence is always in two minds with us. If they defend high and follow us out of the fifty when Jack/Lynch or the smalls lead out, our direct method and pace means we'll get out the back and kick easy goals. If they stay deep our handball and run means we'll spot up easy targets in the fifty for easier shots. Very attacking. Relies on total faith to run forward and total faith in accurate handball forward. The only time teams have troubled us they've shut this down - but they can't do it for a full game.

Reactions: 5 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Johnno Brown nailed it I reckon. The oppo defence is always in two minds with us. If they defend high and follow us out of the fifty when Jack/Lynch or the smalls lead out, our direct method and pace means we'll get out the back and kick easy goals. If they stay deep our handball and run means we'll spot up easy targets in the fifty for easier shots. Very attacking. Relies on total faith to run forward and total faith in accurate handball forward. The only time teams have troubled us they've shut this down - but they can't do it for a full game.

If we were playing chess, very few of our pawns would take single steps initially and we would offer up our queen for theirs, in the knowledge we had way more moves in our rooks, bishops and knights.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
The Jack and Tom Show has straightened us up. West Coast are similar.

Most of the rest don’t have two genuine star key forwards, nor do they have a fleet of skilful small forwards to go with them.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Btw, Dusty and Edwards give us a further dimension which no one else has. Who needs Dangerfield or Fyfe, as good as they are, when they have Dusty?

Edwards’ ability to spot up targets in tight spaces is unprecedented. Maybe Pendlebury gets similar results with a different skill set.

That is our point of difference. Dusty, Jack, Tom, Shedda, Grimes and Rance when fit. That is some serious talent and it makes us close to a complete team.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
If we were playing chess, very few of our pawns would take single steps initially and we would offer up our queen for theirs, in the knowledge we had way more moves in our rooks, bishops and knights.

Superbly put Ezy, couldn't agree more.