Question for Gus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Question for Gus

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Just out of interest Gus, is aussie rules played in Vietnam?
I've read you mention it is on telly there a few times. Is that free to air or pay tv?
Hope you don't mind me asking, I am just curious with how the game is supported in different countries.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Hi Rosie

A few of the expats here have formed a Team in Ho Chi Minh City called the Saigon Saints and they play a few teams from around the Regions such as the Bangkok Tigers. That almost inspired me enough to pull the boots on when I was living in Bangkok, but commonsense prevailed in the end.

As for the TV Coverage we get a channel here called ABC Asia Pacific which is run by the ABC, but have negotiated the rights to telecast AFL in the Region. Last year it was only on, on a Saturday and Sunday, but they have expanded there coverage this year to include the Friday night game, which is shown at 9.00 pm local time. Just about to sit down and watch Adelaide V the Dockers now and will be keeping an eye on Torney to see how he goes.

Funny the guy couldn't get a game a few years ago at the Tiges. Good luck to him he deserves it. Just wish he was still on our list.

We have done a few promotions for the local international school here to try and educate a few of the other nationalities about our great game.

Cheers

Gus

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
gustiger12 said:
Just about to sit down and watch Adelaide V the Dockers now and will be keeping an eye on Torney to see how he goes.

Funny the guy couldn't get a game a few years ago at the Tiges. Good luck to him he deserves it. Just wish he was still on our list.

Jason Torney was just about best on ground against the dockers. Probably played the game of his career thus far. It will be interesting to see how he goes this year, especially in comparison to Kane Johnson. I thought we should have kept Torney and gone for a new kid in the draft rather than going for Johnson. But Johnson has come with a massive reputation and he will hopefully prove worthwhile.