R.I.P. Scott Palmer. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

R.I.P. Scott Palmer.

Bones17

Tiger Rookie
Jul 11, 2010
The Pines
Rhett Bartlett posted on Facebook

RIP Scot Palmer.
A constant in the football landscape.
Always brilliant in his TV segment Palmer's Punchlines.
What an incredible contribution to our great game.
(born and bred in Richmond too!)
There's really only one thing left to say isn't there ....SP1.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The first guy on TV for me who felt like he had his finger on the pulse of football.

Knew everything. In three minutes would deliver the BIG stories so well. Saw him once in his beloved Sorrento, give him the "keep punching Scotty" and he gave a smile and said "Never stop punching." He must have had millions of those interactions, looked like he loved it too.

Reactions: 6 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
I would watch 7s Big League just to hear what news he was breaking.
Keep punching Scotty

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I'm sure there was some media issue as to why they never used him again as the no 1 reporter in the AFL.....which p!ssed me off at the time.

As an adolescent in the early 80s, I loved walking into a newsagency to use the footy excuse as to why I want to have a quick look through The Truth newspaper....:))

Reactions: 4 users

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
I'm sure there was some media issue as to why they never used him again as the no 1 reporter in the AFL.....which p!ssed me off at the time.

As an adolescent in the early 80s, I loved walking into a newsagency to use the footy excuse as to why I want to have a quick look through The Truth newspaper....:))
Any newspaper that Heart and Balm had to be amongst our favorites.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Uses to love his Palmer's Punchlines on the Saturday replay. The only footy news guy I knew back then. Now we have to put up with so many pretenders who could never compare to Scotty, including the grand poobah of pretenders in Blobbo

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Now we have to put up with so many pretenders who could never compare to Scotty, including the grand poobah of pretenders in Blobbo
Yep, the likes of both Tom Browne and Tom Morris couldn't hold a candle to Scotty Palmer.

Keep on punching Scotty.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
A memory from years past when it now seems to me when everything was better.

"Keep Punching" Scotty!!

RIP

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
That's cos Palmer was a real Journo as opposed to a cardboard cut out or sock puppet
My memory is not quite as sharp these days, but was Scotty related to the famous boxing coach Ambrose Palmer? Hence the punchlines.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yep, the likes of both Tom Browne and Tom Morris couldn't hold a candle to Scotty Palmer.

Keep on punching Scotty.
Ain’t that the truth. Todays “jounos” (use that word loosely) and media personalities are a dirty bunch.

Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Scotty was a real showman, and he had genuine passion and respect for the game, something that very few of the current crop have.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
My memory is not quite as sharp these days, but was Scotty related to the famous boxing coach Ambrose Palmer? Hence the punchlines.
Hadn't heard that, he might be and that would explain the "keep on punching".

Ambrose Palmer was the trainer of the great Johhny Famechon.

Reactions: 1 user

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

I think the catch cry was because he was a boxing fan. He may have also covered the sport. Plus Palmer’s Punchlines was wonderfully alliterative.

Last edited:

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne

I don't think they were directly related. Maybe a few generations back.

Ambrose Palmer was also a very good boxer in his own right as well as a very good footballer, he played for Footscray in the then VFL. I can remember my Dad talking about him at times, said he was very tough but fair, in a very tough era of footy.

Reactions: 1 user