R15, 16 Centre bounce attendees - Massacre | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

R15, 16 Centre bounce attendees - Massacre

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Me neither, midfield has gone to *smile* under him.

Short has been the only positive I'd say. How much he had to do with it who knows, but Dimma did say that McQualter was the one who pushed for it.

Reactions: 1 user

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
Cotch and Lambo may go so we do need a seasoned pro mid to come in.
Cotch is putting an OK season together. Lambert was invisible as SUB and is rarely in the centre. Martin. Wow back to his best then injured. . Tim Kelly was the one who killed it. NicNat killed Nank too.
Ross, Short, Baker as centre bounce players were exposed. Prestia back this week is huge. Our backline Broad had leather poisining.
When Edwards/ Lambert retire next year I'd defintely bring in a contested mid.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Cotch is putting an OK season together. Lambert was invisible as SUB and is rarely in the centre. Martin. Wow back to his best then injured. . Tim Kelly was the one who killed it. NicNat killed Nank too.
Ross, Short, Baker as centre bounce players were exposed. Prestia back this week is huge. Our backline Broad had leather poisining.

Yep Tora3, Rosh/Short/Baker have levelled up as mids this year but they still aren't a-grade. As others noted Short/Bakes need to be combined with bigger dudes to take some of the heat.

Backline stood up well all things considered.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Kelly and Shuey had 20 clearances between them. Forget Matt Crouch he isn't in the top 50 clearance players in the league. We need a 21 yo Tom Green who is a clearance gun in a team of clearance guns. Presita goes alright as does Cotch. Of the youngsters the best clearance player is Thomson Dow but he cant find it anywhere else. I have hopes for Sonsie. He is a natural who needs a bit of tutoring.

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
Kelly and Shuey had 20 clearances between them. Forget Matt Crouch he isn't in the top 50 clearance players in the league. We need a 21 yo Tom Green who is a clearance gun in a team of clearance guns. Presita goes alright as does Cotch. Of the youngsters the best clearance player is Thomson Dow but he cant find it anywhere else. I have hopes for Sonsie. He is a natural who needs a bit of tutoring.
Haven't seen as much of the Giants this year in NSW they're on TV every week. Green is going very well. Cotch is our best so if he retires we really need Green
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2022&rt=LT&st=CL

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Remember when Carter made the case for Soldo being our number one ruck? Good times.

• Haha

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Clearance averages are a better indication. Kelly Shuey and Nic Nat are 7 , 12 and 22.

Our best are Cotch and Prestia on 15 and 25 although Prestia has two games in which he was gone in or just after quarter 1 so would other wise be higher . Bolton and Martin are lower because they spend so much time forward.

West Coast have great clearance players. Our best were missing. As Coburg said probably that simple.

Reactions: 3 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
In the West Coast game one of the commentators said we've been the worst team for sticking tackles over the last couple of years.
Another area we certainly need to work on

Reactions: 2 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Names?

Nankervis. Soldo. Ross. Baker. Short. Exposed.

Maybe Graham later and Shai let the ball out too easily. (WCE scored at will.)

Centre Bounce Attendances v Centre Clearances. Looking at opponent clearances.

Fair enough that a fresh Naitanui laid down the law to a shocked Nank. Rucks sometimes do that to him. But Bailey J Williams is a cosmic joke. Running at will through CBs.

Is Martin covering for these myths? Because they looked well below the level after he went off.

Nankervis. Soldo. Ross. Baker. Short. Treated with contempt by opponents. Planned contempt. Two weeks on a row.
It's interesting. We were winning the clearances at half time 23 to 16. Then 9 to 21 after half time. Something changed.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
You would get Crouch for basically nothing anyway. Adelaide don't rate him in the slightest. He is getting 40+ disposals at state League level and can't get a look in.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Remember when Carter made the case for Soldo being our number one ruck? Good times.

He wasn't the only one, I talked Soldo up after 2019 and before his knee injury as well. Shame he's not improving, perhaps its ongoing effects from the knee.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
"Simmo, Dimma. Good. Self? Good stuff. Listen, mate, got a bit of a problem. You saw our game last week? I know. Rhys Stanley. Whatshisname Atkins. I know. Yeah, we'll remember that one. He's okay. Back next week. But bloody hell. If Geelong can kick our heads in for 40 minutes with Stanley and Atkins, what will Melbourne do? Mate, you read my mind. You got NicNat back? He fit? Good, excellent. Kelly? Great. Shuey? Gaff? Good, good. Yeo at half-back? Can you chuck him in the guts for a bit too? Make sure you play Redden. Good, good. And just - yeah, full Melbourne, full ruck dominance, just grab it and run out the front. Yeah I know you don't wanna win - trust me, we can't afford to lose! Haha. Well, why don't you leave out Kennedy? Yeah. Our boys will cope. Taz needs another leather avalanche to get comfy with the system. What's that? Ah, it won't hurt the kid. I'll even start him on Darling. All right, sweet. Mate, you'll be right. Like us in 16. Just find yourself a Prestia. Ha! Yeah, easier said. Yeah! Jackson! Do us all a favour. Orright, seeya Satdy. No, Sunday. Bloody AFL. Good on ya, mate. Cheers."

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
In the West Coast game one of the commentators said we've been the worst team for sticking tackles over the last couple of years.
Another area we certainly need to work on
Tackled oppo sides to a stand still a few years ago, last year n this we've gone backwards in our tackling. Might be time to get that Clangers bloke back for a refresher on MMA type grappling.

TigerWinner

Tiger Rookie
Apr 21, 2022
Tackling is the Number 1 problem.

Can Sonsie provide clearance in the Centre bounces? if so get him in.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
someone has probably mentioned this but our positioning around the middle is at least questionable

i don't know how many times our rucks seem to tap it to the opposition or when the ball bounces loose
we are last to it

is that an instinct issue? or slow reaction times? either way something is skew-iff ..

bozo

Tiger Rookie
Dec 11, 2007
North Carlton
Yep Tora3, Rosh/Short/Baker have levelled up as mids this year but they still aren't a-grade. As others noted Short/Bakes need to be combined with bigger dudes to take some of the heat.

Backline stood up well all things considered.
Yep most of the goals were kicked from outside 50, bypassing the backline

crackertiger

Swan street 2017
Jan 4, 2003
melbourne
someone has probably mentioned this but our positioning around the middle is at least questionable

i don't know how many times our rucks seem to tap it to the opposition or when the ball bounces loose
we are last to it

is that an instinct issue? or slow reaction times? either way something is skew-iff ..
The VFL was exactly the same. The set up and positioning is just all wrong. Plus both AFL and VFL rucks don't have any real synergy with the mids. It's embarrassing to be honest. When we do win a hit out unfortunately it goes down the throat of the opposition mids. It's uncanny.. The midfield coach needs to be reviewed.. We seem stationary and constantly chasing arse at centre square contests.