Racial tolerence

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
What do you think of his statement about “people with blonde hair and blue eyes declaring themselves to be indigenous”?

From memory, the number of people identifying as Aboriginal has roughly doubled since the mid-1990’s, and is nearing one million. It threatens to become a millstone around Australia’s neck.

Not that I necessarily support the policy, but it shouldn’t simply be dismissed as overt racism.
Latham will upset the same people every time. Much like Milo. Doesn't matter much whether or not they are talking smack or sense. Some folk only hear what they wanna and are prejudiced one way or the other.
In regards to Aboriginality and identifying as such, it does pose a question about who we are and want to be in the future. Some think we are thoroughly racist and the worst country in the world, others say we are too generous and let anyone who wishes to get on the welfare train do so. Personally I'm not sure where it takes us.
Like most Aussies I know lots of Aboriginals, unlike most Aussies I also have the pleasure of knowing strong families who in their own words are full bloods. Married into the correct skin groups as their law dictates. Another local and strong Aboriginal family i know has a mother from Victoria, a white European woman, this doesn't make the family any less aboriginal in my eyes. So where does the identifying as such stop? When does it stop? Does it need to stop? Does it matter unless there is something else at play.
Playing devils advocate, would people's identity be an issue if there was no benefit by identifying as any particular one apart from pride and sense of belonging?
Genetic testing isn't the answer, that's my take on it.

antman

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Bali/Jakarta
easy said:
Yeah i overheard 2 ladies in byron talking about the genetic make up of their dogs, which were having coffee with them. One looked 90% labrador and the other 90% poodle. According to them, they were an amazing conglomerate of all exotic breeds - dingo, mongolian bear dog, african american eagle hunter, persian love dog and zulu drummer hound, who had interbred with an amazonian shaman beagle apparently.

Mark Latham is pure mongrel *smile*
I like both parts of this post

E

easy_tiger

HR said:
Latham will upset the same people every time. Much like Milo. Doesn't matter much whether or not they are talking smack or sense. Some folk only hear what they wanna and are prejudiced one way or the other.
In regards to Aboriginality and identifying as such, it does pose a question about who we are and want to be in the future. Some think we are thoroughly racist and the worst country in the world, others say we are too generous and let anyone who wishes to get on the welfare train do so. Personally I'm not sure where it takes us.
Like most Aussies I know lots of Aboriginals, unlike most Aussies I also have the pleasure of knowing strong families who in their own words are full bloods. Married into the correct skin groups as their law dictates. Another local and strong Aboriginal family i know has a mother from Victoria, a white European woman, this doesn't make the family any less aboriginal in my eyes. So where does the identifying as such stop? When does it stop? Does it need to stop? Does it matter unless there is something else at play.
Playing devils advocate, would people's identity be an issue if there was no benefit by identifying as any particular one apart from pride and sense of belonging?
Genetic testing isn't the answer, that's my take on it.
Identity is interesting. I can honestly say though, that i have never, ever contemplated the proportion of aboriginality in any of my aboriginal friends. Never even slightly thought about it. They are just my blackfella friends and family. The notion of full blood is very, very strange to me.

If it wasnt so strange, id identify as a full blood richmond supporter.

Both sets of grand parents, both parents, all siblings.

I cant help but wonder if richmonds membership swells to 250,000, and richmond gave preference to fullbloods,

How many half caste and quarter caste tigers locked out of The G, would feel very alienated and dispirited?

I actually know richmond supporters whose entire families supported collingwood or carlton going back 3 generations.

Yep. Identity is an interesting thing

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
easy said:
Identity is interesting. I can honestly say though, that i have never, ever contemplated the proportion of aboriginality in any of my aboriginal friends. Never even slightly thought about it. They are just my blackfella friends and family. The notion of full blood is very, very strange to me.

I cant help but wonder if richmonds membership swells to 250,000, and richmond gave preference to fullbloods,

How many half caste and quarter caste tigers locked out of The G, would feel very alienated and dispirited?

I actually know richmond supporters whose entire families supported collingwood or carlton going back 3 generations.

Figured as much. So it doesn't matter then?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
easy said:

I'm on board if its means we don't have to go into that ticketek computer nightmare for finals tickets

E

easy_tiger

tigersnake said:
I'm on board if its means we don't have to go into that ticketek computer nightmare for finals tickets
Good point snake. Ive never really trusted those tigers with an essendon parent.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Travis Varcoe speaking out against morons who racially vilify footy players. Good on him. He’s come a long way from the guy who posted these comments 10 years ago.

"White friends are for a while. Black friends are for life,".
“White friends will leave you behind if that's what the crowd is doing. Black friends will kick the whole crowd's ass that left you."

E

easy_tiger

tigertim said:
Travis Varcoe speaking out against morons who racially vilify footy players. Good on him. He’s come a long way from the guy who posted these comments 10 years ago.

"White friends are for a while. Black friends are for life,".
“White friends will leave you behind if that's what the crowd is doing. Black friends will kick the whole crowd's ass that left you."
You may be a little shocked to hear this tim,

But what you did there is textbook dog whistling

Pretend to say one thing, with a high frequency other story.

I told you youde be surprised.

Outraged even?

all perfectly normal emotions in the racial intolerance thread

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
easy said:

Outraged even?

As usual your incoherent tryhard ramblings mean I can’t be shocked or outraged.

But being lectured about intolerance is cute coming from you. Keep up the good work.

E

easy_tiger

tigertim said:

But being lectured about intolerance is cute coming from you. Keep up the good work.
I did warn ya.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
tigertim said:

as usual you have no grasp of the issue. Wilfully or not

LeeToRainesToRoach

Get out Gillon
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
easy said:

Outraged even?

Trap has likely matured and outgrown the attitudes he held at that time. But what enters cyberspace, stays in cyberspace.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
tigertim said:
As usual you come swaying in to protect your brother. Pathetic.
Its not that usual, he doesn't need protecting, and even if it was usual he needed protecting, why is that pathetic?

Anyway, you either have zero grasp of the issue or are wilfully ignorant. Gotta point it out occasionally, even if after however many years I'm fully aware its pointless.

E

easy_tiger

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Trap has likely matured and outgrown the attitudes he held at that time. But what enters cyberspace, stays in cyberspace.
Yes

tigertim said:
As usual you come swaying in
Ive told you before bruz, if your gonna protect me, stay sober

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
tigersnake said:
Its not that usual, he doesn't need protecting, and even if it was usual he needed protecting, why is that pathetic?

Anyway, you either have zero grasp of the issue or are wilfully ignorant. Gotta point it out occasionally, even if after however many years I'm fully aware its pointless.
Haha, you DO have a sense of humour!

As I have no respect for your narrow, intolerant views that lack objectivity I agree, it’s pointless.

E

easy_tiger

I dont understand why you take it personally tt

I was calling out the language and technique, as i will everytime, in cyberspace and real life.

I wasnt being personal at all.

You may need to whistle at a higher frequency or try an easier target, or both?

Cause you dont seem to have got any howls?

Being the acute optimist i am,

I chose to believe that the racial intolerance thread,

Is evolving into something less unpleasant?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
tigertim said:
Haha, you DO have a sense of humour!

As I have no respect for your narrow, intolerant views that lack objectivity I agree, it’s pointless.
I'm the one with the narrow intolerant views that lack objectivity? whatevs. I had a go at logical rational debate once upon a time, many moons ago back in the spud era, waste of time.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Get out Gillon
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
easy said:
I dont understand why you take it personally tt

I was calling out the language and technique, as i will everytime, in cyberspace and real life.

I wasnt being personal at all.

You may need to whistle at a higher frequency or try an easier target, or both?

Cause you dont seem to have got any howls?

Being the acute optimist i am,

I chose to believe that the racial intolerance thread,

Is evolving into something less unpleasant?
On reading the article in the HS, the same incident came to mind. I posted something similar to tigertim at the HS, twice, in different forms. Neither made it past the moderator. Seems to be a bit of a double standard when it comes to racism, even if merely citing facts.

As said earlier, Varcoe has probably matured since then. Probably. I wouldn't really know unless the question was put to him.