Radical change to the rules | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Radical change to the rules

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
Absolutely.
They will ping him as soon as he gets tackled
If they are watching him that closely perhaps he might start getting a few more frees paid his way - you know the frees that are meant to be paid for holding prior to taking possession!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
If they are watching him that closely perhaps he might start getting a few more frees paid his way - you know the frees that are meant to be paid for holding prior to taking possession!

Dream on . . . that rule seemingly does not exist any more, at least I haven't seen any evidence that holding the man is still a rule. Watch some games from a few decades ago and you will see players allowed to attempt to gain possession of the ball unmolested. You now see players not wanting to take possession which is a travesty, the ball should always be the main priority but players now tap it on or try and knock it to a team mate because they know if they take possession, they will be tackled before they have the ball and then pinged. It is a mess.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Stackey

Tiger Rookie
Jan 13, 2022
Dream on . . . that rule seemingly does not exist any more, at least I haven't seen any evidence that holding the man is still a rule. Watch some games from a few decades ago and you will see players allowed to attempt to gain possession of the ball unmolested. You now see players not wanting to take possession which is a travesty, the ball should always be the main priority but players now tap it on or try and knock it to a team mate because they know if they take possession, they will be tackled before they have the ball and then pinged. It is a mess.

DS
Sounds a bit like our chaos ball movement that helped win our GFs...

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
If this is umpired properly it should benefit us as we’re a high tackling side , can’t tell ya how many times we will have an opening stanza we go ballistic with pressure and tackles and wouldn’t get bloody one paid htb

Plus our players are less inclined to intentionally draw high free kicks, whereas other clubs may sweat watching a few of their players attempt to actually play the game in pressure moments that they habitually prefer to escape from.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Plus our players are less inclined to intentionally draw high free kicks, whereas other clubs may sweat watching a few of their players attempt to actually play the game in pressure moments that they habitually prefer to escape from.
watched a couple of games from 2013 recently and jakey King was an expert at it. Apart from Duckwood, as good as there has been

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Hadn't realised until recently that the women play with a much smaller footy.
I couldn't help but wonder what impact it would have on the men's game if they reduced the size of the ball slightly?

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
watched a couple of games from 2013 recently and jakey King was an expert at it. Apart from Duckwood, as good as there has been

Jake certainly knew how to elicit a crowd reaction! Especially against Collingwood.

The two reinterpretations both seem to increase the risk of playing a fast brand of football, while removing a staple from the slow gameplan's blueprint.

Can the Geelong players be methodical under pressure without drawing free kicks to slow down play? Can they benefit from strong tackling allowing them to reset play?

Can our players avoid being tackled during our handball surges? Can we play-on quickly enough if we catch an opponent for HTB at times when the ball would normally spill loose and we'd be off?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Rewarding the tackler for a good tackle would have excited me a couple of years ago. But one of the glaring issues we had last year is that we couldn't seem to stick a tackle. Opposition was just carving us up and our guys looked like they were hoping for a high five when the opposition brushed them aside.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Rewarding the tackler for a good tackle would have excited me a couple of years ago. But one of the glaring issues we had last year is that we couldn't seem to stick a tackle. Opposition was just carving us up and our guys looked like they were hoping for a high five when the opposition brushed them aside.

One situation that might immediately advantage us is if the players who would've ducked instead end up panicking in congestion and walking into our bear hug tackles before it gets out.

It's easier to get HTB from that 1st or 2nd possession in tight while their feet are planted than it is to get HTB from a fast chain of handballs in space while they're already at pace.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I'm pretty glad I've seen 17, 19 and 20, because every year the rules are changed in a circular often erroneous manner erodes my interest in the game.

Reactions: 5 users

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Throw it in
Nah - They'll have a decision matrix for that.

Is it a West Coast home game? West Coast kick.
Is it a Bulldogs game? Bull Dogs kick.
Did the pack include Patrick Dangerfield? Free kick Paddy.
Does the game involve Richmond? Clearly off a Richmond player - Free kick to the oppo.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users