Rance replacement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rance replacement

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I think Balta can be whatever he wants, certainly a key defender in the Rance mould.

Probably the best equipped physically of any AFL player ever, just needs to harness it.
Physically a bigger stronger faster alex rance.

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
You don’t replace.

The back 6 that won a flag start.

Rance wasn’t in that.

Reactions: 1 user

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
To give miller the benefit of doubt the guy has been injured

He was highly rated by the club when drafted and has a huge tank and elite pace as well as size and leap , Sometimes things take time
Took Rance 4/5 years

Reactions: 2 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Interesting to see a mature aged key defender, Nathan Cooper, has just been added to the VFL squad. A good way to audition a player for a potential SPP spot? Looks like a good-sized unit, too.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Rance was better in his early years than some are making out. Averaged almost 14 disposals in first season he played AFL level (2nd year). Then he had that massive head knock concussion which put him out for a while and affected his confidence somewhat when he came back. I'd put Rance well ahead of Balta and Miller at that stage but of course we didn't have the luxury of playing our better younger players in the reserves in those days as we do now so I have high hopes for the likes of Balta. Not as convinced about Miller. Really finds it hard to get into it at VFL level. He is only 20 though but would like to see some decent improvement this year (minus injury concerns).

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW

He was highly rated by the club when drafted and has a huge tank and elite pace as well as size and leap , Sometimes things take time
Took Rance 4/5 years

Agree

Too early to judge Miller. Think Soldo.

Miller came from a mile behind all the other kids and played catch up in his first year. The 2017/18 preseason was virtually his first look at elite training systems. Then in the 2018/19 preseason he had a hip operation that saw him start late. So this preseason is about his first full time training.

Lets just see what he shows through 2020 in the VFL and how he develops.

Still backing him but he is more a replacement for Astbury than Rance.

Reactions: 4 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria

Took Rance 4/5 years

He has played 36 games in the VFL in 2 years out of a possible 41 !

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Balta will be fine. Has all the attributes. Just needs Leppitsch guidance & time as a permanent key back in VFL. Rance took 60-70 games to produce elite performance too.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Balta will be fine. Has all the attributes. Just needs Leppitsch guidance & time as a permanent key back in VFL. Rance took 60-70 games to produce elite performance too.

Why are people assuming Balta will be a backman? Unlike Rance that's not where he's been playing in the VFL.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne

Took Rance 4/5 years
That’s a very good point , my only worry is that he rarely gets more than a handful of possies. Hope he comes thru another pre season with a step up