Rd 11 v Port Melbourne | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rd 11 v Port Melbourne

We've got a good group of VFL players, they are all pulling their weight. Will be a few unlucky to be omitted as we get more players back from injury.

Reactions: 1 user
I still don't know what the boys' internal joke is on placing their hand on a teammates' thigh when posturing for photos. It's been around for years.

Funny stuff.:mhihi

1717857941507.png

Thoughts on Trezise and Smiths games ?

Think they are both crucial to our success going forward , Smith might be a tad better then a half back imho

Davidson certainly has something. Medium forward with 16 disposals. 5 tackles and 4 goals. Running machine.
DOCTOR AND DRAFT HOPE: RISING TIGER DUAL THREAT

Paul Amy - CODE Sports
They call him “Doc’’.
Of course they do. When he’s not playing for Richmond’s VFL team, Sam Davidson is studying medicine at Monash University.
At AFL and VFL level, the Tigers have had a wretched run with injuries this year.
If asked, Davidson could have made a decent diagnosis of each of them.
“Probably, but I tend to leave that to the trained doctors and physios,’’ he says with a laugh.
“I don’t want to stick myself into that. They know a fair bit more than I do.’’
The long injury list at Punt Rd opened a door for first-year player Davidson, and he’s taken his chances with an assurance and influence that suggests he may be an AFL draft prospect come November.
The 191cm right-footer has played predominantly in the forward line, but also on the wing and even in the ruck, showing a versatility to go with his natural ability.
The 22-year-old is completing an Honours year this year, giving him more flexibility with his football. In previous years he played it around his medical placements, which explains his busy PlayHQ profile.
In 2022, Davidson did his rounds at a hospital in central Gippsland and lined up with Sale City in the North Gippsland league. Last year, he played a few games for South Mildura and then a few more for Maffra in the strong Gippsland competition. It wasn’t until his stint in the Sunraysia league, as he attended the Mildura Base Public Hospital, that he thought about playing at a higher level.
South Mildura said it had contacts in the SANFL and could arrange something. Knowing another placement would keep him in Victoria, Davidson passed on it.
But a Sale City official with ties to Richmond coach Steve Morris opened up an opportunity at Tigerland. Contact was made, a pre-season invitation was extended and he was a late signing.
“I think I was in the second group of new players to get signed,’’ Davidson says.
“They held off for a little while. I was a bit uncertain, because you never know what they’re after. I hoped I would get one (a contract) but I was never 100 per cent confident.’’
Overlooked for selection in the first two rounds, he has played every game since.
In Round 9, he kicked three goals and had 20 touches against Essendon. In Round 11, it was four goals and 17 disposals against Port Melbourne.
Tigers VFL general manager and recruiter Oliver Grant calls Davidson an exciting prospect’’. “His running capacity and his ability to cover the ground, he’s the best at it on our VFL list and he’d give a lot of the AFL boys a fair shake as well,’’ Grant says.
Davidson has taken the road less travelled to get to this point in his football. He played juniors at East Brighton Vampires and then Ormond, but he says he was never in the frame for Sandringham Dragons squads.
In his final year at St Kevin’s College, he split his time between the first and second teams. Coming out of Covid, Davidson joined the St Kevin’s Under 19s in the VAFA.
It was only then that he felt his football improving. He played 10 games in the Premier Under 19 competition and was named in the best five times.
He certainly had the confidence of Maffra senior coach Anthony Robbins last year. Tracking Davidson’s progress at Richmond, Robbins has not been surprised by his rise.
He saw a “pretty special footballer, tall and quick, could turn on a dime, big motor, knows where the goals are’’. Robbins recalls a conversation with Davidson in which he said he was going to ease back on his medical studies for a year and “have a real crack at my football’’.
“I said, ‘Well, make sure you do that mate, because you don’t ever want to kick yourself that you didn’t try it’,’’ he says.
“I think there’s something there … the size of his tank, his fitness level, his ball-handling. They’ve got to have a bit of footy IQ too.’’
As he did medical placements in regional Victoria, Davidson felt a connection to his country clubs.
“They were my family for the last couple of years – I loved every minute of being there.’’
Davidson did hear “a couple of whispers’’ that he might be picked up in the mid-season rookie draft, “but nothing too concrete’’. “Obviously nothing transpired in the end but you never know what can happen. Hopefully I can keep playing good footy and clubs take a bit of interest in me,’’ he says.
“I’m just enjoying it really. I can only speak for the VFL program but the culture at Richmond is awesome.
“We’ve had plenty of injuries but we’ve still been playing some really good footy. To beat Port how we did (by 49 points) was a testament to the program and all the boys involved.’’
With four goals, “Doc’’ Davidson certainly did his bit.

Reactions: 4 users

Paul Amy - CODE Sports
They call him “Doc’’.
Of course they do. When he’s not playing for Richmond’s VFL team, Sam Davidson is studying medicine at Monash University.
At AFL and VFL level, the Tigers have had a wretched run with injuries this year.
“Probably, but I tend to leave that to the trained doctors and physios,’’ he says with a laugh.
The long injury list at Punt Rd opened a door for first-year player Davidson, and he’s taken his chances with an assurance and influence that suggests he may be an AFL draft prospect come November.
The 191cm right-footer has played predominantly in the forward line, but also on the wing and even in the ruck, showing a versatility to go with his natural ability.
The 22-year-old is completing an Honours year this year, giving him more flexibility with his football. In previous years he played it around his medical placements, which explains his busy PlayHQ profile.
In 2022, Davidson did his rounds at a hospital in central Gippsland and lined up with Sale City in the North Gippsland league. Last year, he played a few games for South Mildura and then a few more for Maffra in the strong Gippsland competition. It wasn’t until his stint in the Sunraysia league, as he attended the Mildura Base Public Hospital, that he thought about playing at a higher level.
South Mildura said it had contacts in the SANFL and could arrange something. Knowing another placement would keep him in Victoria, Davidson passed on it.
But a Sale City official with ties to Richmond coach Steve Morris opened up an opportunity at Tigerland. Contact was made, a pre-season invitation was extended and he was a late signing.
“I think I was in the second group of new players to get signed,’’ Davidson says.
“They held off for a little while. I was a bit uncertain, because you never know what they’re after. I hoped I would get one (a contract) but I was never 100 per cent confident.’’
Overlooked for selection in the first two rounds, he has played every game since.
In Round 9, he kicked three goals and had 20 touches against Essendon. In Round 11, it was four goals and 17 disposals against Port Melbourne.
Tigers VFL general manager and recruiter Oliver Grant calls Davidson an exciting prospect’’. “His running capacity and his ability to cover the ground, he’s the best at it on our VFL list and he’d give a lot of the AFL boys a fair shake as well,’’ Grant says.
Davidson has taken the road less travelled to get to this point in his football. He played juniors at East Brighton Vampires and then Ormond, but he says he was never in the frame for Sandringham Dragons squads.
In his final year at St Kevin’s College, he split his time between the first and second teams. Coming out of Covid, Davidson joined the St Kevin’s Under 19s in the VAFA.
It was only then that he felt his football improving. He played 10 games in the Premier Under 19 competition and was named in the best five times.
He certainly had the confidence of Maffra senior coach Anthony Robbins last year. Tracking Davidson’s progress at Richmond, Robbins has not been surprised by his rise.
He saw a “pretty special footballer, tall and quick, could turn on a dime, big motor, knows where the goals are’’. Robbins recalls a conversation with Davidson in which he said he was going to ease back on his medical studies for a year and “have a real crack at my football’’.
“I said, ‘Well, make sure you do that mate, because you don’t ever want to kick yourself that you didn’t try it’,’’ he says.
“I think there’s something there … the size of his tank, his fitness level, his ball-handling. They’ve got to have a bit of footy IQ too.’’
As he did medical placements in regional Victoria, Davidson felt a connection to his country clubs.
“They were my family for the last couple of years – I loved every minute of being there.’’
Davidson did hear “a couple of whispers’’ that he might be picked up in the mid-season rookie draft, “but nothing too concrete’’. “Obviously nothing transpired in the end but you never know what can happen. Hopefully I can keep playing good footy and clubs take a bit of interest in me,’’ he says.
“I’m just enjoying it really. I can only speak for the VFL program but the culture at Richmond is awesome.
“We’ve had plenty of injuries but we’ve still been playing some really good footy. To beat Port how we did (by 49 points) was a testament to the program and all the boys involved.’’
'Doc' is a brilliant nickname for him.

Paul Amy - CODE Sports
They call him “Doc’’.
If he ends up at another club I will fair dinkum :vomitup

Reactions: 2 users