RD 15 Crowds Update | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

RD 15 Crowds Update

Feb 25, 2007
After a month without crowds at Melbourne games, fans are set to return to the MCG for Round 15. But what will the ‘magic number’ be?
Sam Landsberger and Jon Ralph - Herald Sun
June 20, 202

Footy fans will almost certainly return to the MCG on Friday night with crowd capacities of up to 30,000 set to be allowed.
The AFL’s application for the Victorian Government to sign off on a 50 per cent crowd capacity in Melbourne is expected to be denied in coming days.

It is understood 20-30 per is likely to be the magic number when Victorian health officials meet early this week to thrash out the return of crowds, pending the continued containment of the virus.

The expected outcome is 30 per cent, which would allow 30,000 fans to attend the MCG, and was also the number that was set for last year’s Boxing Day Test against India.

A decision is likely to be made on Monday or Tuesday, which will provide enough time for fans to purchase tickets and for venues and AFL clubs to prepare.

The AFL expects its Round 15 schedule will proceed as planned if there is not an escalation in Covid figures across Australia, with a positive case in Queensland on Sunday and the NSW cluster now up to nine.

With the NSW border not closed by South Australia, Sydney is expected to be allowed into the state without 60 hours of quarantine to take on Port Adelaide on Saturday night.

And Fremantle will likely fly into Melbourne on Friday to take on Collingwood the following day.

Richmond is expected to play in front of a small home crowd against St Kilda on Friday night. Picture: Michael Klein

Richmond is expected to play in front of a small home crowd against St Kilda on Friday night. Picture: Michael Klein
The AFL’s hope is that continuing low coronavirus numbers over the weekend continue — there were zero positives on Sunday — allows the Government to continue to ease restrictions.

That 20-30 per cent figure shapes as a blow to Richmond and Essendon, who had been desperately hoping that a joint push by the AFL and Melbourne Cricket Club to secure up to 50,000 fans at their home MCG matches in round 15 would be approved.

The Tigers host St Kilda on Friday night while the Bombers host the ladder-leading Demons on Saturday night.

Friday will mark 33 days since an AFL game in Melbourne has been staged in front of spectators.

The Victorian Government has not yet publicly committed to allowing fans to return in Melbourne and on Sunday it said “medical advice” would determine this week’s decisions.

But all signs point to a combined crowd of up to 60,000 fans attending next week’s MCG matches.

While the AFL applied for 50 per cent capacity, the approval of a smaller figure will at least ensure those games remain at the MCG.

Recent matches between Richmond-Essendon (Perth Stadium), Melbourne-Collingwood (SCG) and Hawthorn-Essendon (Launceston) were all relocated interstate because the MCG could not host crowds.

The Victorian Government allowed a 20 per cent capacity crowd (7000) made up of locals to attend Geelong’s home game at GMHBA Stadium on Friday night.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
The risk is being caught up in an exposure site and having to test and isolate. It's a very real risk after being on a train, in the pub, then at the game and on a train home again.

Feb 25, 2007
As it is our home game surely we only give St. Kilda no more than 500 tickets
RD 1 we gave Carlton 2,500 tickets from the 28,000 available in the public reserve.

For Friday night: 30% of The public reserve is around 16,800 seats
AFL reserve 6,300
MCC reserve 6,900
= 30,000

Cats v dogs 7,000 max capacity, Dogs only got 200 tickets!

Last edited:

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Tigers get a small home ground majority crowed at the G hey.

Has Kaneoh the Kock been consulted........ he'll have a turn when he finds out.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
And there will be 30,000 people at the G all crowded down one end.
Yep. That just makes it heaps easier for the Govt to find us if someone farts. Got bugger all to do with keeping everyone socially distanced as was shown by the Moggies game on Fri night.

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Yep. That just makes it heaps easier for the Govt to find us if someone farts. Got bugger all to do with keeping everyone socially distanced as was shown by the Moggies game on Fri night.
Nah all good. Cram 30k into a few bays and we'll suffocate the rona virus.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
The way they crowded the 7000 allowed fans into one or two bays at Kardinia Park won't help the AFL argument to increase crowd numbers. Whatever numbers that are allowed this week need to be spread around the grounds even if it causes ground management and caterers to suffer a small loss.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
with 30,000 for Friday, i reckon anyone who wants a ticket will probably get one. i don’t think people are that keen to return to an event with a large crowd. It will take a few weeks with no issues to gain peoples confidence. Let’s not forget that positive cases went to the footy at the beginning of this outbreak.

Reactions: 1 users
Feb 25, 2007
The way they crowded the 7000 allowed fans into one or two bays at Kardinia Park won't help the AFL argument to increase crowd numbers. Whatever numbers that are allowed this week need to be spread around the grounds even if it causes ground management and caterers to suffer a small loss.

It was hilarious, all crammed in, defeats the purpose.

Feb 25, 2007
It was a joke and a bad look. What's the point of crowd restrictions?

By cramming everyone in together on the wing, it means only a select amount of food stalls are open in the stand so everyone would be lining up closely together.
And while I'm at it what about the toilets, these would be jam-packed.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
By cramming everyone in together on the wing, it means only a select amount of food stalls are open in the stand so everyone would be lining up closely together.
And while I'm at it what about the toilets, these would be jam-packed.
I must buy a different brand of jam to you.

• Haha

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
with 30,000 for Friday, i reckon anyone who wants a ticket will probably get one. i don’t think people are that keen to return to an event with a large crowd. It will take a few weeks with no issues to gain peoples confidence. Let’s not forget that positive cases went to the footy at the beginning of this outbreak.
*smile* the cooties. Soon as they put tickets up I'm in.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
It was hilarious, all crammed in, defeats the purpose.

I guess it depends what the purpose of the crowd restrictions are.

If they are purely about the crowd, I totally agree. If they are more focused on getting to and from the footy, then maybe thats the reason (but I'll bet all the trains are still completely rammed)

Born_a_Tiger78

Tiger Rookie
Jul 16, 2008
I guess it depends what the purpose of the crowd restrictions are.

If they are purely about the crowd, I totally agree. If they are more focused on getting to and from the footy, then maybe thats the reason (but I'll bet all the trains are still completely rammed)
I think the purpose is to make the probability of an unknown case being at the ground as close to zero as possible, rather than any specific "social distancing" requirements.

They would have an assumption that there are a number of unidentified cases within the community. The number would extremely conservative.

If they assume 100 unknown cases, and there is, say, 6 million people who might go to the football, there's a 0.5% chance that in a crowd of 30,000 that one person might be one of the unknown cases. If the crowd is 20,000, the risk is 0.33%.

The lower the number of "assumed" unknown case, the greater the crowd numbers.

mjb

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2007
My ticket is in my digital membership tonight and it wasn’t this morning. Hello normal seat, I’ve missed you.