Reece Conca - so long and thanks for all the fish | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Reece Conca - so long and thanks for all the fish

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
SCOOP said:
Same player he was with us. Just at a more expensive price.

Its true. Same analysis on here too, some only saw the clangers and ignored all the hard tough work at the coalface.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
2010 draft: Conca - 668 pages
2009 draft: Dusty - 669 pages

The most fulfilling and the most frustrating of expectations from first round picks from two consecutive years. I've rarely discussed Conca with people in real life, but Dusty comes up all the time. They generated the same amount of discussion for each on the internet.

I'm guessing this says something pretty interesting. Something about the internet being misrepresentative of what people actually like to talk about in real life. But do people say what they really think online, or do they mean what they really mean in real life when they don't say it?

Perhaps most importantly, they reflect early changes in how people think and communicate now at the dawn of the Internet Era. If you think about human history over thousands of years, this point in time will likely be remembered as a key point of communicative and cultural change. Who knows, perhaps in 500 years this period in time will be studied at universities by students and researchers the same way people today analyse old Egyptian language? Which means, one day people could be looking back over primitive internet communication records like these to understand human psychology.

God help them if they do :hihi

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
tigersnake said:
Its true. Same analysis on here too, some only saw the clangers and ignored all the hard tough work at the coalface.

Funny thing is he's not a huge clearance/contested ball winner for a bloke who you've argued does the hard tough work at the coalface. Never has been. He's actually got extremely low clearance stats for a mid. But he has average disposal efficiency for one with low contested ball and clearance numbers and is big on clangers.

It's clear that 18yr old Jack Ross is already an upgrade.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
MD Jazz said:
Funny thing is he's not a huge clearance/contested ball winner for a bloke who you've argued does the hard tough work at the coalface. Never has been. He's actually got extremely low clearance stats for a mid. But he has average disposal efficiency for one with low contested ball and clearance numbers and is big on clangers.

A is a upgrade

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
MD Jazz said:

Ross is an upgrade for sure. "extremely low clearance stats" is *smile*.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
123kid said:
2010 draft: Conca - 668 pages
2009 draft: Dusty - 669 pages

The most fulfilling and the most frustrating of expectations from first round picks from two consecutive years. I've rarely discussed Conca with people in real life, but Dusty comes up all the time. They generated the same amount of discussion for each on the internet.

I'm guessing this says something pretty interesting. Something about the internet being misrepresentative of what people actually like to talk about in real life. But do people say what they really think online, or do they mean what they really mean in real life when they don't say it?

Perhaps most importantly, they reflect early changes in how people think and communicate now at the dawn of the Internet Era. If you think about human history over thousands of years, this point in time will likely be remembered as a key point of communicative and cultural change. Who knows, perhaps in 500 years this period in time will be studied at universities by students and researchers the same way people today analyse old Egyptian language? Which means, one day people could be looking back over primitive internet communication records like these to understand human psychology.

God help them if they do :hihi

There's a few Dusty threads, the one you quoted started in 2016.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
MD Jazz said:

In 2019 Jack Ross is averaging 3.2 clearances a game and Reece 1.7.

As other examples Prestia averages 5.7 this season, Lambert 2.9, Dusty 3.3, Baker 2.0, Cotch 6.7, Jack Graham 2.8. Some of Reece’s Fremantle teammates: Mundy 6.6, Fyfe 8.0, Walters 3.6, Langdon 2.3, Brayshaw 2.1
So yep, Reece at 1.7 is a low clearance player.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
MD Jazz said:

As ever, you don’t really know what you’re talking about *smile*. Bald clearance stats ain’t the half of centre square craft.

Yes, conca could spray it. Yes, he was injury prone.

But when fit, his work in close (bullocking, blocking, tackling, even tagging in brief spurts) was pretty damn good.

He’s precisely the type of player we could do with in the middle right now.

Yes, Ross has more upside. Yes, clearing Reece was the best long-term option. But assessing Conca through such a limited lens, whilst hardly surprising, does you little credit.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
123kid said:
They got merged

Not quite. The one starting in 2016 only has posts from 2016 onwards. The old threads were locked or moved. Like this one for example: http://puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=51696.0 179 pages of it.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Is he playing? Hopefully he does. Massive turn over merchant
Totally destroyed them last week.
Could’ve had them back in the game, but missed a 25 metre pass.

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
zippadeee said:
Is he playing? Hopefully he does. Massive turn over merchant
Totally destroyed them last week.
Could’ve had them back in the game, but missed a 25 metre pass.

our luck will be he plays the one turn over free game against us.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Baron Samedi said:
As ever, you don’t really know what you’re talking about . Bald clearance stats ain’t the half of centre square craft.

Yes, conca could spray it. Yes, he was injury prone.

But when fit, his work in close (bullocking, blocking, tackling, even tagging in brief spurts) was pretty damn good.

He’s precisely the type of player we could do with in the middle right now.

Yes, Ross has more upside. Yes, clearing Reece was the best long-term option. But assessing Conca through such a limited lens, whilst hardly surprising, does you little credit.

Was waiting for the "no he doesn't get it much nor do much good with it but watch him bullock & block" type post.

No one quotes stats when it doesn't suit their argument. Unfortunately they don't keep stats on blocks and bullocks, I'm sure Reece would shine if they did.

Let's hope he plays a typical Conca game.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
MD Jazz said:
Was waiting for the "no he doesn't get it much nor do much good with it but watch him bullock & block" type post.

No one quotes stats when it doesn't suit their argument. Unfortunately they don't keep stats on blocks and bullocks, I'm sure Reece would shine if they did.

Let's hope he plays a typical Conca game.

The television screen only gives you so much, Jazz. I suggest a club membership or perhaps mcc.

Conca had limitations but was better than you and others think. Personally I’m glad we upgraded, like any good club does, but he will serve Fremantle well.

E

easy_tiger

Reecy was a decent player with an admirable toolkit. He was cruelled by injury and being picked at 6 and had limitations that most tiger fans found hard to accept.

I lay close to halfway between snakes and zips opinions of him. Probably under halfway, about 15% toward snakes cosy end of the bell curve.

I haven't seen him play for Freo.

I hope he plays uncharacteristically soft and unaccountable.

why are we writing about him again?

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
easy said:
Reecy was a decent player with an admirable toolkit. He was cruelled by injury and being picked at 6 and had limitations that most tiger fans found hard to accept.

I lay close to halfway between snakes and zips opinions of him. Probably under halfway, about 15% toward snakes cosy end of the bell curve.

I haven't seen him play for Freo.

I hope he plays uncharacteristically soft and unaccountable.

why are we writing about him again?

One thing he won't be is soft and unaccountable, we would all agree on that. No doubting his courage and hardness, but that also went for Hislop & Thomas.

E

easy_tiger

MD Jazz said:
One thing he won't be is soft and unaccountable, we would all agree on that.

can we all agree he was very good in traffic as well?

As in, 25% as good as Sydney Stack?

I think Snake would accept that.