Regrets, I've had a few, but then again there's three cups to mention... - Former Tiger Trade Debates | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Regrets, I've had a few, but then again there's three cups to mention... - Former Tiger Trade Debates

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Whilst it may not be a popular choice i really want Josh Green to be the 'other' player to get the last remaining spot on the list
He just has that size that we are lacking in the midfield currently unless RCD makes the grade and also has the size to be that swingman to compliment the boys we have.

Also the brother factor

Reactions: 5 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
What's Green's athleticism like? There must be a knock on him so what is it that's held him back?
The whole industry is obsessed with athleticism which I get because it’s such a running game now. Got to be careful about relying solely on stats for it though. It’s how most clubs missed out on Cripps.
Green’s deficiencies definitely not in his marking or clearance work. Seems to have a decent work rate and a hoof on him too. If he can collect contested ball and distribute I can’t see why you wouldn’t take the punt. As I said on another thread, looks like he can go forward as the 3rd tall too

Reactions: 2 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
We do value athleticism though, which is what's held Caddy back and seen Higgins traded despite their outstanding footy IQ.
We definitely value athletes however.....
Didn’t Higgins request a trade after playing 10 games last year? Big difference to the assertion that we traded him. We simply have a policy of not standing in someone’s way if they want to leave. Pre brain injury, he was best 22 comfortably.
And Caddy is a 2 time Premiership player and I’d suggest that if Green is as good as Caddy, I’d sign him today!

Reactions: 4 users

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Higlett would have been played if he covered the ground better. Dow pushed past him despite having no VFL form. Aarts, Ross, RCD and maybe Martyn pushing ahead. Stack too (pre-lockup) and MRJ coming. The writing was on the wall for Higlett due to athleticism, not ability or work ethic or cultural fit.

Reactions: 6 users

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Higlett would have been played if he covered the ground better. Dow pushed past him despite having no VFL form. Aarts, Ross, RCD and maybe Martyn pushing ahead. Stack too (pre-lockup) and MRJ coming. The writing was on the wall for Higlett due to athleticism, not ability or work ethic or cultural fit.
Agree.

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
We definitely value athletes however.....
Didn’t Higgins request a trade after playing 10 games last year? Big difference to the assertion that we traded him. We simply have a policy of not standing in someone’s way if they want to leave. Pre brain injury, he was best 22 comfortably.
And Caddy is a 2 time Premiership player and I’d suggest that if Green is as good as Caddy, I’d sign him today!
We don't have a policy of not standing in someone's way if they want to leave.
We do have a policy of not standing in someone's way if they want to leave, and we think we have the cattle to cover them.

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
He left because he knew he was not best 22 quality. When Aarts got selected in front of him, it was the writing on the wall he was a reserves player.
Plain and simple.
He has no competition at Stkilda.
Duds like Lonie, Kent and Sinclair are his only competition.
At punt Rd he had Rioli, Castagnfield, Bolton, Farts, Graham, Bolton and Robbie Powell in front of him.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Apparently Higlet had run out of funny jokes as well

• Haha

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Im more upset losing Bulter and Markov then Higgins.
I couldnt believe we used our first pick on him, when kids like Oscar Allen were still available.

fargothegreat

Tiger Cub
Sep 10, 2014
Im more upset losing Bulter and Markov then Higgins.
I couldnt believe we used our first pick on him, when kids like Oscar Allen were still available.
Markov would be a lock for our round 1 side if he had stuck around. Definitely missing a bit of depth across half back with Houli struggling to get fit.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
We don't have a policy of not standing in someone's way if they want to leave.
We do have a policy of not standing in someone's way if they want to leave, and we think we have the cattle to cover them.
Let’s hope the throngs on PRE don’t bleat like they did when Butler made AA squad.
I’m not particularly a Higgins fan myself but was merely suggesting that we didn’t trade him. Big difference.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Markov would be a lock for our round 1 side if he had stuck around. Definitely missing a bit of depth across half back with Houli struggling to get fit.
I would've kept Markov and got rid of others.
He knows our style and when played he played well.
Not sure why our players are worthless in the open market.
25 year old kid in his prime for a 3rd rounder. No good

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
The whole industry is obsessed with athleticism which I get because it’s such a running game now. Got to be careful about relying solely on stats for it though. It’s how most clubs missed out on Cripps.
Green’s deficiencies definitely not in his marking or clearance work. Seems to have a decent work rate and a hoof on him too. If he can collect contested ball and distribute I can’t see why you wouldn’t take the punt. As I said on another thread, looks like he can go forward as the 3rd tall too
Agree. He seems like the obvious choice for us

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Let’s hope the throngs on PRE don’t bleat like they did when Butler made AA squad.
I’m not particularly a Higgins fan myself but was merely suggesting that we didn’t trade him. Big difference.
I was one who was ok with Butler leaving, as i thought we had similar players to cover him.
Getting the kyber from Richmond was the rocket he required to get fitter and become a stronger and more confident player at St Kilda.
He certainly exceeded my expectations last year, to the point there was a tinge of regret for a player who previously frustrated me.
Higgins can do well at StK, as he provides a need they were short on, and will slot in well there.
I'm still ok with him leaving.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Do you think Richmond got fair value for Butler?
Sharron Wellingham pick 17, dud
Chris Dawes pick 20 & 47, king dud
Paul Seedsman pick 32
Nathan Freedman 2nd round pick
James Aish pick 26 + 2nd rounder

Reactions: 1 user