Regrets, I've had a few, but then again there's three cups to mention... - Former Tiger Trade Debates | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Regrets, I've had a few, but then again there's three cups to mention... - Former Tiger Trade Debates

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Yeah, that's my entire point and has been since the trade. I'm not surprised the club stands by its choice; they'd hardly want to publicly admit it was a mistake.

So, out of interest, was Biggie in the room when Clarke made the comments?

They probably don't think it was a mistake

Reactions: 3 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Yeah, that's my entire point and has been since the trade. I'm not surprised the club stands by its choice; they'd hardly want to publicly admit it was a mistake.

So, out of interest, was Biggie in the room when Clarke made the comments?
So my take on this is that you now believe the club secretly agrees with you?
Wow.

Last edited:

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
They probably don't think it was a mistake
Who knows? You'd be naive to take public utterances as a reflection of private thoughts.

That said, it's irrelevant to the fact I believe Butler was given away too cheaply.
So my take on this is that you now believe the club secretly agrees with you?
What? Is a re-read in order?

I said 'my entire point' was that I have personal thoughts on the matter that don't align with the club's, yeah?

Now, answer my question please. I'm genuinely interested in whether Biggie was in the room when Clarke said we did 'well with the trade for Butler'.

I doubt he was, it's a long-shot, but if he was by some mysterious twist of fate, it'd be the sort of context I'd trust you would include for the sake of full disclosure.

Last edited:

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
That said, it's irrelevant to the fact I believe Butler was given away too cheaply.

What? Is a re-read in order?

I said 'my entire point' was that I have personal thoughts on the matter that don't align with the club's, yeah?

Now, answer my question please. I'm genuinely interested in whether Biggie was in the room when Clarke said we did 'well with the trade for Butler'.

I doubt he was, it's a long-shot, but if he was by some mysterious twist of fate, it'd be the sort of context I'd trust you would include for the sake of full disclosure.
Biggy was in the room. Totally irrelevant so didn’t feel the need to disclose. Clarke didn’t reference the draft pick connection at all. Went on to talk about how trading works and the clubs philosophy on trading Butler. Said they are genuinely happy with the result.
It seems to me you’re trying to draw a long bow by suggesting that Clarke was putting a positive spin to be kind because Biggy was in the room and that privately they were unhappy with the trade and agree with you it was given away too cheap.
If you weren’t and I’m reading too much into your coincidental curiosity about the presence of a player on our list being there out of a possible 46 others, I apologise.
For the record, MRJ was there too. Hope that’s relevant also.
Anyway I understand you are not happy with the compensation received but I was trying to clarify for others here that the club genuinely are satisfied for what it’s worth.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Who knows? You'd be naive to take public utterances as a reflection of private thoughts.

Biggy was in the room. Totally irrelevant so didn’t feel the need to disclose. Clarke didn’t reference the draft pick connection at all. Went on to talk about how trading works and the clubs philosophy on trading Butler. Said they are genuinely happy with the result.
It seems to me you’re trying to draw a long bow by suggesting that Clarke was putting a positive spin to be kind because Biggy was in the room and that privately they were unhappy with the trade and agree with you it was given away too cheap.
If you weren’t and I’m reading too much into your coincidental curiosity about the presence of a player on our list being there out of a possible 46 others, I apologise.
For the record, MRJ was there too. Hope that’s relevant also.
Anyway I understand you are not happy with the compensation received but I was trying to clarify for others here that the club genuinely are satisfied for what it’s worth.

Wait? Is Number8 unhappy with the compensation for Butler?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Biggy was in the room. Totally irrelevant so didn’t feel the need to disclose.
I'm not going to hang you out to dry, DA, but you simply cannot omit that detail from your account of Clarke's comments last night.

At best, it calls into question the credibility of his statement. At worst, it could appear you deliberately concealed the fact Biggie was there to falsely strengthen your own position.

Clarke would never have said the trade was a bust or even suggested the jury was out when he knew Biggie was there.

That said, I take you at your word that when you wrote the original post you felt it wasn't a relevant fact and thought nothing more of it. No drama with that.

But it also means I take Clarke's comments with a grain of salt.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Come and join the pile on, matey!

No-one's landed a decent blow yet ... what have you got for me?

:rotfl2
I need a rest.
I feel like George Foreman in Zaire.
I’ve landed a flurry of body blows but can’t seem to land the knock out punch.
So far you’ve covered up well but haven’t yet seen any indications of a miracle comeback from you. Might call it a draw and ring the bell.

• Haha

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Come and join the pile on, matey!

No-one's landed a decent blow yet ... what have you got for me?

:rotfl2

Agree Butler went for unders. Also like your persistence. Just cant see how we could have got any better for Butler from Saints - the only team wanting him. Yes l read your alternatives. Dont agree they work in the overall scheme.

I struggle to see where Butler fits in the current side. You say in place of Aarts but Aarts did not play in the Grand Final nor against Port or Saints. Aarts or Butler are not the long term answer. Good depth however cannot carry depth players indefinitely and they will earn more and get more games elsewhere.

I think the club has done well with the trades. If Butler didn't go then someone else is not on the list.

Overall l am looking forward to thie season and seeing the kids come on and later how we use the draft picks at the end of the year. Won't miss Butler nor Ellis nor Markov but hope they all play well for their new teams

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Not sure about Butler, but @AngryAnt and I are in furious talks with our list managers to make a significant play for Number 8 in the contrarian trade period this year.

On current form we are looking at offering 2 first rounders and a future second.

As usual. over paying for a dud from the opposition. :)):)):))

• Haha

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
As usual. over paying for a dud from the opposition. :)):)):))
Hah!

I was actually going to ask for a big, fat salary cheque. It's not easy going one-out against a mob that doesn't play nice.

I feel a bit like Chris Judd with his sore shoulders from having to carry the rest of my side!

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Not sure about Butler, but @AngryAnt and I are in furious talks with our list managers to make a significant play for Number 8 in the contrarian trade period this year.

On current form we are looking at offering 2 first rounders and a future second.
Hardly contrarian. Everyone knows we get better results with our second, third and fourth picks than we do with our first.

• Haha

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Hah!

I was actually going to ask for a big, fat salary cheque. It's not easy going one-out against a mob that doesn't play nice.

I feel a bit like Chris Judd with his sore shoulders from having to carry the rest of my side!
Good on ya No.8 you haven’t let anyone wear you down.
Tough hombre standing against overwhelming odds. You’re no shrinking violet. :clap2

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Hard to know whether he would better than b the performing Aarts in our squad right now but we don't miss him, or Higlet for that matter.