Religious discrimination bill | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Religious discrimination bill

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
It is interesting that now are starting to see the seeds of the reverse happening. Actively espousing hatred against homosexuals seems to be leading to some loss of acceptance in broader society and a reduction of opportunities happening per the Essendon CEO for a day event. Hiding hatred and abuse under belief is being exposed for what it is.

As a hypothetical exercise if a church 'believed' that pedophilia was good and supported by their god and any priest of that persuasion should be allowed to do what they want with kids of that persuasion they would end up in jail. Society would cast them out and end the organization (wouldn't they???)

It's not a far slope from this to churches being allowed to actively discriminate against homosexuals if that conflicts with their faith. It would seem that is illegal but religions want to get that protected via 'religious freedom'. Discrimination causes mental harm for sure. Not as visible as sexually abusing someone but can cause damage.

With Australia being one of the least religious countries in the world, it will be interesting how this evolves as non-religion maybe even moves to a majority of the population, and to what lengths the incumbents act to preserve their power.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/least-religious-countries (I guess in north korea you need to believe in the boss)

$30 billion a year supports religion. Would be good to see a party running on exempting this tax break. That money could do a lot more good elsewhere IMO. No wonder religion puts people in positions of power in government.

The tax relief to religious organisations is one of my biggest bugbears. I do think the number is inflated however because they do charitable activities that should attract tax relief.
Many religious based organisations other things that get caught up in their tax free status that shouldn’t. For example running private hospitals.
It needs to change

Reactions: 2 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
The tax relief to religious organisations is one of my biggest bugbears. I do think the number is inflated however because they do charitable activities that should attract tax relief.
Many religious based organisations other things that get caught up in their tax free status that shouldn’t. For example running private hospitals.
It needs to change

Yep so reduced tax or tax exemptions for activities that meet some social benefit criteria make sense. This could then be applied broadly. If there is efficient charity that gets replaced by inefficient government it may not play out that well.

Tax breaks for proselytising / worship / prayer / bibles / churches etc. needs to go (unless proselytising more richmond faithful)

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Yep so reduced tax or tax exemptions for activities that meet some social benefit criteria make sense. This could then be applied broadly. If there is efficient charity that gets replaced by inefficient government it may not play out that well.

Tax breaks for proselytising / worship / prayer / bibles / churches etc. needs to go (unless proselytising more richmond faithful)
we have a body the approves tax free status called the ACNC, the Australian Charities and Not for profits Commission. they have criteria to make these judgements
Proselytising / worship / prayer / bibles / churches should not be one of them
As an aside when a charitable institution works in aid and relief in foreign countries under the auspice of the UN they have to agree to not try and convert people or work as religious body at all. Similar criteria could be set for charitable institutions to get tax free status here

Reactions: 1 users